Click for Nordhavn Click for Abeking Click for YF Listing Service Click for MotorCheck Click for Burger

Sailboat to trawler, but which trawler?

Discussion in 'General Trawler Discussion' started by SailorGreg, Jun 19, 2014.

1. jsschieff

jsschieff Senior Member

How do Offshore powerboats compare to Fleming and Aleutian? They make several models in the 60-80 foot range.

Some of the Ocean Alexander and Cheoy Lee models look nice but I'm not sure about quality compared to a Fleming.
  2. olderboater

olderboater Senior Member

As long as you watch draft and air draft and length is not too great, then any boat that can handle the Bahamas and Caribbean will make a fine loop boat. It wouldn't necessarily be true the other way around.
  3. Capt J

Capt J Senior Member

Offshore makes a very good boat also which is well built and a good sea boat and the OP should check those out as well. I simply forgot about them......
  4. rudolph

rudolph New Member

Fleming 55 has a 5 foot draft and fuel burn of 1.2 gals per Nautical Mile at 10 Kts.
    Most owners run at 10 Kts but can speed up to 18 Kts when necessary.
    Good Luck in your search.
  5. brian eiland

brian eiland Senior Member

I might suggest you spend a little time on some powerboats, both mono and multihull. And particularly in a rolley anchorage, even just a very moderate one

Shallow Draft & Rolley Anchorage

Back Side of Cape Hatteras Islands

Maybe have a look thru a couple of these videos of solving the roll problem at anchorage.
    Trawler Forum - View Single Post - Redesigning the Pilgrim 40 Trawler / Canal Boat
  6. Capt J

Capt J Senior Member

Another great option for island hopping and shallow draft, fuel efficient trawler style, and they're also set up for lack of generator use......Would be a 44' Lagoon power cat...... at 10 knots with the large engines they get 3 mpg, 12 knots 2 mpg, and at 16.5 knot cruise 1.5 gpm....... I have about 2000NM of sea on 2 of these and the ride was very impressive.....very roomy also if you don't mind stairs.......but it could quite possibly be the perfect island boat for many people......I had one in a 4-5 aft beam sea at 12 knots and then 7' on the stern and ran at cruise right through it.
  7. YachtNewbie

YachtNewbie New Member

Although I am THE newbie; my research has taken me to the Selene ( formerly Solo) line of single engine diesels and the Defever twin diesels in the 44 to 50 foot CPMY versions.

Good fuel capacity and the newer 50' CPMY has a King Bed in the main cabin. Most are equipped with John Deere and can be found in the $700K range for a 2010 and even a few 2014's.

The Selene is one of the nicest built single engine diesel I have seen equal, in my opinion, to the Nordhavn but with nicer finishes and appointments.

You can get a nice fairly new Selene up to 53' in the $700K range as well.

Hope that helps.
  8. mapism

mapism Senior Member

Not really.
    The "no heeling" requirement is nicely met by any powerboats, not only catamarans.
    And also with regard to the overall comfort of the ride, there are radically different views on catamarans:
    Some folks think that they are more comfortable.
    Some others actually tried cruising with them... :p
  9. brian eiland

A picture is worth a thousand words, sir
    ...but perhaps you don't term this heeling :rolleyes:

Attached Files:

10. HTMO9

HTMO9 Senior Member

No Brian, that is rolling (and a quite bad one), a sailboat would remain in that angle of bank the whole day :D. That is what woman get sick of after many years of sailing with their husbands (more or less voluntarily). I can tell !!!
  11. ArielM

ArielM Senior Member

that nordhavn was in the Nordhavn atlantic rally. his stabilizers stopped working and had a "rough" ride as a result.
  12. mapism

mapism Senior Member

I surely don't, as has already been explained.
    Besides, if you are implying that in rough sea catamarans don't roll, you either belong to the category of those who never cruised on a catamaran (but I don't think so) or you have some vested interest in them.
    The real world difference between monohulls and catamarans is that the first CAN be stabilised, while the latter can't.
  13. HTMO9

HTMO9 Senior Member

Stability of catamarans

And I still love the term for stability of a catamaran, which was given here on YF.

"The most stable position for a sailing catamaran is upside down"! :D
  14. olderboater

olderboater Senior Member

That was the most frequent issue for the Nordhavn's on that rally. They obviously at that time hadn't figured stabilizers out completely. I would think today's models have much less problem with them.
  15. brian eiland

...two little excerpts...

a) When a ship or boat leans over to one side, from the action of waves, or from the centrifugal force of a turn, or under wind pressure, or from amount of exposed topsides, or displacement of its buoyancy centers, it is said to 'heel'

b) Inclined position from the vertical: the boat is at ten degrees of heel

The vessel above is heeling over from side to side, which we further describe as rolling. Point is that IS still heeling,....maybe we term it repetitious heeling?

I understand that lots of women, in particular, get sick of the sea motions of vessels. But my personal experience is that a vessel in a 'steady state' of heel is a lot more 'user friendly' than one that is that is constantly rolling (heeling)from one side to the other. That is both from personal experiences, and feedback from lots of other boating people.
  16. brian eiland

Not only a rough ride, but I think I remember some discussions of abandonment if things got any worst.
  17. brian eiland

I think I have had quite a bit more experience than you may understand,....and yes I do have a vested interest, having promoted multihulls for a large number of years.

Multihull Concept

Actually the latter (catamarans) can stabilized by simply adding a steadying sail, or full sail rig to them.

They can then cross oceans (to include around the world) in conditions that no powerboat would dare venter out into. In fact I think it is several large catamarans and trimarans that hold all of the records for non-stop transit around the globe.
  18. karo1776

karo1776 Senior Member

19. mapism

mapism Senior Member

ROTFL, as if that would have anything to see with the debate on comfort while cruising.
    Not sure if it's this comment of yours or the semantic argument on heeling=rolling that made me laugh the most.... :D
    Not to mention that we were talking of POWER boats, not sailboats.

Anyway, I'll tell you what.
    You're happy cruising with catamarans, I'm happy cruising with a stabilized trawler.
    Each to their own, and fair winds! :)
  20. karo1776

karo1776 Senior Member