Click for Abeking Click for Walker Click for Delta Click for Westport Click for Mag Bay

So many Questions... Looking for a looper

Discussion in 'General Yachting Discussion' started by Brian D, Aug 4, 2015.

You need to be registered and signed in to view this content.
  1. Brian D

Brian D New Member

Hello all,
    longtime lurker, first time poster.

My wife and are starting to plan for our loop adventure. Our only question is on what? Living in the Midwest, every year I run across people doing the Loop and passing through. Our plan is to cast off the lines in 6 years, so we have time.

I've chartered several Cats, and spent some time on a '43 Defever with stabilizers and loved them all. Looking at reality, we will likely be looking at a trawler from a $$ standpoint. I have been doing some looking at previously cruised vessels and really think the layout on a Ocean Alexander Sedan with a Flybridge is the direction we want to go. The Admiral loves the 'patio' as she calls it. Twin Diesel's are a must - or are they (I do like the Nordic Tugs). My love would be a Cat but after crossing the Gulf on the stabilized Defever i think it's the way to go for a Monohull

So here come the questions:
    - Lehman vs Detriot vs Cat? - variations on a theme? Less HP (to a point anyway) is better, but how many hours is acceptable before a refit/rebuild?
    - How big of a generator do I need? - Generally will be at marinas but not always. is "right sized" better or is overkill better?
    - The Defever had a fantastic stand up engine room. How much time do you spend in the engine room other than oil changes, and filter changes (assuming things are running well)?
    - What other similar vessels should I consider?
    - Which should I avoid?
    - Should I look for one that needs some 'work' and spend the time to really get to know her, or spend more $$ up front and hope that the B.O.A.T. Acronym doesn't come to bite me in the stern

I'm sure as we do more research there will be a hundred more questions, but as this is my first post, I don't want to be 'that guy'

Thanks for any thoughts, comments, insight, or good old fashioned thrashing.

b
  2. Capt J

Capt J Senior Member

I've done the loop in entirety and 1/2 of it another 3 times. As for which engine is better, it depends on the actual model of the engine. Cat's have the largest dealer network and people to fix them throughout the loop considering their heavy equipment market. Detroits would be behind them and then Lehmans.

A single engine with a bow thruster is not a bad way to go, and many trawlers in the size range have a single. Another option that I did a few long trips on would be a 43/44' Lagoon. With the larger motors, you can cruise at 16-16.5 knots. They burn 1.5 GPNM at 16 knots, at 12 knots 2 NM per gallon, at 10 knots 3 NM per gallon, and slower even better. Better than most trawlers that size with a lot more room inside and out. Very stable, plenty or range. A slip might be an issue here or there, but many slips on the loop are side tie and it doesn't matter as much.

When using a boat for the loop, you're putting a lot of hours on everything and you will be spending time in the engine room. An enclosed helm and a lower helm are both very nice to have. Remember the bridge just outside of Chicago has a low clearance of 19'2 although many times it will have 20-21' of clearance but you can't bet on it.
  3. ranger58sb

ranger58sb Senior member

4. Capt Bill11

Capt Bill11 Senior Member

- Lehman vs Detriot vs Cat? - variations on a theme? Less HP (to a point anyway) is better, but how many hours is acceptable before a refit/rebuild?

CAT and Lehman then Detroit.

You can get a CAT worked on anywhere.

Lehmans are old school, simple, easy to work on, give you a lot of room in most engine spaces and very reliable.

Detroit's can be good engines but just not my first choice.

- How big of a generator do I need? - Generally will be at marinas but not always. is "right sized" better or is overkill better?

Right size is better than over kill.

- The Defever had a fantastic stand up engine room. How much time do you spend in the engine room other than oil changes, and filter changes (assuming things are running well)?

Having as much room in an engine space to get to things can be very important. And it encourages you to get in there and do the proper daily checks and spend a little extra time looking things over. As does proper lighting down there.

- What other similar vessels should I consider?

Flemings, Grand Banks, etc.

- Which should I avoid?

Old tied out ones that are money pits and time eaters.

- Should I look for one that needs some 'work' and spend the time to really get to know her, or spend more $$ up front and hope that the B.O.A.T. Acronym doesn't come to bite me in the stern

Spend up front. Look at one that people have just finished doing the loop in perhaps. There is a loopers gathering coming up. You might want to go and look at boats and talk to the loopers.
  5. NYCAP123

NYCAP123 Senior Member

All good answers. Single engine will be a lot more economical, but my vote would be for twins. The maneuverability will be your reward in a few tight spots, as well as some of the locks with swift currents. Although trusters are a big help, I hate to have to depend on them. The open Gulf run over to Florida is a 24 hour cruise in an 8 kt. boat. That leaves many waiting weeks for a weather window. 16+kts. (twin screw) could actually save you considerable money by cutting dock time. I'd consider a lower helm station almost a must have. A flybridge is nice on a beautiful day, but most days will be too hot, too cold, too wet, too buggy, etc. Lock that 19'2" number that Capt. J mentioned in your mind as you look for a boat. If you can get below 17' you can also do the Champlain Canal in NY. Also keep in mind that you'll want to change your anode over to Magnesium or Aluminum once you get to the top of the Hudson. I like the cats, but it does limit the availablity of dockage a bit if you go over an 18' beam.
  6. Mr.

Mr. New Member

love your info/intel.... First timer here also but well read lol. but one question I have (will dole them out slowly is What's the difference between a M and NM isn't a mile a mile? OH while I'm here how many Knots equal a MPH thanks all
  7. olderboater

olderboater Senior Member

It's a good thing we know you're just joking, yanking our chain.
  8. NYCAP123

NYCAP123 Senior Member

1.15 mph
  9. Capt J

Capt J Senior Member

M=miles (statute)
    NM- Nautical Miles =1.15 statute miles
  10. Old Phart

Old Phart Senior Member

Some suggested "learning time" for your pleasure.

Michael Does The Loop

The Great Loop is a 6,000-mile circumnavigation of the
    easternmost third of the United States.

This is the story of my trip.
    1. 1 Dec

Transport Day #33: An Historic Day As Valhalla Completes The Great Loop

http://michaeldoestheloop.tumblr.com/
  11. RB480

RB480 Senior Member

That is yours truly FYI who has the mention in those articles. I was procured to deliver the boat from Michigan after Capt. Ed retired from duty.
  12. Capt Bill11

Capt Bill11 Senior Member

What happened to Ed?
  13. NYCAP123

NYCAP123 Senior Member

Ed dealt with (fill in the blank) one time too many and decided to leave that boat, and boating. No more (fill in the blank), (fill in the blank) or (fill in the blank). Loving retirement.:D
  14. captholli

captholli Senior Member

Hey there! Welcome back after leaving again or again oh no, is this Ground Hog Day?
  15. RER

RER Senior Member

...it might be time for somebody to update their avatar.