Click for Nordhavn Click for Nordhavn Click for Ocean Alexander Click for YF Listing Service Click for YF Listing Service

Suggestion on Electronics

Discussion in 'Electronics' started by Richardh, Feb 27, 2005.

You need to be registered and signed in to view this content.
  1. Richardh

Richardh New Member

We are equipping a new Sea Ray 550 Sedan Bridge: Considering Twin Maptech I3 versus Furuno Navnet II (either would have 6 foot 12KW open array). Also, Icom 602 versus Simrad 86 VHF. Already have decieed on Simrad AP25 Autopilot. For TV we are going KVH 6HP, DirecTV an TIVO HD with Sharp Aquinos LCD's.

Most our boating is Florida East Coast, Keys, Northern Bahamas and the North up to the Cheseapeake.

Thank you

Richard
  2. CaptPKilbride

CaptPKilbride Senior Member

I looked at the Navnet units at the Miami show, and was most impressed by the black box units for radar and plotting.

The furuno monitors are very nice, and of all the ones I looked at seemed to offer the best ability to still be visible at night when dimmed down for nighttime operation.
  3. cappyt

cappyt New Member

Furuno NavnetII and simrad 86 VHF

Furuno is more user friendly, Simrad just better
  4. CaptPKilbride

CaptPKilbride Senior Member

Can you quantify that statement for me? I am not disputing your assertion, rather, I would like to know how you came to the conclusion that Simrad is just better.
  5. AMG

AMG YF Moderator

I think this is almost like fresh vegetables, what is best today will look old tomorrow. I used to like Furuno, mainly because I was used to handle them and I have never had a technical failure which is quite important if you are crossing the Atlantic with only one radar onboard. Later I found that Simrad had better day vision screens and next was Furuno having an antenna going faster when the boat did and today they are all the same. We are also providing Raymarine who was early with a nice front design, then Simrad and Furuno improved in that as well. Some are using a certain kind of seamaps I don´t like, some the other and some both...

In the past I used to look what the professionals used and my first radar was a Decca, but today you´ll find all brands on top of patrol boats, fishing boats and ships...
  6. cappyt

cappyt New Member

preference

I work on a vessel that has 4 Vhf radios on the Bridge. We replaced 1 radio with Icom and we experienced channels bleeding ouer to the other radios. Made several adjustments and still have the same problem. Also the handsets were not that great of quailty. The Simrad equipment seems to be better quality.
  7. Richardh

Richardh New Member