Click for Walker Click for Furuno Click for Perko Click for YF Listing Service Click for Northern Lights

Tender/Dinghy and gas tank storage

Discussion in 'Tenders & Dinghies' started by Fish Catcher Jim, Feb 3, 2015.

1. Fish Catcher Jim

Fish Catcher Jim Member

I am looking for advice and idea's and I guess the do's and dont's on how to store not only the portable fuel tank in the tender/dinghy but a couple of others as well abourd a trawler. Example seversal 5 gal. tanks.
    I know depends on the boat etc, but as a rule of thumb type of thing.
    Thanks
    Jim
  2. TeKeela

TeKeela Member

Keeps the cap vents slightly open so you don't pressurize the tank when the temperature is up but it doesn't slosh out. Tank into consideration expansion in the heat so the tank does not overflow thru the vent. Well ventilated area so any fumes can dissipate. Strapped down taking into consideration the natural state of the roll so the fuel sloshes side to side (likely the least distance) rather than against the fill over and over tempting spillage thru the vent. Non-slip mat underneath to reduce "rubbing" that can wear a hole in the bottom and also damage your deck. Away from flames, grills, electrical, and make sure everyone has situational awareness. Just about everything I can think of short of setting up a fueling station out of your diesel tanks and get a diesel tender. Gas problem solved.
  3. Capt J

Capt J Senior Member

If I can, I like having 2 portable boat fuel tanks, instead of cans you have to pour into the fuel tank, if the dinghy doesn't have a built in fuel tank. That way it's safe, no mess from pouring, you just unplug the fuel line to the outboard and then plug in the other tank.
  4. Fish Catcher Jim

Fish Catcher Jim Member

Thank You to both of you for the tips and advice. I figured about the venting and things from my smaller outboard boat days with those ol bulky 5 gal tanks.

The tender I replace the rib with does have a larger space for fuel and will mount a 20 gal poly tank probably in it. I saw some pictures of engine rooms when I was searching for trawler idea's and many had those 5 gal fuel tanks for the tender stored in there. Maybe it isjust me but that just did not make good sense to me.

Any way thanks again
    Jim
  5. Capt J

Capt J Senior Member

No, DO NOT STORE gas cans in the engine room.......NEVER.
  6. Fish Catcher Jim

Fish Catcher Jim Member

Capt J,
    Thank You !!
    I thtought that was the dumbest thing I had seen but so many did it.
    IMHO ...fumes.....engine room and gensets, watermakers, twin engines, and so on does not make a healthy past time in my mind !!
  7. NEO56

NEO56 Member

Jim, forget the 5 gallon tanks, a) buy a tender with a built in tank, and b) I thought you liked to fish....buy a Hell's Bay or Egret flats boat. And yes, have an onboard gas fueling station. Storing and filling 3 or 4 five gallon fuel tanks aboard will be a royal pain in the butt, and at 65 feet, yer gonna need all the room you can get. Besides by having a fueling station, and a built in tank on the tender, you've eliminated a potential fire problem. And yes a 16' flats boat is probably going to stick out both sides of your hard top, but not by much.
  8. Fish Catcher Jim

Fish Catcher Jim Member

Good Point !!
  9. ranger58sb

ranger58sb Senior member

I've found leaving the vents open on portable tanks exacerbates any issues you might have with ethanol gas if you're forced to use that.

-Chris
  10. RER

RER Senior Member

I secure additional gas tanks or cans in the dinghy whenever possible. Secured on deck and out of the way would be my second choice (beware of smoking guests). I don't like open vents. And never, ever in the ER or anywhere below decks.
  11. RB480

RB480 Senior Member

Are you sure these tanks you see in engine rooms aren't spare diesel tanks used to refill fuel filters on the fly?
  12. Fish Catcher Jim

Fish Catcher Jim Member

Thanks Chris that is good to know.
  13. Fish Catcher Jim

Fish Catcher Jim Member

RER,
    Thanks and this makes a lot of sense. I had thought about it the dinghy when underway or not in use and that conferms it is good.
    Jim
  14. Fish Catcher Jim

Fish Catcher Jim Member

RB480,
    Well I had thought a couple had mentioned that it had spare tank for the rib and saw the prtable boat tank stored in the engine room and for the rest I have no idea. I guess they could be.....hmmmmm
  15. Capt J

Capt J Senior Member

Yeah, I like an extra boat tank or two for the dinghy and store them underway in the dinghy. I use a quick disconnect on the dinghies fuel line and then just swap tanks......it's better to keep the fuel fresher anyways.....you can run one tank ALL of the way empty and then switch to the other even with the motor idling......Or, if I want 6 gallons for range, I'd prefer 2-3 gallon tanks, then switch and you're filling one tank with 98% fresh gasoline. ALWAYS use stabilizer in dinghy gas.
  16. Fish Catcher Jim

Fish Catcher Jim Member

Yea thats kind of the same way I did my smaller 16 foot fishing boats except for the fuel stabilizer.Gas never stayed in long enough. lol
    Thanks
    Jim
  17. Fish Catcher Jim

Fish Catcher Jim Member

I have been looking at these for a replacment tender down the road. Both the 15 and 16 are very light and one of the 16 models has an under transom storage where I can instal a solid permanent fuel tank.
    I like the solid winshield and full enclosure top for the long fishing days. These are all 15 footers.

Attached Files: