Click for Cross Click for YF Listing Service Click for Nordhavn Click for Perko Click for Delta

Spratly Islands, new tensions with China, higher oil prices

Discussion in 'YachtForums Yacht Club' started by brian eiland, May 4, 2011.

1. Chapstick

Chapstick Member

China is a huge polluter, but it has also declared some very significant reductions as future targets, and it currently looks like it's on track to meet those targets:

- Overall reduction of CO2 emissions per unit of GDP by 40-45% by 2020 compared to the 2005 level;
    - Increase the share of non-fossil fuels in primary energy consumption to around 15% by 2020;
    - Increase forest coverage by 40 million hectares and forest stock volume by 1.3 billion cubic meters by 2020 from the 2005 levels.

The Chinese government is scared of only one thing: revolt by the Chinese people, and the Chinese people complain loudly about living in smog.
  2. Chapstick

Chapstick Member

That projection was published in 2005. China didn't introduce its targets until 2010.

The US has only very marginally lower emissions than China atm (and isn't meeting its reduction targets) - why don't you criticise the US also?

I'm neither Chinese nor American, and from my point of view there's very little to separate them in terms of damage atm. They're both terrible.
  3. Old Phart

Old Phart Senior Member

Here's a memo, again.

Dirty deeds: The world's biggest polluters by country | GlobalPost

P.S.- Love the 2013 pic
  4. Old Phart

Old Phart Senior Member

A little update, with pics.

Pollution In China Is Out Of Control: 33 Shocking Photographs
  5. NEO56

NEO56 Member

Not to go off subject here, but after seeing Old Phart's link to those horrible photos, it made me think about frozen seafood here in the U.S. If you read the packaging it'll say things like packaged in the U.S. not product of the U.S. Most of the frozen seafood is produced in China. And I love buying the already breaded butterfly shrimp...but all of the brands I've found are grown in Chinese ponds which is covered with chicken coops and the shrimp and any other pond raised fish lives on a diet of excrement, plus growth hormones, etc. Let's just say it's cured my desire for any frozen seafood at all!
  6. Capt J

Capt J Senior Member

Just put a factory there making those BB gun canisters of C02 with it!!!!!
  7. brian eiland

brian eiland Senior Member

The United States and China seem to be edging closer to a naval showdown over freedom of navigation in the South China Sea. The US has announced it plans to conduct naval patrols within 12 nautical miles of China’s controversial “artificial islands” in order to uphold the principle of “freedom of navigation” under international law. China’s state-run English-language newspaper has called such plans “provocative” with one Chinese admiral even threatening to deliver a “head on blow” to any foreign forces threatening Chinese sovereignty of the disputed islands.

It is tempting to frame this dispute as the US upholding international law, and China ignoring it. But solving this brewing conflict requires more than simply demanding China “follow” international law. Instead, because the US and China have fundamentally different interpretations of what international law requires, both sides will find it difficult to avoid continuing their conflict over maritime and navigation rights in the region for the foreseeable future.

The US definition of freedom of navigation means all ships (including warships) are allowed to traverse both the 200-nautical mile exclusive economic zones (EEZs) and the 12-nautical mile territorial seas without obtaining the permission of the coastal state. Inside the 200-nautical mile EEZ, the US believes that military ships may conduct any activity, including surveillance of the coastal state (e.g., “spying”). Within 12 nautical miles, the US believes military ships must abide by the rules of “innocent passage” which precludes any overt military-related activity.

The Chinese definition of freedom of navigation is quite different. Essentially, the Chinese argue that military ships should have to follow rules of innocent passage even in the 200-nautical mile EEZ, and that military ships must get permission to enter the 12-nautical mile territorial sea, even if those ships are planning to make an innocent passage.

...more here
    http://opiniojuris.org/2015/10/15/w...hina-sea-conflict-over-freedom-of-navigation/
  8. NYCAP123

NYCAP123 Senior Member

About a week ago a Chinese warship was hanging out in the Aleutians. Just yesterday a Russian war ship was hanging out by an undersea cable (spying?). For all the money we give to our military and diplomats it's nice to see that they're keeping themselves busy.:rolleyes: All sarcasm aside those are very important sea lanes, and expanding the borders of any nation needs to be watched very carefully and challenged.
  9. brian eiland

EXTREMELY important sea lanes if you look at how much sea traffic navigates that only northern hemisphere tru-fare in that part of the world.

Now do you really want the Chinese in charge of the that transit, as well as the Panama Canal?? I would be VERY concerned.
  10. NYCAP123

NYCAP123 Senior Member

We've had a few "discussions" with our northern neighbor about fishing grounds. Few countries have clean hands when it comes to trying to expand their borders, but building islands is a new twist. Brings a whole new area to international law. Could even bring those fantasy floating islands into the discussion eventually. Personal estates? Resorts? Or expansions of territorial limits? Way above my pay grade to figure out, and more than a bit scary. Once again the law is racing to catch up to technology.
  11. brian eiland

14039992_875736802532612_8207724640094464341_n.jpg BN_NK113_0405in_J_201604050548061475165095.jpg BN-NK117_0405in_P_20160405060625.jpg BN-NK117_0405in_P_20160405060625.jpg ...some excerpts
    https://johnib.wordpress.com/2016/08/17/218645/

Last edited: Oct 2, 2016
  12. brian eiland

13. brian eiland

14. Kevin

Kevin YF Moderator