Click for Abeking Click for Westport Click for Perko Click for Burger Click for YF Listing Service

Sockets in Caribbean

Discussion in 'Technical Discussion' started by Ferro_T, Sep 26, 2015.

You need to be registered and signed in to view this content.
  1. Ferro_T

Ferro_T New Member

Hi,

soon I will go to USVI and start my trip all around Caribbean. I am in Italy now and already noticed problem with sockets in different marinas.

Can any tell me what electric sockets are used in Caribbean. And what is a electric voltage as well to not to be suprised when arrived.

Also are there any adapters for a Caribbean region ?

Cheers
  2. Capt Ralph

Capt Ralph Senior Member

Frequency (htz) may also be a concern for your shore power needs.
    What are your ships requirements now?
  3. Ferro_T

Ferro_T New Member

So yachts is prepared for EU frequency. Every marina and my yacht is adapted for 220 V that's how I operate now. I wll be cruisin in USVI and Portorico ( I quess there is also electricty adapted for US as well) In US it is 110 V I quess. I think i will need some kind of "inventer" to change a power from 110 to 220.
    I might be wrong.
  4. Capt Ralph

Capt Ralph Senior Member

I wish a USVI - Caribbean expert would chime in here to help make sure. You may need to contact directly the places you want to stop at and ask what power they have available.

I am of the understanding (but never been south of the Bahamas or PR) that the electricity down there is based on the US standard; 120/240 VAC @ 60 Htz.

Shore sockets are usually a 120Vac-30Amp twisting lock or 120/240Vac-50 Amp twisting lock female outlet.

Converting voltage from 120 to 220 takes current (amps). it does not happen for free.
    Some equipment may run on 50 to 60 Htz. Some equipment can not run from 50 to 60 Htz.

A stand alone 220vac@50htz inverter drawing from a good sized battery bank (assuming not running air conditioners), with a 120/240Vac @ 60 htz battery charger pluged into the 60Htz shore power MAY work.

Consulting with a real marine electrician may be a smart path to take rite now before you deploy.
  5. Ken Bracewell

Ken Bracewell Senior Member

You'll find that USVI and Puerto Rico have Hubbel type connectors, and it is all 60Hz power. Predominantly you will find 220v/50a single-phase power. Some marinas will have 208v 3-phase 100a, and some of the megayacht facilities will also have 480v 3-phase 100a.
    All Hubbel.
    There are a few variations in other countries, but that is predominant.
  6. olderboater

olderboater Senior Member

7. Capt J

Capt J Senior Member

You can find 220 volt 60 hertz electric at just about every marina in Puerto Rico and USVI.
  8. K1W1

K1W1 Senior Member

This is the most difficult thing to overcome, most of the places in the Caribbean and Central America will serve you 60 Hz electricity with the exception of the ones listed in http://www.worldstandards.eu/electricity/plug-voltage-by-country/ that show they have a 50 Hz mains supply.
  9. Marmot

Marmot Senior Member

Before getting too worried about frequency, look at the dataplates on your electrical equipment, about the only thing you might have problems with are some motors but generally, running them on 60Hz should create no problems. Going from 60Hz to 50Hz can be problematic for motors and transformers but this is not your issue so forget all the horror stories you hear.

Resistive equipment could care less, inductive equipment like motors (air conditioning and refrigeration, fans, some pumps) may not like it because of the 20 percent increase in rotational speed. Transformer equipped stuff is normally not bothered either. If you are concerned about the airconditioning and reefer units, contact the manufacturer and ask. Generally, a scroll compressor will increase capacity by about 20 percent when a 50Hz unit is operated on 60Hz. I have worked on several 50Hz boats that lived for years on 60Hz shorepower without any frequency related issues at all.

For what it's worth, I have a hot tub that I inherited from a 50Hz boat refit about 7 years ago. It has been running at 60Hz every day since and the only problem I have ever had was replacing a start capacitor on one motor about 3 years ago. The increase in water velocity from the jets is awesome.

If you have a newer boat, many of the AC devices may be rated for 50/60Hz anyway.

The bottom line is for you to look at the nameplates on your equipment and if you have any questions about a particular device, ask the manufacturer directly, don't depend on what you read on the internet or even what your airconditioning guy or local boat mechanic tells you ... myths outnumber facts by 100:1 .... I know that for sure because I read it on the internet.
  10. captholli

captholli Senior Member

While the majority of the Caribbean islands are 60Hz. there are solid state freq. inverters and rotary gen. inverters available to lease for a price and a good agent can assist you in tracking one down. While dockage in the Caribbean is expensive, its the electrical dock supply that's going to dent your wallet. In many places you'll find that your dockside electrical service is easily two times the price of the dockage . I suspect that you'll find yourself on the anchor more than on the dock as the normal cruiser has been priced out of the dockage market in the Caribbean.
  11. Ferro_T

Ferro_T New Member

Don't know what to quote so thanks all for disccusion, links and help

Looks like it is gonna be not so easy dock over there and easily solve electricity problem.

So what would you all advise me to travel in Caribbean as simply ( I mean Elect. problem) as it is possible and do not spend so much money.

Regards
  12. K1W1

K1W1 Senior Member

How much electricity do you need? Do you have a sailboat or a motorboat? If your needs are not enormous you could probably get most of what you need with solar panels and or a wind generator and decent batteries. If you need everything electric then maybe you need to run your genset a lot or pay for a hookup if you can find what you need
  13. Capt Ralph

Capt Ralph Senior Member

How large is your ship? I'm assuming mostly sail power.

The adventure in crossing is an experience. Hard to have dreams of a trip like this and have details make it more difficult to make happen. Crew in mind?
    If you have generator and inverters now, You could plan on lots of gen-set hours. OH, any solar equipment?

Not sure how long you were planning before heading back to the Med, OR; were you planning on taking your ship back?

If your planning on your ship staying in these environments, In depth research on every appliance is needed to determine if it can run on 60htz, 120 or 240 Vac. With this in hand, a reliable marine electric shop may be able to offer a quote to convert you to 60htz, 120/240 service OR dual service. You may consider any upgrades before you leave.

If your just planning a Caribbean vacation, Fly over and rent a boat when you need to gunk around. More time in da Caribe.

Has anybody on your docks make this route?
  14. Marmot

Marmot Senior Member

You have not given us enough information to know if you even have a problem. I will repeat my earlier statement:

"The bottom line is for you to look at the nameplates on your equipment and if you have any questions about a particular device, ask the manufacturer directly, don't depend on what you read on the internet or even what your airconditioning guy or local boat mechanic tells you ... myths outnumber facts by 100:1 ...."

And add this one:

Until you and anyone else reading this knows the details of your electrical system and what flavor of electricity it needs, neither you or anyone else reading this thread can possibly know if you have a problem or give worthwhile advice on how to manage the issue. The solution to what you might think and many may lead you to believe is a "problem" might be as simple as how you (re)connect the shore power plug on your boat.
  15. Ferro_T

Ferro_T New Member

Ship is 55 ft and is Azimut M/Y :) I wouldn't cruise alone - my friend is not a blackbeard but I cruise with him a lot, but just in Europe. Sure I have a generator and no solar equipment :/

I would stay they much longer, I think it can be even 6 months or even more. In this case for sure I need to prepare myself for this as good as I can.
  16. olderboater

olderboater Senior Member

You need to have a professional look at your boat. No one here can help when you don't even know what you have or how it is set up. It's all shots in the dark. With it being Azimut, it could be wired many different ways. It could have been set up only to be used in Europe or with dual systems. Some is dependent on what the original purchaser required. It could be simple to convert or complex. You're requesting answers that no one here could possibly answer.
  17. Marmot

Marmot Senior Member

This thread is strangely reminiscent of the Marlow thread ... when you don't like the answers, keep asking.
  18. Capt J

Capt J Senior Member

You need to look and see if you have a transformer and if it will handle both 50/60hz. Being the boat is in Europe and built for Europe it is most likely setup for 50HZ. You could install a transformer such as an Atlas, which will convert any 220v electric to what you need wherever you go, if the boat is not equipped with one. Many things 50hz will run off of 60hz, such as a lot of the a/c's, pumps, battery chargers, some items flat out won't and will fry themselves, many electronics and other stuff.