Click for YF Listing Service Click for Glendinning Click for Mulder Click for Ocean Alexander Click for Nordhavn

Running from Marathon to Palm Beach.... Suggestions

Discussion in 'Marinas & Waypoints' started by PSW, Nov 4, 2016.

You need to be registered and signed in to view this content.
  1. PSW

PSW Member

Just purchased a 40 Cabo and am planning on running the boat from Marathon where it is currently moored up to Palm Beach to catch a Sevenstar yacht transport. Have been boating my entire life but no experience navigating the Atlantic. Coming from a 40 Ocean Yachts that I owned and operated on the Pacific Ocean and Puget Sound. Used to that length of run but not the local waters. Any tips on the trip and what to be aware of is much appreciated.

Thanks
  2. Pascal

Pascal Senior Member

Weather permitting you can run outside and it s a pretty easy run. From marathon to Miami you ll be running in Hawk Channel which is the stretch of water between the keys and the reef. Nice and deep although make sure you don't miss one of the markers and there are some shallows outside hawk. Well charted so easy run. From Miami north it s all open water with no hazards

If it's too rough you can run inside. Again well marked and straightforward, just follow the well marked icw. I've done it many times with larger boats. From Miami to palm beach it's mostly no-wake zones with many bridges so that stretch will take pretty much a full day

If you can spare a day and since you ve never been down here, and won't be back, I'd suggest you run inside with an overnight stop in Miami to enjoy the sights. It s completely different from the left coast !
  3. Cruz

Cruz Member

In advance of/during your trip I'd suggest reviewing the Salty Southeast Cruisers Net for a compilation of LNMs/crowd-sourced info.
  4. PSW

PSW Member

Running the ICW sounds like a much more interesting route and one I am interested in but my two concerns are the additional navigational hazards or areas to understand local waters vs the ocean and even more so the amount of time it will take. Once I finish orientation on the boat in Marathon I will double check Sevenstar's ETA and load schedule. If time permitting I would like to make it a 2 day run and use the ICW but the way it looks now I will need to run the Ocean. I want to give myself time to make Palm Beach should an issue arise along the way and also to dismantle the outriggers and property stow away. I won't be using the outriggers back home as I keep the boat house in my building and no sense running the risk of them getting caught in a crane during transport.

Appreciate any and all local knowledge.
  5. Ken Bracewell

Ken Bracewell Senior Member

As Pascal said, it's very straight forward. You may not be aware of the Gulfstream, as it's unique to the east coast of the US. The current runs northerly between 0-3 (or more) kts. So if you have a north wind it can get a bit choppy (imagine the Strait of Juan de Fuca with wind against tide). In that case, hug the coast whence you're past Miami to avoid the chop. If it's light or southerly winds, you can jump right in the stream and take advantage of the fuel savings.
    Otherwise, just watch your charts and avoid shallow water. The channel should yield at least 8'.
    If you take the ICW, just study your route before hand and follow the markers. You would also be wise to learn the bridge schedules ahead of time, as many of them only open on schedule.
  6. BoulderGT3

BoulderGT3 Senior Member

Running up Hawks Channel with the crab pots right now may make you want to kill yourself. It's a slalom course and they can be hard to see if it's rough or into the sun.
  7. olderboater

olderboater Senior Member

I'd just head outside if conditions allowed, get in the gulf stream if appropriate conditions, avoid crab pots, icw, and everything else. Running at 20, 25, or 30 knots, it's still a short, easy trip. However, my comments are based on a boat I am very comfortable with. That to me is the issue about how and where to run. How confident you are in the boat.
  8. revluc

revluc Member

Why not hire a local Capt? Not a long run and you already have the cost of Seven Seas. So local knowledge for 2 days is cheap. You get more comfortable with the new boat, get to look around more on the run and help getting your riggers off/sold when you get there.
    Congratulations on the purchase.
  9. PSW

PSW Member

Plan is to run outside and I am open to help but with 3 of us already on the boat it is not critical. A day with the former owner or his captain and I should be fairly comfortable. Going to make a call or two next week and look at some options. Hoping weather improves so I can remove that variable.

Thanks guys.
  10. Captain Zemo

Captain Zemo Senior Member

Congrats on the new boat. Got any pics to share to include the machinery and also the helm / electronics? is it a flybridge?
    Last edited: Nov 4, 2016
  11. PSW

PSW Member

Yes it is a Flybridge. MAN engines.

Will post some pics later.
    Very excited. Look forward to putting some time in this winter updating a few systems and making the boat mine.
    The build quality of the Cabo blew me away and the access to systems is unparalleled in a 40ft boat.
  12. olderboater

olderboater Senior Member

Oh my. I'm sure we'll hear from Capt J as those comments will make his day. I've only heard good things about Cabo's but never been on one myself.
  13. Capt J

Capt J Senior Member

It is true the build quality is excellent so is the ride on the 40'. The outriggers will fit 1 piece from the bow pulpit and through the flybridge (underneath the hardtop) and can be padded and secured pretty easily. Fold the upright bar against the rigger and zip tie and pad it. The layout bar take off of the rigger, fold and secure against the hardtop upright support. 2 guys can get them off and padded in 2-3 hours. I've done it on many.

I too would recommend a Captain and doing the inside you may very well be stuck with as it's been very rough lately. Can run Hawk's channel to the cut inside Biscayne Bay just North of Ocean Reef (key largo) forgot the name of it.

I'm loading a new 98' Benetti on that very same ship. I also do daily Captaining.
  14. PSW

PSW Member

When I arrive in the PNW I won't be using the outriggers much at all so I was planning on completely taking them apart. I am of the belief that they can be taken down to short lengths once the cables have been removed and coiled. Our fishery for salmon, halibut, tuna, etc doesn't dictate the need for outrigger use and my building has a ceiling of 19ft. I am very happy that the boat has a nice Rupp package but use of them will be limited in reality.

So Capt J is that possible to break them down that far. Once broker get's me set #, Rupp indicated they could give me some manuals to review. Your input is appreciated.
  15. Capt J

Capt J Senior Member

Yes, they break down into the 8'ish lengths pretty easily if they're not corroded together. The guide wires are all that hold the lengths together, at each spreader is where the 2 pipes connect. BUT, then you have to pad and label and store ALL of those individual pieces for the freighter trip. If that's the situation you may want to consider keeping them intact and selling them here. They also can be stored along the boathouse ceiling probably in one piece with a few hangers, pretty easily.
  16. PSW

PSW Member

I will be at my boat house in the am and will look at where they might store. If I take them all apart I am very unlikely to put them back together where as if I keep them in one piece I could putting them back on for a 5 day trip or something in the summer. Do you see any issue with shipping the boat with the outriggers left on in the normal upright position. I could call Lauren at Sevenstar and update my total height and the 4 ft or so of additional overhang past the transom if it is a better option. I would just hate for those beautiful outriggers to get bent accidentally by a crane loading or unloading the boat.

Check your PM. Thanks again.
  17. Capt J

Capt J Senior Member

You cannot ship it with the riggers on, 98% of the time. They're incredibly easy to take off in 1 piece (3 bolts) and move them to the bow and secure them out of the way of the crane and they will be safe.

First pad the points on the spreader and put the layout line (you use to pull it back to the boat with) on the upright holder with one wrap so you can lower it easily, then disconnect all of the mono layout lines. Next, undo all of the nuts but leave the bolts in, leave outrigger in the upright holder. Remove layout bars from outrigger, pad, and zip tie to hardtop support, then remove upright bar at base and pad and zip tie to the outrigger. NOW, have a guy in the flybridge and slowly lower it on the side of the boat where the guy in the flyrbidge can hold it, now take the bolt out of the base and start walking it to the bow as the guy in the FB feeds it, then walk it forward till the tip will fit right through the center of the flybridge opening and walk it back to where the spreader will sit on the FB fiberglass and the base should end up right on the pulpit, zip tie it to the bow rail and then tie it in the flybridge. I'll try to find some pictures, but if memory serves me right the spreader on yours will end up on the flybridge front opening and base will be at the pulpit. I've even done them 12' in the air on the hard at a boatyard.

Breaking them down is going to create a can of worms and a half if you ever want to re-assemble them, if they'll even come apart.
  18. BoulderGT3

BoulderGT3 Senior Member

I agree on planning to use Hawks and then the inside. As I said, the pots are a pain in the butt that will last a few hours up Hawks. The cut North of Ocean Reef is Broad Creek. The west side of it is a narrow channel. Just pick your way through. That''s really the only tricky part. Everything is well marked on either Garmin or Navionics. Easy to get dockage in Miami.

Miami to wpb is a long time on the ICW. 8hrs+.

I hope the weather gods are with you and you can go outside.
  19. captainwjm

captainwjm Senior member

Having just done Palm Beach to Miami, be aware that almost all of the bridges operate on schedules, so plan on a lot of waiting. I took it in 2 days due to the frustration of waiting on bridges [weather prevented me from going outside as usual]. Also, around here [Islamorada], the preferred cut from Hawks to Biscayne Bay is Angelfish Creek which is just south of Broad Creek. 5' depths at both ends. Most sportfishers run it on plan, but be aware of the sails, and fishermen in creek. Finally, it is now manatee migration season, so the number of slow and no wake zones has significantly increased.
  20. BoulderGT3

BoulderGT3 Senior Member

You're right on Angelfish. I've never had the balls to run it on plane. Lots of boats in there when I've gone through. I just work the tide instead.