Click for Nordhavn Click for Burger Click for Ocean Alexander Click for Mag Bay Click for Nordhavn

Sunken Detroit 8v71's

Discussion in 'Chris Craft Connies, Commanders & Catalinas' started by graeme mac, Jan 11, 2017.

1. graeme mac

graeme mac New Member

Hi,

My beautiful 55' Chris Craft Constellation which I brought back to Perth Australia from Seattle, sunk last year when we blew a hole in the cast iron exhaust. Boat was moored to the fueling jetty at the time as we watched her go down on a 45 degree angle.

Both motors went under, plus all electrics.

Fought insurance company for a year and in the end got a A$20k 'eff' off ' from them which not enough to make proper repairs. As a retiree in a country where if you work hard all your life and pay your taxes, plus invest in properties etc - the less privileged you become! I get absolutely nothing back to make retirement a good reward for all your donations to the Nation.

HAve been told I may be able to save motors by pouring diesel etc down bores for a couple of months.

After checking several blogs have seen that a 50/50 mix of acetone and hydraulic fluid the best mix to rid rust. HAve checked bores with camera and they only have minor surface rust so had my hopes up high.

A month later and a long bar with socket on main pulley - still not resulting in any joy.

Am a little concerned about breaking the main bolt on the pulley but have seen blogs where guys had a 6' bar plus sledge hammer -----

Are there any old salts out there that can give some solid advice as to what I can do to expedite rotation.

I have a great sense of humour but one suggestion was to tip boat at 45 degree angle to get fluid down the bores to cover all the pistons. Um cheers!

Your thoughts would be much appreciated.

Cheers

Macca
  2. Capt J

Capt J Senior Member

I think you're wasting your time personally and the motors need to come apart and be majored. If you want to try, see if you can pull the injectors and fill the cylinders that way, but the injectors are probably going to be all stuck also. Diesel or marvel mystery oil is probably what I'd fill the cylinders with......But even if you got them to turn over and even start, the chances they'd grenade one way or another shortly thereafter are very high. Bearings, valves, cylinder kits, have all been compromised.
  3. chesapeake46

chesapeake46 Senior Member

How long did they sit before anyone tried to save them ?
    How long were they full of water ? Salt water too probably ?
  4. Pascal

Pascal Senior Member

Diesel is good choice as it is an oil but much lighter obviously than motor oil so it can really get in everywhere

That said the window to save a submerged motor is very narrow, a couple of days... a few at the most. After that rust has already started doing its thing and it s irreversible.
  5. Capt Ralph

Capt Ralph Senior Member

Afraid their reef material or mooring anchors now.
    They should have been preserved the day they came out of the water. The next day was to late.
  6. GhostriderIII

GhostriderIII Senior Member

You may have saved your engines, had you contacted a diesel mechanic right away - that day in fact. Right now they are worthless.
    Sorry mate
  7. K1W1

K1W1 Senior Member

They might need a rebuild but most pf the parts will be resueable. Machining is quite an effective way to remove rust:)
  8. Capt J

Capt J Senior Member

I agree, and recommend doing a rebuild in place before ever trying to get them running in their current situation. If you are able to get them running and then spin a main bearing, the entire block is going to have to come out of the boat.