Click for YF Listing Service Click for Mulder Click for Furuno Click for Northern Lights Click for Abeking

Sea strainer maintenance, Good idea or bad idea?

Discussion in 'Technical Discussion' started by C4ENG, Jun 20, 2006.

You need to be registered and signed in to view this content.
  1. C4ENG

C4ENG Senior Member

I work on a 150 foot yacht built out of aluminum. We sit in the warm inner waters of the Carolinas that produce the most growth on a vessel that I have seen for myself. I am constently tyring to keep the sea strainer clean for the A/C system. When I pull out the strainer there is very little trash but loads of growth. Some one once told me that they knew this guy who knew this other guy that knew an engineer that went to a pool store and bought one of those floating chlorine tablet dispensers and through it in his sea strainer. Supposedly it worked real well with the growth issue and kept him from having to constantly clean the strainer. Sounded great to me in therory if it does work, but the first thing that came to my mind afterwords was what the unforseen negitive results could possibly be. Could that do damage? All of a sudden all the ER pipes start falling off and I sink a boat? I don't know. Does any one out there know? Please let me know something if you have any experiences in such a subject.
  2. Dhowdodger

Dhowdodger New Member

I have had similar problems and have tried threading copper wire thru the strainer this works to a degree, however with an alloy hull maybe thats a bad idea. :confused:

The link below may be worth checking out, and if anybody has actualy used this system, feedback would be cool. Am considering it myself for a new build next year.

www.cathelco.co.uk
  3. Loren Schweizer

Loren Schweizer YF Associate Writer

Dhowdodger:

If I'm not mistaken, from the galvanic series, copper is cathodic to aluminum in which case the hull would see wasteage due to a galvanic couple with the Cu wire.
  4. C4ENG

C4ENG Senior Member

That cathod and anode subject has got to be one of the most tricky subjects in all of yachting to remeber what is what and what is good and bad. I always have to open a book when dealing with those issues. I checked out that web page and it was good to learn that they have electrolytic systems to clean your pipe foul out. At least they say it works. I have not seen it out on the field yet myself or heard any one talking about it before. Thanks for sharing that. I hope we can get some more coments of experience from out there.
  5. YachtForums

YachtForums Administrator

I know that slow-dissolving Chlorine tablets have been used in A/C condensation pans to fight algae for years. There’s a product called A/C Fresh, specifically made for the drip pans of marine air conditioning systems. It’s suppose to control algae, bacteria and odors with a time-release package. I've never used, so I can't vouch.

One thing that comes to mind is keeping the strainer in the dark, hidden from light. This should help discourage algae growth. Short of leaving a Clorox tablet in your sea strainer, what about using small pieces of the tablet to flow through the lines, so they don’t sit still in one place?

The one caveat to keep in mind with chlorine is its effect on stainless steel. It’s corrosive and will attack stainless. Over time, it will actually weaken the metal. Oh yeah, welded joints are particularly susceptible to damage too.

Still scratching my head on this, but I would think an a/c manufacturer would have some answers. An old friend is Jim Nall, from Aqua Air. His company has chilled everything from Gallant Lady to Limitless. Matter of fact, Jim's ex-girlfriend was hot enough to help Wexner fund Limitless!

Give him a call at 305-884-8363. Tell him I said to get a job! :D
  6. Loren Schweizer

I have no idea if this has any merit, but in climbing around in various engine rooms of larger yachts, I have witnessed a little blue light plumbed into the freshwater supply adjacent to the watermaker and was told that this UV light inhibited algae growth.
    Dunno whether or not it's witchcraft or science...

Not to get too far offtopic, Carl, but Inquiring Minds are wondering how the lass associated with J.D. Nall helped fund Leslie Wexner's toy;)
  7. YachtForums

YachtForums Administrator

Limitless = Victoria's Secret = HOT models = Jim's ex-girlfriend. :D
  8. wdrzal

wdrzal Senior Member

There are no micro-organisms known to be resistant to UV, unlike chlorination. UV is known to be highly effective against bacteria, viruses, algae, molds and yeasts, and disease causing oocysts like cryptosporidium and giardia. In practice, bacteria and viruses are the cause of most major waterborne pathogenic diseases. Of these enteric viruses, hepatitis virus and Legionella pneumophila have been shown to survive for considerable periods in the presence of chlorine, but are readily eliminated by UV treatment. For most microorganisms, the removal efficiency of UV for microbiological contaminants such as bacteria and virus generally exceeds 99.99%. Specifically, the following are moved to an efficiency of greater than 99.99%: E-coli, Salmonella typhl (Typhoid fever), Salmonella enteritidis (Gastroenteritis), Vibrio cholerae (Cholera), Mycobacetrium Tuberculosis (Tuberculosis), Legionella pneumophila (Legionnaires' Disease), Influenza Virus, Polio virus, and Hepatitus A Virus (better than 90%).

UV light has the same effectiveness in A/C and ventilation duct work.FYI its also HIGHLY recommended to install electronic air filter in the A/C ducts.
  9. Ben

Ben Senior Member

Thanks wdrzal, interesting info.
  10. Dhowdodger

Dhowdodger New Member

So Wdrzal if you had a UV light source located above a sea water strainer with a clear lid would that inhibit fouling and or barnacle growth in the piping of any of a yachts raw water systems?
  11. wdrzal

wdrzal Senior Member

I currently own A HVAC/R/E business and use uv to filter water and prevent orginasims from growing in a/c duct work. So I really don't know your answer for sure as to marine use, as it may not affect larger barnicles and sealife. But I know I would be giving it a try. The wave length of uv light can differ so you would have to experiment to see what worked the best. I guess one for starter could aquire a uv bulb and submerse it in sea water and see what happens. I see no reason why it wouldn't work unless sealife aquired a certian immunity to uv light.
  12. dancerscap

dancerscap New Member

I have no experience with uv in marine mechanical use but in marine aquaria the uv bulb must be submerged to prevent it being blocked by the surrounding plumbing, even a clear lid.
  13. Loren Schweizer

The watermaker people, such as Watermakers, Inc. and Sea Recovery, offer UV options and the latter company goes further with chemical & pH treatments.
    They state that the UV kills bacteria, viruses, and microorganisms.
  14. keljen

keljen New Member

marine growth in strainers

Hi Guys

Im C/E on a 145 ft aluminum sports fisher
    We have 7000 shp , butt your dirty strainers..... we have a "Cathelco " protection system for the hull.

A side effect is that we have NO mmarine growth in our stainers . Even after 4 months in a Fort Lauderdale boat yard there was no growth when we inspected stainers

They are a UK based company so email them
    Clive
  15. Captddis

Captddis Guest

Bromine tablets work well and are not as corrosive as chlorine.