Click for Mulder Click for Furuno Click for Perko Click for YF Listing Service Click for Delta

Sportfish liveaboard/cruiser?

Discussion in 'Hatteras Yacht' started by gccolvin, Jun 21, 2012.

You need to be registered and signed in to view this content.
  1. gccolvin

gccolvin Guest

It was suggested I repost this here in the obvious forum, any takers?
  2. Ormond Bert54

Ormond Bert54 Senior Member

I think you could count out my 1984 Bertram 54 for being efficient at any speed. It is comfortable, livable, cruisable and pretty ... but traveling 20 knots is going to cost over 50 gallons of fuel at almost any speed. At 18 knots speed, traveling a distance of 20 knots will cost approx 80 gallons.

Compared to keeping this boat in bristol condition, however, fuel is NOT one of the bigger costs.
  3. Capt J

Capt J Senior Member

Your boat is efficient at 1000 rpms and below.....or trolling speeds......12v71 TI's burn 6GPH each at 1000rpms, 12 GPH total, at 1000rpms you should be doing around 10 knots or so. So 20 NM you'd burn 25 gallons......Granted you should run them at a fast cruise for 30 minutes every 6 hours........
  4. Ormond Bert54

Ormond Bert54 Senior Member

OK ... I think this proves ... that I have spent the past 2 1/2 yrs doing nothing but fixing one thing after another on my boat and have spent so little time actually using the boat (because it hasn't been running) ... that I still don't understand my own fuel burn!!!

The good news is ... after this turbo gets replaced next week:) ... I should be able to do 20 knots on 25 gallons instead of 75-80!! If I had the patience.

Sorry about spreading the incorrect data.
  5. Capt J

Capt J Senior Member

Welllllll, do what you're supposed to do with a 54' Bertram. Troll some lures!!!!....... good to hear that you're going to be able to use the boat.
  6. Kafue

Kafue Senior Member

My sympathies to you Bayside B.
    I know the feeling, I just missed the best months of the fishing season with the repair on my port gearbox. But, I did have a great run of over 900nm's without major issues. Wish you all the best from here on.....

Capt. J, your fuel consumption figures are spot on, but you knew that! Mine are naturals and have same fuel burn.
  7. Pascal

Pascal Senior Member

It's very hard to answer the OP without knowing how the boat will be used

Any boat will be economical at hull speed, although a true displacement hull will be more economical. That said the fuel cost difference is only a fraction of the overall running costs

If you take the typical 2 weeks cruise to the Bahamas, your fuel costs for propulsion at going to be pretty much equal to dockage and generator fuel. Even if you run a 50/60 footer on plane, the difference over that trip may be 25% of the over all cost of the trip

Not sure about the original question about trawlers, Hatteras and items/concerns, as Hatts are not trawlers except for the LRCs. As to issues, try dealing with leaky tanks on the average aging trawler or cheap plumbing or wiring :)

SF are great down south where you spend a lot of time in and out of the water, but the price you pay for that big cockpit and lower CG (less rolling) is less interior space. At many docks you have more privacy with a MY since the saloon is higher. In the hook most have better ventilation as well so you don't have to run the genset and AC as much
  8. Capt J

Capt J Senior Member

Yeah, but I remember back in the "good old days" when the fuel was cheap and the Captain was expensive........ back in the early 2000's I was getting diesel for under $1 a gallon and in the .65 cent range from a truck.......Back then a 1,000 gallon day was cheap...........but I guess with anything else, all good things come to an end.

You're right about the other expenses being about the same as the fuel, but not necessarily. I ran a 62' Sunseeker on a 10 day trip to Nassau and through the Exumas, and back to Fort Laud...in May...We burned 1550 gallons @ $5 average (we took on fuel twice in Nassau) so $7750. We probably spent $3k on dockage if I add up all of our stops. We didn't anchor. Yeah I could've cut fuel consumption down considerably by doing hull speed, but the owners didn't care about that, so we ran 28 knots everywhere......Their time was more valuable and in 10 days we did Paradise Island, Highbourne Cay, Sampson Cay, Paradise Island, and Bimini and had at least a full day the following day to enjoy each place, before moving onto the next. So which is more valuable to each owner.....the money......or their time.......that all depends on the owner and their work schedule/time schedule......
  9. Pascal

Pascal Senior Member

You are absolutely right, it comes down to owner preferences although in this case with an owner / operator / live aboard I suspect slower speeds may be the choice

Back in march April, I did a 4 weeks trip which included 3 week long exuma trips out of Nassau with the johnson 70 I run. Because there was no guests or owner on board for the round trip to Nassau, I ran mostly at hull speed. Before each 3 week long cruise to Staniel and back, I gave the guests a choice between slow and cheap, or fast and not so cheap :) we did most at hull speed since the runs are so short in the exumas you rarely spend more than a couple of hours underway even at 10 kts

Anyway, for each week we ended up using about 130 USG for the gensets (4 night in the hook, 3 nights at SCYC) and 150 USG for the mains... The round trip Mia - Nas was about 450 USG

I did pick up some fuel in Nassau but a lot less than if we had run everything at 22kts
    So total burn was about 1500usg at an average of $4.3 or so (back in march fuel was more $, up to 5.47 in Nas)

Bottom line there are many ways to operate a boat, but fuel is only part of the expenses, and usually not the primary criteria in picking the biat
  10. SHAZAM

SHAZAM Senior Member

FWIW, I had 1000 gallons delivered to me last thursday for $2.96/gallon which IMO is a step in the right direction. What kills me is that just five days earlier I paid $4.87/gallon at Lauderdale Marina!
  11. Pascal

Pascal Senior Member

Even Miami beach marina is cheaper! Must be a typo, did you mean 3.87?
  12. SHAZAM

SHAZAM Senior Member

I have to check my receipt.

Edit: Just checked my receipt, it was $4.689.
  13. Capt J

Capt J Senior Member

Well, 1 trip I took on fuel at Tidewater in VA, for like $3.50 and a few days later took on fuel in NY at $5.50.....it sucks, and I wasn't the person paying for it....LOLOLOL... Yeah, hopefully oil keeps dropping and fuel prices.....it seems the fuel prices are much slower to come down when the price of a barrel comes down.......but man do they go up quick when the price of a barrel goes up........
  14. SHAZAM

SHAZAM Senior Member

Therein lies the rub, when prices drop the station owners make the most money by dropping their prices as slowly as possible.
  15. Pascal

Pascal Senior Member

It really pays to check fuel prices... Active Captain is one way then confirm on the phone.

Tidewater is always one the cheapest on the east coast... North bound, you can get decent fuel in Atlantic highlands or Cape May... Forget NY or Ct!! Next is pt Judith marina or Newport... In Newport Casey's barge is often 50c lower than the marinas

Other cheap fuel can be found at Osprey marina in myrtle beach (I always get a kick seeing boats stopping at the other myrtle docks where it s as much as 50c higher) and further south the commercial dock in Fernandina (Florida petroleum). 1/4 mile south the municipal marina is a lot more $$...

Ft pierce petroleum is your last chance for good price before hitting Miami, or a delivery truck in FLl.

I just can't imagine paying almost a full dollars more

Problem when prices are coming down is that marinas are stuck with expensive fuel...that s when 5 minutes on the phone can really pay off...
  16. 42hatteras

42hatteras New Member

Just wanted to put my two cents worth here especially regarding speed versus fuel burn. I have been running my Cummins powered Hatteras 42C back and forth,winter/summer,from Ct to Abaco for a decade now. Outside weather permitting and inside when necessary or prudent. My normal burn at cruise is about .75 statute mpg at 17knots. My last trip down was in November and considering I had the time and fuel was outrageous I decided to run at 1250 turns which for that boat is 8.5 to 9.0 knots. I would pick up and run when necessary and every three or four hours for a few minutes to air out the idling engines. My burn for the entire trip down from New London Ct to Hope Town was 740 gallons of fuel,2quarts of oil for the gen and 1quart of oil in the port main. A tremendous savings of 1000 gallons and considering I ran from New London to Norfolk non-stop then put in some long days,the trip took 1 day longer than normal.

BTW/ What makes a good live aboard is what suits you as long as it is a Hatteras IMHO.At sea of living aboard them....they do not fall apart!
  17. K1W1

K1W1 Senior Member

Hi,

Great info. Given the savings going south did you maintain the same practice on the way back?
  18. 42hatteras

42hatteras New Member

I finally got Bahamian Permanent residency/ unlimited right to work card "green card" so the boat is still there. We use it often traveling from Cay to Cat and we most often travel at hull speed. At 6.81 a gallon it helps.
  19. Capt J

Capt J Senior Member

Yeah. I am currently running a 61' Viking SC with MAN 820's from Ft. Laud to Milwaukee. At 1950 rpms we are using 3 gallons per mile at 23 knots. At 850 rpm's and 8.5 knots, the boat is burning 8 gph total. It has flowscans and they're actually showing 2% higher fuel burn than actual each day (we haven't felt like adjusting them, regardless, the owner wants to get there quickly so we are running mostly at cruise. However on the Erie canal, we did run at 850 most of the day and burned little......