Click for YF Listing Service Click for Walker Click for Mulder Click for Abeking Click for Northern Lights

Swim Platform Questions - 1979 Post 42

Discussion in 'Post Yacht' started by Tommy68, Feb 26, 2016.

You need to be registered and signed in to view this content.
  1. Tommy68

Tommy68 Member

Hi All,

After about year of searching I found a used teak platform in great shape for a great price. It came off an old 42 Chris Craft trawler.

Buying used, I was most worried about matching the transom curve, but luckily after few rounds of measuring and a fabricated cardboard template the platform matches up.

In the picture below you can see I had to slice off about 3.5 inches on each end to get the platform to sit inside the the transom of the boat by about 1.5 inches on either side. The post 42 beam at the transom is 140.5 inches. The platform was 144.

The Questions -

The width of the Platform is about 35 inches. The seller told me it was 30, which I though I would easily be able to get away with. however the 35 is making me a little worried.

Generally is this too wide? if so what is typical for a Sportfish platform? (i don't plan on fishing much) 24-28 inches?

Has anyone reduced the width of a platform like this? My thought is to pull the screws from the end, gently break apart the glue and pull out some spacers etc and recap the end with the original end.

Platform .JPG
  2. RER

RER Senior Member

If properly constructed you'll find it's going to be bolted together with allthread in the solid areas between the slats.
  3. Capt Ralph

Capt Ralph Senior Member

Why reduce or worry?
    I've been turning mine and customers platforms into near back suspended decks for years by extending them.
    It's slatted so no worries on stern lifting.
    If you not fishing hard, enjoy the nice back deck.

Looking at your pic, You have a prize.

I remember a deal like that years ago for one of my customers, The top was poorly weathered. The bottom still looked new. It got flipped over, bolted down and life was great.
  4. hughdunlop

hughdunlop Member

I have a factory glass platform on my 46 , thinking of removing it , just for the look I guess ,.
  5. deanpe

deanpe New Member

Would you be interested in selling? If so, could you post some pictures. I have an '82 42' Post and would like to put a platform on her to make it easier for the kids to get on and off when swimming.

Patrick
  6. hughdunlop

hughdunlop Member

Hmmmm ! It could prove costly to ship to the US , however you have a great exchange rate to our $
  7. C team

C team Senior Member

Patrick, look into Butler Marine for a platform. They built lots of platforms for the boating industry and have most hull specs for Jersey built boats. That is where I got my platform for my Egg. They are located in PA.
  8. Tommy68

Tommy68 Member

Platform Mounted .jpg

Here is the finished Product mounted, clean and sealed with Semco Natural.

Just need to add the under-mount ladder.
  9. chesapeake46

chesapeake46 Senior Member

Thats nice looking and big too.
  10. shawn

shawn New Member

Looks good Tom.
  11. P46-Curaçao

P46-Curaçao Senior Member

Curaçao (CW), Hollywood (FL) and Amsterdam (NL)
    Wow, you can 'dine and wine' on it too!! ;)
  12. Capt Ralph

Capt Ralph Senior Member

HEY NOW, That is a nice back porch.
  13. Tommy68

Tommy68 Member

A little Teak Restoration over the weekend to match the platform.

Used the multi tool with the scrapper attachment to peal up the proud caulk. Then Belt, orbital, palm and mini sanded it all down to 120.

Teak Sealed with Semco Natural to match the platform.

before and after shots.

Grey Teak .JPG

Fresh Teak .JPG
  14. P46-Curaçao

Love the teak deck, did you re-calk them in a weekend???

I routed mine out of the covering boards, that took me a day to do it nicely, and reseal and send them down in another day...
    I used Semco Natural too, so easy to work with...

Do you have a piece of teak as a 'step board' on the sides?
  15. Tommy68

Tommy68 Member

Lucky for me I only had to re-caulk some of the seems on the deck hatches. replaced and re-screwed a few places on the covering boards. They are in rough shape and don't have much left to sand. hope I can squeeze a few more years out of them.

Also I re-caulked the seams on the covering boards last summer when I pulled off the cockpit cover and rail system the former owner had. I posted that about that system last summer. I had to "bung" those holes on the covering boards and sand down the proud teak in about 8 places.

Are "step" boards on the side which the former owner also added along with that cockpit shade system. I decided to keep them since its a built in skid plate for high traffic area. i didn't sand those down, just two part scrubbed them until they cleaned up to match the rest.

How has your SEMCO held up? I read a a lot about it and actually ran into this amazing 65 American Sport Fisher in Orange Beach Alabama. The Crew recommended it as well. But this is my first try and i would lover to hear first hand how it lasts and how often you need to re-apply?
  16. P46-Curaçao

I use Semco for the first time also, currently I have 'painted' 4-5 layers all around, and it's a pretty easy job, and I'm curious too, but have read a lot of good comments, so we'll see!

My covering boards are also thin, and plugs pop out every time, I wait till there are 4-5 out and then start to renew them, a pro learned me the trick, now it's an easy fix...

Your Post looks great Tommy68, enjoy!
  17. OutPost

OutPost Member

P46 or Tommy, Any update on how the semco held up over the last few months?

I'm stripping varnish right now and will never go back, and I'm not a fan of cetol. I've narrowed my choices to semco or the starbright tropical sealer.
  18. P46-Curaçao

Actually, I had black spots two weeks ago and had to clean the wood with a little oxalic acid to clean it, so I have to start from scratch again...

A professional marine carpenter told me last weekend, that Semco is the best, but even then, it doesn't hold up that long, and you have it regularly cleaned with sea water...
  19. Tommy68

Tommy68 Member

The timing of your question is good. image2.JPG image3.JPG Palt Fall 1.jpg Plat Fall 2.jpg I was over at block this weekend... which gave me a good chance to take some current pictures. This summer was sort of an experiment for me on how to work with the Semco and Personally I like the natural look and went with Semco because I heard it lasts and is easy to maintain.

I did not stay on top of the finish like I should have as I was trying to see how long the finish would last. I only applied two coats this spring, but because the wood was so beat up and then fresh once I stripped it down, I probably should have added a 3rd or 4th coat to build up the sealer a little more. The wood still does bead up when it gets wet, so I know there is some sealer left. I think I will end up cleaning the teak with Barkeepers Friend... as it has some acid in it, but not as harsh as two part. hopefully that brings back the fresh teak look and then ill do a couple more coats of the sealer.

I did not get any black spots, just the discoloring you can see in the pictures below. The Platform was sort of a lost cause... that went pretty quickly as it basically gets buried in the water every time I take the boat out.

I am including some before and after photos to give you an idea of where it started to where it has gone since about the end of April / Beginning of May until now.
  20. chesapeake46

chesapeake46 Senior Member

That is one big swim platform !