Click for Glendinning Click for JetForums Click for Ocean Alexander Click for Burger Click for Westport

Scuba or Hookah?

Discussion in 'General Yachting Discussion' started by Liberty, Sep 9, 2015.

You need to be registered and signed in to view this content.
  1. Liberty

Liberty Senior Member

Beau, I was worried about too much kit, and it does matter! It was when in addition to having a Hookah compressor installed and annually maintained, I realised I would need about 350ft of air hose to get to the anchor from the cockpit that the Hookah solution just wasn't worth it. Ok for clearing propellors, but not ok for anchor clearing.

Thanks for your help regardless. Always appreciated.
  2. Capt Ralph

Capt Ralph Senior Member

Still looking but I'm not sure now if there any snoozing pics.
    However, one of the Cudas that watched over us and Hookah inspecting the 500 mile paint job.
    P6230016a.JPG P6230032a.JPG
  3. K1W1

K1W1 Senior Member

If that paint job has lost so much after 500 miles I would look at a few things before wasting my money on applying the same stuff in the same manner
  4. Kafue

Kafue Senior Member

Mate, that's on the running gear, and it is not PropSpeed.
    Hey rcrapps, that's what happens when you keep falling asleep on the job...
  5. Capt J

Capt J Senior Member

RCRAPPS= The big question is how old are those rudder and shaft zincs? If they are only a month or two old, you've got electrolysis going on and electrolysis will burn paint off of running gear in no time.

I like a scuba tank with a 75' hose for the boat, you can either leave the tank on the aft deck and cover the whole boat or in the tender and cover the whole boat and it's easy, you're just carrying a regulator/hose, weight belt, and snorkling gear or even less.......

For diving, now that's a different story.....Brownie's third lungs can cause major damage to conch and lobster in shallow waters of the keys or Exumas in 30' and under.......But that's about all they're good for IMO......
  6. Capt Ralph

Capt Ralph Senior Member

That was paint and zinc from November 2012. The pic was during vacation in the Bahamas, summer 2013.
    It was a mix of Vivid knowing it was not going to last. It sure looked good when it went in.

I did not post that picture for any maintenance critics, just how easy it was to use the hookah rig from off boat.
    The 500 miles was a guess from Jax to the bottom, up and over to the Abacos, on a sand bar passing Taloo cut and down to Pete's Pub.

37 year old gear looks da&& good to me.

Thx for everybody's concern.
    Last edited: Sep 21, 2015
  7. Reginald

Reginald New Member

Reginald Buckingham III of Bainbridge Island, WA

I agree. My vote is for a boat mounted Hooka system. Break out your spear guns. :)
  8. Capt J

Capt J Senior Member

Boat mounted is too restrictive IMO. You could get the floating third lung and still leave it in the boat if need be. For boat maintanence, I prefer a tank and 75' hose with a regulator. But if you have a lot of shallower water......FL keys or Exumas, the Hookah's do work well.