Click for MotorCheck Click for Abeking Click for Glendinning Click for Burger Click for JetForums

Should I get my prop shafts rechecked?

Discussion in 'Props, Shafts & Seals' started by FIQ, Aug 2, 2016.

You need to be registered and signed in to view this content.
  1. FIQ

FIQ Member

My 58' Navigator has been on the hard for 97 days.
    Because of an unfortunate series of events including ZF having to make a pinion gear, I am losing out on boating season!
    Hopefully that will come to an end soon because ZF should be overnighting the gear today.

After installation of the transmission, shafts, drip proof seals, cutlass bearings, and props the girl will sit in the water for 3 days.
    They told me that the hull needs to settle itself,out after being on the hard, before shaft alignment.

My question is this: After being layed up for so long, would it be a good idea to have the alignment checked again?
    I was thinking of the hull turning into a pretzel after being laid up.
    Is 3 days long enough?

Thanks for a great forum!
  2. Bamboo

Bamboo Senior Member

Viking Yachts used to wait 24 hours for the hull to "settle" prior to making the final alignment. We'd make an alignment on the hard and then redo it after 24 hours in the water. There was little if any difference if the boat is supported properly on land. BTW- if you adjust the stands while doing a laser alignment you can make the read-out change to just about anything you wish. 3 days is far too long IMHO, three hours is enough.
  3. FIQ

FIQ Member

Thanks, Bamboo!
  4. DOCKMASTER

DOCKMASTER Senior Member

We align big commercial ships with hugs shafts and props. We typically wait 24 hrs after hitting the water. It won't hurt anything to wait 3 days but seems excessive. If the 2 days is important to you do your final alignment after being the water 24 hrs and you should be good.
  5. RER

RER Senior Member

Navigators are not the most robust built boats. They can be a little flexible. Not in the same league as a Viking sportfish and certainly not a commercial ship. If the yard wants an extra day or so to settle what's the harm? If you cut it short and then have alignment issues what is the yard going to say?
  6. Capt Ralph

Capt Ralph Senior Member

If you want the yard to back up their alignment,
    Let them do it their way and soak for 3 days.
  7. PacBlue

PacBlue Senior Member

All boats, commercial or pleasure flex, in or out of the water. Period. Some more than others, as stated above.
    Then add direct sunlight while dry-docked in FL and SoCal and you will be moving (measured in thousandths) all over the place.
    Take the yards good (conservative) advice, let it rest in the water for 3 days, go through the natural heating/cooling cycles of day/night, and they will standby (warrant) their alignment.
  8. FIQ

FIQ Member

Oh, I was going to let them have their 3 days, it's just That I was wondering if it would be worth it to have is rechecked after 30m days.

120+ days on the hard has to twist her up don't you think?
  9. Capt Ralph

Capt Ralph Senior Member

I think your worried about to much up front. Let her sit 3 days, get er done & go have fun.
    Even on a wood boat, I don't see any problems down calendar after the yards alignment.
    If there is an issue (lots of new vibrations) then bring her back.

Take a look from their point; the yard wants a first (and only) labor line for their alignment, let you go, get paid and sleep well at night. Requiring 3 days has pretty much covered there good sleeping and good dreams.

Do not let some smuck postings from another wana-be web site keep you up & worried.

In the marine service industry, Near all are on your side and want you happy with minimal issues.
    So Far your post have been the yard wants to cover their issues (extra soaking time) and do their job well.

I have read no complaints on any issues about the yard on this thread so far.

I would ask now to cover any future issues; What condition are your mounts in and has anybody questioned them at any time?
  10. FIQ

FIQ Member

Ok rcrapps..

I'll take you advice and not worry about it..
    I checked the mounts and they still look good. Not too hard with no cracks.

Update on the world traveling pinion shaft..

Last Friday it was going through Customs in Florida after which it will be shipped to Harbor Marine in Everett, WA.

They should get it by Tuesday and I can pick up my transmission on Wednesday.

With any luck the big girl should be back in the water by Friday afternoon.

Looks like I'll be back boating soon.

That is to say sitting around on the flybridge with a cold one recounting the horrors and misadventures of being in the yard!

Thanks for all of our help!

Now I have to get ready to go after the ever elusive Puget Sound Chinook!
  11. Capt Ralph

Capt Ralph Senior Member

If it's not to painful can you expand on your events? What repair decisions were made? Why only the pinion gear? Any other repairs or updates while on da hill?
    Oh, we love pictures of tore down clutches, bad pinions and boat projects.

Well, you have another week on the hill.
  12. FIQ

FIQ Member

Ok, rcrapps, here goes.

March 5th, we ran over a deadhead (a log floating just under the surface).
    I felt a vibration afterwards, so we slowed down and limped back to our slip.
    Since we were scheduled for haulout on April 25th anyway for zincs and bottom paint, I thought to check it out then.

We saw a bent port shaft with maybe some prop damage.

Both props and shafts were removed to be checked/repaired, and I thought might as well replace the cutlass bearings and install new PSS seals.

Should only take a week and a half, tops!

That is until it was found that the output shaft was found to have excessive play up and down.

The yard guys hadn't schedule for transmission removal, so I had to wait until they could fit me in.

That took 6 weeks.

After the transmission was removed, I took it over 2 hours away to the transmission shop in order to help move things along.

3 days later, the trans shop guys says that the pinion gear was defective, and because of the somewhat rare ratio, they could not find a replacement.

ZF would have to make one in their factory in Italy with a estimated ship date of August 2!

August 2 came around and no record of it being shipped.

I was starting to freak out by now because Italy shuts down in August for vacation, so I was looking at September to get the part!

Well, the pinion gear was found in customs in Florida and would be shipped out the same day.

I called on Tuesday, the 8th, and the trans shop said that even though they had the part, most of the guys were out with the flu!

I was then to call again yesterday morning to see if any of the guys came back and 2 did.

They said that I could pick it up on Thursday to give the new paint time to dry.

I told them that I have lots of paint and it could dry while hanging on the back of the engine!

I drove up picked up the transmission, and delivered it to the yard guys.

They are scheduled to install the transmission today.

After the shafts, bearings,seals, and props are installed, the girl should be splashed Monday.

I would show you, but I left the gear on the boat, but could only find a small divot on one of the teeth.
    I'm sure that Seattle Gear Works could have repaired it.
    I've seen whole teeth rebuilt, so this should have been easy.

Dang and double Dang!

The only good thing that came out of this ordeal was that I was able to catch up on the other maintenance items that I had on my list!
  13. Capt Ralph

Capt Ralph Senior Member

Another boating adventure.

I wonder what else was wrong with that gear causing the output shaft to have excessive play up and down?