Click for Westport Click for Furuno Click for YF Listing Service Click for Burger Click for Walker

Sacrificial Anode question

Discussion in 'Technical Discussion' started by Zud, Feb 12, 2017.

You need to be registered and signed in to view this content.
  1. Zud

Zud Senior Member

Captains All,
    Sacrificial anode question. Boat on the hard presently has zinc anodes and will be in in salt or brackish for a week or so after launch in May. After that it will be in Great Lakes fresh water and should change to magnesium or aluminum, Which ? Could I change now while on the hard or should I wait until I get to home port on Lake Erie and haul for new metals?

Thanks

Zud
  2. olderboater

olderboater Senior Member

Aluminum now would be my choice, while it's most convenient.
  3. T.K.

T.K. Senior Member

I agree with "olderboater". Fit the aluminum sacrificial anodes. A week in salt water will have absolutely no adverse effect. The aluminum anodes will still work in salt water.
  4. antioch01

antioch01 Guest

So zincs are no good for fresh water ? Sorry to sound dumb on this subject,,, but new to this sport and we are just purchasing our first "stay in the water" boat. Present boats are a 30' Cigarette, and 20' Blown Big Block jetboat. Both trailered and garaged.
    I have a slip in a spring fed fresh water river, and 1/2 mile to the Gulf. The boat should spend most of the time in the fresh, and take trips out in the salt.
    I am confused now on the Zincs. Will they work in and out of fresh and salt waters or is aluminum better ?
  5. olderboater

olderboater Senior Member

Aluminum
  6. CSkipR

CSkipR Member