Click for Northern Lights Click for Mag Bay Click for Burger Click for Abeking Click for Burger

The magic of EXPERIENCE...

Discussion in 'Yacht Captains' started by Zibi, Aug 11, 2016.

You need to be registered and signed in to view this content.
  1. Ken Bracewell

Ken Bracewell Senior Member

I have no reason to doubt (or trust) that you have the skills required to be the captain of a Superyacht right now. What I am saying is that you'll, no doubt, have to prove them aboard a vessel while acting as a junior officer before being tapped for command. Owners, Management Companies, and Charter Brokers are not likely to roll the dice on someone who hasn't proven themselves in the yachting industry.
    You may be fighting an uphill battle due to your age, but you've a much greater hurdle (although surmountable) because of your commercial shipping background. You'll need to show that you have what it takes to run a yacht before you're given one of your own.

Imagine this scenario, and ask yourself how you would handle the situation:
    EVVIVA is a 50m yacht with a 10m beam and 2.4m draught. She's FRP construction, and the running gear is exposed (not protected by a keel).
    Yesterday, we visited the island of Vulaga, Fiji (pronounced, and sometimes spelled, Fulanga). The only available chart is BA 441, which is scaled at 1:400,000, so it is unusable for passing into the lagoon. The pass through the reef is 50m wide (with a 90-degree dogleg), and has depths ranging from 1m-10m, with breaking waves on either side of the pass. Slack water lasts for roughly 15 minutes, and is unpredictable as the closest tide station is 175nm.
    I have first hand accounts, from captains that I trust, that the pass is useable with caution given to multiple coral "bombies" in the pass. I trust these captains, but my boss doesn't know them at all and has no reason to trust third-hand knowledge when it comes to his safety. He wanted to visit this beautiful lagoon, so we decide to enter with caution. Throughout the transit my boss was standing over my shoulder, offering advice the entire way through the pass. All the while, I have one crew member passing advice to me from the bow, and my First Officer glued to the sonar and giving me readings.
    Did I need the boss' advice as well? No. But it made him feel more at ease to be standing there giving it.

Some captains would be annoyed or intimidated by the boss watching over like that. (Would this ever happen on a commercial ship?) But it's my job to make him happy, so if that means involving him in the navigation then so be it.

This is one small example of my day-to-day responsibilities. Again, I don't have any reason to doubt you could do well, but that would need to be proven.
    Last edited: Aug 12, 2016
  2. Zibi

Zibi New Member

Ken, thanks yours. As for Fulanga thing, well, that was the tough one for sure. I have no doubts you made the proper risk assessment and if only for a while you considered it too risky, you would convince your boss not to enter. Or perhaps under condition that he takes responsibility for any failure.
    I am sure you wouldn't put into harm's ways people you had aboard. Boss or not boss. That was tough and I wouldn't like to be in your shoes.
    Thus could you be so kind and elaborate a bit why you decided to enter the lagoon if it were so dangerous? Was it only a matter of pleasing your boss or fear of loosing face or anything different than that? I believe that even on a superyacht the final responsibility and decision belongs to the captain. Am I wrong?
    What I would do being there in your place? I don't know. But I know that I would try to tell the boss otherwise if my risk assessment told me "no go".
    Thanks again for your post. I appreciate.
    By the way, your boat looks far nicer than any of my box ships :)
  3. Ward

Ward Senior Member

I imagine it's a mixed blessing having a boss with so much of his own experience.
  4. Ken Bracewell

I did not say that I considered it dangerous; I felt it was an easily managed risk. If I was uncomfortable with the risk, I would certainly have the last word and we would not have entered. As a matter of fact, we did attempt it the day prior but arrived after the tide was running too strongly. So we went to a nearby island and waited for the next morning.
    I mention the story to point out that, while I was comfortable making the passage, I had an added distraction of my boss looking/breathing over my shoulder while navigating the pass.
  5. Ken Bracewell

You hit the nail on the head.
  6. Zibi

Zibi New Member

Sorry for getting this "dangerous" impression after reading your story. Obviously you did all the right things including waiting a day for better conditions. Like every responsible and reasonable captain would do under the circumstances. Now if your boss'es pieces of advise were good and not distracting, so be it and hail to Mr. Boss. I wouldn't mind clever guy breathing at my neck while doing it. The important thing for me is that apparently there are some safety standards observed on superyachts, too. At least on yours. Thank you for your reply.
  7. gr8trn

gr8trn Senior Member

Your thread title says it all "The Magic of Experience".

I am not qualified to discuss operating large vessels. I am merely a weekend motor and sailing skipper up to 50 feet.

I have, however, spend decades as a ski pro for clients. I taught ski technique very seldom, I created passion for the alpine experience non stop. I did that because I am have passion for the alpine experience myself. I happen to be a great technique coach too but my friends that are alpine coaches will not likely translate to client ski pros. I see some similarity in the Luxury Yachting vs. Merchant Captaining.

In no way am I implying you do not have passion for the yachting experience, just knowing it is about the experience not the boat.
  8. Zibi

Zibi New Member

Possibly you are right. Thanks for participating in discussion.