Click for JetForums Click for MotorCheck Click for Burger Click for Nordhavn Click for Comfort

Technology?

Discussion in 'General Yachting Discussion' started by NEO56, Sep 29, 2014.

You need to be registered and signed in to view this content.
  1. NEO56

NEO56 Member

Hopefully this will be a thought provoking thread. It seems to me that recreational boating lags, in the Technology arena. Things like stuffing boxes, A/C units, waste systems, are still stuck in the 20th Century. I know there have been quantum leaps in hull design, layup schedules, electronics, etc. But how come boats, Yachts, still have such huge maintenance issues. Is it because of the destructive forces of a salt water environment? It feels like the boating industry is at the bottom of the trickle down theory. I would like to add that Marmot's invention is a step in the right direction. Why is that? Just throwing this out there...it's been a question I've had for years. Any positive comments will be appreciated.
  2. Marmot

Marmot Senior Member

I don't see why you think those boats are challenged by technology.The technology underlying those components has reached a very high standard of reliability and performance.

What I do see are mechanical parts that sit unused for extended periods and receive little if any (OK, for the most part - none - ever) preventive or routine maintenance. You can't just let this stuff sit and expect it to perform properly every time all the time.
  3. TeKeela

TeKeela Member

As you a designing and building a custom yacht, how will You bring your yacht into the 21st century? What systems are you using? I'm sure we would like to see your drawings and learn from the upgrades you will be doing. Please share.
  4. Pascal

Pascal Senior Member

Because proven simple stuff works and is easy to maintain and repair...

Take stuffing boxes for instance, many of us prefer old fashion set up with goretex to the drip less high tech PSS or others. A big chunk of bronze is not going to put you out of commission for a week waiting for parts in th bahamas when that fancy talon face seal fails...

Waste system? Why do you want them to be high tech... I want them SIMPLE. We have magnum opus electronic heads on the boat I run and carry a spare board jaut in case. Frankly I ll take a simple pedal Vacuflush instead of relying on a circuit board, an electric water valve, a contact switch, and God knows what.

ANd th list goes on. High tech maybe cool and impressive to folks who don't know much about boats, it maybe easy to throw parts at it if you never stray further than 30 miles from your home dock otherwise simple and proven low tech does the job.
  5. dennismc

dennismc Senior Member

agree with Pascal, however, would be nice if "finishes" lasted at least as long as Home depot paint on houses...I know, houses don't move around etc, but....
  6. Old Phart

Old Phart Senior Member

7. NEO56

NEO56 Member

I was just thinking that this being the 21st Century, that components could be a little more bullet proof. I give the nod to Commercial grade equipment which has a longer life, but nevertheless still requires ongoing maintenance. It's not often I have time to contemplate things of this nature, but when I do, I always try to come up with a "better mousetrap" for the non commercial marine industry. Needless to say my steel trap is getting a little rusty. I did however see something in PM magazine, about a new impeller from globe marine. They are guaranteed to "run dry" for 15 minutes without breaking into a hundred pieces. At least it's a step in the right direction.
  8. Capt J

Capt J Senior Member

Not really, the Globe impellors flex too much and sometimes don't suck water........another innovation that isn't quite what it's supposed to be. If you do your preventative maintanence you usually don't have issues. It's all this over complicated stuff that causes more issues.
  9. Pascal

Pascal Senior Member

On mots boats the problem is not lack of technology but installation and accessibility.

Since you brought up impellers, I never suddenly lost one. Every time I had to replace one, it gave me plenty of warning with a slightly dryer exhaust on the gennies or slightly higher temp on the mains. And in 25 years i don't think I had to replace more than 5 impellers outside routine maintenance and as long as they were easy to reach and with the right tools it was a 15 minute job. Now I ve been on many boats where the impellers were hard to reach because of poor engine or Genset installation and kept my fingers crossed hoping I would not get a failure.
  10. AMG

AMG YF Moderator

On impellers, one of our 80-footers was about to go to Svalbard this summer, but when it arrived in the cold waters up there, the impellers in the Fisher Panda gensets became too stiff and the cooling was no longer sufficient, so they had to turn back..!

Luckily the impellers on the Volvo Penta main engines were still OK. I have not spoken to the captain about the details but this is what I was told.
  11. Capt Ralph

Capt Ralph Senior Member

Agreed. The vanes will float and not pump much. I try to explain this to folks and get long stares.

I improved all the hoses behind some MAN engines a few times. Makes getting to those impellers easier.

Worked on a 53 Hat last week, Those 8v71TI & M clutches offered little room to get to those impellers. I'll be cleaning up that mess this fall.

It's not really the equipment. The ease of getting to it or lack of can dictate the how & when of proper maintenance.
    Same on easy or hard to get to shaft logs. It's not the equipment that is outdated, the beauty in some designs just can not be improved.

It's the access; it's the architect who has the problem.
  12. AMG

AMG YF Moderator

Many problems are created by last minute installations and also when boatbuilders lack seatime of their own on similar boats. As an example, on my boats I often prepare so new belts are already positioned to be exchanged without the need to dismantle anything. Having the right spares and tools onboard makes life so much easier.
  13. NEO56

NEO56 Member

AMG, would you please expound on that statement? Do you put a belt behind the working one? How do you secure it from getting in the way?
  14. Capt Ralph

Capt Ralph Senior Member

When you have PTOs, Tach cables and multi belts, I have plastic tie wrapped (cable ties) belts to the motor mounts and anything else available to wrap to.
    Now if a belt wears of fails, I have a belt ready to go without breaking a PTO coupler or tach cable loose or removing other belts.
  15. Kafue

Kafue Senior Member

+1 on that AMG.
    Makes changing the belt very easy. First time I was shown this was in the late nineties when I owned an Ocean Alexander Pilothouse with twin Ford Lehmans. Changing the belts was not difficult while berthed, just a very fiddly two handed job, so the mechanic showed me the simple way of having the spare ready to fit over the alternator simply by loosening the adjustment bolt. The next long voyage the port engine needed a new belt. Blessed the day I was shown this idea.
  16. NYCAP123

NYCAP123 Senior Member

I have to agree with Marmot here. The technologies have grown in leaps and bounds. Used to be you'd travel with charts and plotting tools on the table. Now click on the screen and get all the info on almost every marina in the country. Dripless shaft logs, IPS & Zeus, WiFi and mobile hot spots on board, not to even get into the rubber and plastic technologies. Stuff runs straight from the military and space programs right into boating. Heck I'm sitting here on a 1981 boat looking at a Princess phone on the wall. Where do you see the lack of progression?

Another on target point is why the components on boats fail. "Use it or lose it". Stuff doesn't like to sit unused, especially in a hostile environment. It rots and dries out. Everything from a motor to your body.
  17. Capt J

Capt J Senior Member

Heads arrrrggghhh, on the 2007 Sunseeker I manage the heads were new then they stopped making them around 2009. We bought a dealer demo just to store and have spare parts......But if you look Sealand has around 15 totally different heads now, as do many manufacturers so the luck of finding every dealer stocking spare parts is slim.

I love the headhunter toilets......all they have is one water solenoid to flush and that is it!!!!!!! An electric pushbutton and a water solenoid part that's less than $150 for a spare.......
  18. Capt Ralph

Capt Ralph Senior Member

I remember their first show. The rep was pouring in coins and it never stopped flushing.
  19. Capt J

Capt J Senior Member

YUP, all you need is water pressure and a amp of electric for the solenoid to work, can also plunge them if you need to.....simple, and they work well.....I really like Headhunter. They're a very reputable company in regards to warrantying their products and if you go to their factory in Ft. Laud, they will bend over backwards to help you.

The vaccuuflush are pretty simple, but you need a very long screwdriver or 1/2" dowel to clear blockages at the bottom of the bowl, and also need to change duct bills periodically and once in a long while the vaccuum switch.
  20. Pascal

Pascal Senior Member

I usually get 6 to 8 years out of duckbills, what I like is that they give you plenty of warning when they start having issues and will rarely leave dad in the water. Even if a vac switch fail, you can't still use the head.

But yes, headhunter is a pretty good supplier. I like their Mach 5 pump, although I had one fail in just a year. Replaced right away though. Fluke failures can happen to the best product and that s where good support is key