Click for Walker Click for Abeking Click for Westport Click for Burger Click for Abeking

Sweden set for boat driver's licence

Discussion in 'General Yachting Discussion' started by YachtForums, Apr 7, 2008.

You need to be registered and signed in to view this content.
  1. YachtForums

YachtForums Administrator

A subject for fierce debate, or has the time come?

2. AMG

AMG YF Moderator

This is not a big issue since we already have the second license since at least 50 years and the third is also mandatory today, but for boats faster than 35 knots driven by professionals. Like fishermen or boat builders.

What will cause a debate is that you need to be 15 years old for the first license and 18 for driving boats faster than 30 knots. Which will include all PWC:s!

Most likely the next step will be registration of our boats, which we have had for a couple of years in the late 80:s, but it was removed mainly because people were afraid it would lead to taxation. Which we probably will face the next time...
  3. catmando

catmando Senior Member

We need something similar here. Too many people are getting hurt and killed because they don't know how to operate a boat properly.

There are two high performance boating schools now; one in Florida and one in Canada. The boatbuilder Outerlimits gives its clients the school when they buy a boat.
  4. AMG

AMG YF Moderator

In Sweden this is not the problem really, our accidents are almost always connected with drunk driving. The only license that will take care of boat handling is the 30-knot license, as it will probably include practical education. The other two are just desktop learning.
  5. goplay

goplay Senior Member

While I am all for as much education as possible, licensing is not a panacea for safety. Case in point: how many people drink-and-drive yet are fully aware of the consequences (and they all have valid driver's licenses)?

Many argue that boat licensing is just another form of revenue generation for the state -- i.e. taxation -- under the guise of safety.

Enforcement of existing laws is really the issue...
  6. Codger

Codger YF Wisdom Dept.

We've had a permit system in Canada since 99.
    I don't know what the effects have been on the overall safety situation but from the enforcement side the old "I didn't know" doesn't wash anymore. There does seem to be a level of cognizance now at least about some of the fundamentals such as right of way.

http://www.tc.gc.ca/BoatingSafety/oc-faq.htm
  7. Kevin

Kevin YF Moderator

8. Codger

Codger YF Wisdom Dept.

No argument from me on that.:D "Ya mean them red poles along the channel ain't fer tyin off to?" Long way to go but it's a start.
    They didn't grandfather, or more accurately, great-grandfather, me so I wrote it. Amazed me that they'd even ask such basic questions but a lot of people failed so we are in pretty pathetic shape. :(
  9. vivariva

vivariva Senior Member

Dear AMG,

Does Sweden, being an EU member, require the International Certificate of Competence (ICC) for operating recreational vessels in its waters?

If I am not mistaken, the ICC law was adopted by the EU parliament a while ago. I wonder if these new regulations are related to one another.

The ICC itself is a certificate; currently given in Yachtmaster programs sponsored by the Royal Yachting Association.

Regards,
    vivariva
  10. AMG

AMG YF Moderator

I don´t know what is requiered from foreigners today. In the past a Yachtmaster Offshore (I think was the term) was enough for running a pretty large yacht. I´ll look into this.
  11. Codger

Codger YF Wisdom Dept.

There is one part of the Swedish proposal that rubs me the wrong way. The 15 and 18 age restrictions can't be absolute, or are they?
  12. AMG

AMG YF Moderator

This is still a proposal to be considered by different authoraties and if decided on, will be inforced on April 1:st (of all days) 2011.
  13. AMG

AMG YF Moderator

I have checked the websites here and the ICC is not mentioned yet. We have certificates corresponding to the STCW which can be transfered to equal national certificates.

On foreign boats in Swedish waters, the boats nationality determines which certificate is needed. Foreigners driving Swedish boats must have Swedish certificate. As it is today.

For pleasure boats we have the 12m x 4m limit today, but no upper limits from what I could find out. So driving your own 100 m vessel just for pleasure in Swedish waters is possible with the 12x4m certificate...
  14. vivariva

vivariva Senior Member

Thank you for the info AMG. I just wanted to check if this license idea originated from Brussels or not.

Regards
  15. catmando

catmando Senior Member

Even Swedes know April Fool's Day. :D
  16. Anna09

Anna09 New Member

2008? Wow! This forum is really old isn't it? There were debates over whether there should be a boating license mandatory rule or not. Around the same time I was probably debating over if I should chose candy over pastry! Well I still do that. So I guess nothing has changed.
  17. dennismc

dennismc Senior Member

Drivers licensing sure did not reduce the # of road traffic incidents,? although, we do not seem to have comparable data, sign of the times, the newer generations seem to be a bit less responsible when it comes to serious issues, their agenda I think is different than mine was.. This my my 2c and will be borne out as days go by...
  18. Anna09

Anna09 New Member

But the population has increased too. So we cannot compare the information, you know what I mean?
    But I agree with you when you talk about being responsible. I can talk for myself I am very cautious when in the waters. I know how dangerous it can get. But what I believe is having a license should definitely be mandatory but even after having one doesn't mean you are safe. You have to be careful and not mess around. If you respect the sea you wouldn't do anything you shouldn't.
  19. PacBlue

PacBlue Senior Member

Europe loves to regulate and be regulated, they hope to regulate all accidents out of existence. Good luck with that.

Nothing puts a bigger smile on my face then seeing a 10-12-14 year old running his family boat skillfully, knowing he will be a boater for life, licensed be damned.

Licenses do nothing to prevent alcohol/substance abuse while operating a vessel on the water.
  20. Anna09

Anna09 New Member

That's what they hope "regulate all accidents out of existence". I think that's what the effort is about. I respect it.