Click for Delta Click for JetForums Click for Mag Bay Click for Westport Click for Burger

Sub Zero freezer in galley temp difference

Discussion in 'Technical Discussion' started by CSkipR, Apr 8, 2015.

You need to be registered and signed in to view this content.
  1. CSkipR

CSkipR Member

I've noticed that my freezer temperature is several degrees warmer at the bottom (by IR gun). Not sure if that is from engine heat or just the way the freezer is designed. Thinking about putting a piece of flexible insulation (towel) on the bottom inside the freezer. Frozen food on the bottom has had freezer burn. Anyone have this issue or a better solution?
  2. wdrzal

wdrzal Senior Member

Cold air is heavier than warmer air and falls to the bottom , that's why stuff down at the bottom of the freezer is burnt that is if the freezer is working properly. Most IR guns are set for the emissivity of the color black unless you have a expensive gun and can adjust that setting for white it will read incorrect. Get a cheap freezer thermometer for a couple bucks.
  3. CSkipR

CSkipR Member

It isn't an expensive IR gun. Since the bottom of freezer is fiberglass and doesn't allow air under it does that have something to do with freezer burn? Everything on the two shelves is fine.
  4. wdrzal

wdrzal Senior Member

It could but depends how the evaporator system works in that freezer. I'm not sure without seeing it. It wouldn't hurt to find some low racks (1/2" to 3/4") to set on the bottom.

Since most infrared guns are set to black, a couple strips of black electrical tape applied to the test spot will give a more accurate reading. This works unless the test spot is so hot it would melt the tape. In that case you can spray a small spot of high temperature black paint.
  5. Norseman

Norseman Senior Member

Pack the food better and it should solve the problem. Hard to get uniform temperatures in a boat freezer.
    I built my own fridge and freezer from 2 ice boxes and had initial problems.
    Learned to pack the fridge and the freezer different, beer on the bottom, not milk. ( Milk will freeze before beer.) Ice cream on the bottom of the freezer, ice cubes on the top.
    Some guys use a small fan to circulate the air for uniform temperatures..
    Last edited: Apr 9, 2015
  6. Capt J

Capt J Senior Member

It might be dust and gunk blocking airflow around the drawers (outside/underneath them), I would pull them out and vaccuum behind/underneath them if you can.