Click for Ocean Alexander Click for Burger Click for Nordhavn Click for Nordhavn Click for Delta

The Megger test

Discussion in 'Technical Discussion' started by dikikh.dm, May 8, 2015.

You need to be registered and signed in to view this content.
  1. dikikh.dm

dikikh.dm New Member

Good morning colleagues,

There's a need to carry out the megger test, in particular, to make sure that the insulation of the electrical equipment from the earth (the boat's hull) is good enough.
    Could somebody advice me if I understand this procedure correctly:
    1. Since we have only low voltage equipment onboard (220 and 400V), as I understand I can use the lowest megger check voltage.
    2. I switch off the breaker of the equipment I want to check.
    3. I connect the positive wire (crocodile) of the megger to the earth (the metal door of the junction box) and the negative one to the phase wire of the equipment.
    4. I activate the megger tester, check the reading and repeat it for all phase wires.

Is it right?

Thanks in advance.
    Best regards.
  2. K1W1

K1W1 Senior Member

Google How to megger test my motor and watch a few videos till you understand what megger testing is.

Given that you obviously think you have an idea and you are going to test every phase between itself and ground not the other phases and will use a moving hinged door as your earth point I
    would also suggest you ask someone who knows what they are doing to show you.

It will be safer for you and everybody else close by and probably a lot cheaper in the long run.