Click for Abeking Click for YF Listing Service Click for Cross Click for Nordhavn Click for Ocean Alexander

Super Yachting in California

Discussion in 'Yacht Crews' started by Globetrotter76, Aug 17, 2011.

You need to be registered and signed in to view this content.
  1. Globetrotter76

Globetrotter76 New Member

Hi Forums Users

What is the Big Boat scene like on the West Coast?? Im looking at heading to California are there big boats there doing yard work before cruising, what about crew agencies and the like??

I am doing my Y4 Modules in November then keen to check something out of Lauderdale and Caribbean Milk Run

Wondering how Cali would be to look for position via Crew Agents or dockwalking etc??
  2. RER

RER Senior Member

San Diego would be your best bet. Most of the large yachts are on Shelter Island. They haul out at The Marine Group yard down in Chula Vista. If you're traveling to California specifically to look for work on a large yacht you are going to be disappointed. There just aren't that many here.
  3. Globetrotter76

Thanks for that info, yeh not specifically, im going to hang there but was wondering where would be a good place to base myself close to where there might be any kind of possiblity, Im looking at renting apartment and hanging out for a few months doing other things, surfing/snowboarding etc But would like to be in the right area in case something pops up.
  4. NYCAP123

NYCAP123 Senior Member

Although not my area, I'd think San Francisco or the PNW would be fairly good places to look. Big waves, big mountains and a few big yards. Spring would probably be a better time than now though.
  5. Robertoman

Robertoman Member

Don't call it "Cali"
  6. Globetrotter76

Thanks folks

I will think about it, where to go chill, mm maybe San Fran is good idea?
    Its still several months away till I make my decision so lets see what happens

Jerome