Click for Westport Click for Walker Click for Abeking Click for Burger Click for Mulder

Running Engine Blowers

Discussion in 'Technical Discussion' started by Marblehead01945, Jun 1, 2015.

You need to be registered and signed in to view this content.
  1. Marblehead01945

Marblehead01945 Member

Got a question: We have 2 CAT C15's in our engine room and I'm wondering if its necessary to run the blowers when we run the boat. The reason I ask is that they seem to blow in a fair amount of salt moisture in which of course gets all over everything. This can't be good. The temp without the blowers on is not crazy so what are people doing on their 50-70 foot boats these days?
  2. captainwjm

captainwjm Senior member

I've always thought of diesels as big air pumps and that an intake blower was not needed for regular operation, but only to cool down the ER after shutdown. Add to that my fear of salt in the works, and I'd take an awful persuasive argument for me to believe that running them while operating was wise.
  3. Marblehead01945

Marblehead01945 Member

I completely agree.
  4. dsharp

dsharp Senior Member

I only run them for cool down and only then, when I have to do maintenance for the next day.
  5. Capt J

Capt J Senior Member

It depends on the boat (diesel boats). If the engine room stays salt free with them on at cruise, I run them all of the time when the motors are running to keep engine room temps lower, which helps keep interior temps lower also. If it brings salt in while running with the blowers on, I'll leave them off and only run them when doing non-planing speeds to keep the engine room cooler and after shutdown to cool off the engine room.
  6. Capt Ralph

Capt Ralph Senior Member

Some of the newer boats have air/salt traps. One company I remember was called T systems that some mfgs used or could install after factory.
    Some others have coarse plastic or alloy mesh. All of these systems required an over board drain and required rinsing (to get the salt off).
    Then the plain air box with a drain. Still needs rinsing.
    Most blowers usually draw air from the ER and blows it out. Making the air traps/filters do it's work.

I prefer not to run them during operation; not only more hours on the equipment, but a fan for bad things (fire) that some boats to this day still do not have blower shut-downs.

As commented above, Diesels draw lots (LOTS) of air naturally, let them draw what they need. When not running and your still on the ship, turn the blowers on to help the comfort in the living spaces.

Good blowers are nice when you have to pull maintenance or access the ER.

I've been on boats that all they are was noise makers and never moved the heat (or any air) out at all.
  7. captholli

captholli Senior Member

Hi Ralph,
    Your thinking about the company called "Delta T" out of Riviera Bch, Fl. Very good engineering for de misters and intake traps & fans. Their equipment is now finding its way aboard ships after merging or having distribution rights to a line of German axial fans.
    Very informative website at deltatsystems.com
  8. Capt Ralph

Capt Ralph Senior Member

That's them. Not heard that company name in a while. Well,,, I'm not in those old shoes anymore either.
    Glad they are still up and doing well.
    Thx
  9. Bamboo

Bamboo Senior Member

Delta T is standard equipment on new Vikings. When I was working for Viking one side pulled air in and the other pushed it out. I thought they needed to be reverse-able so that if you had a beam sea on one side you could push air out that side while running.
  10. Capt J

Capt J Senior Member

Cabo also used Delta T
  11. Pascal

Pascal Senior Member

Blowers usually pull air out of the ER, they don't bring it in so they shouldn't bring salt in.

The 70 footer I run has large AC blowers which I only run after shutting down the engines to extract the hot air out and reduce temp in the ER. In our case there are quite a bit of electronic stuff in the ER like battery charger, water maker, etc... So every degree counts.

As someone else mentioned, if you don't have blower shut down tied to the fire system running them underway isn't a good idea as in case of a fire they will suck the agent out.
  12. K1W1

K1W1 Senior Member

Surely it makes no difference to the salt getting in the ER if you have a fan that blows into the space or one that sucks out and the air is drawn by this.

On the boats I am most familiar with we run 2 supply and 2 exhaust fans, these have an automatic mode when they are controlled by a pressure switch so there is always a slight positive pressure.

One of them is also reversible and fed by the EDG to be used if CO2 has been released in the E.R. to help ventilate it prior to re entry.
  13. Bamboo

Bamboo Senior Member

Both my ER blowers fill the ER, not pull from.
  14. Danvilletim

Danvilletim Senior Member

I seriously doubt the architects of these boats would put in these huge fans if they were not meant to be run while underway. We have two huge delta t fans connected to freq. drives. Is there not some engine benefit to having them run while under way?
  15. Capt Ralph

Capt Ralph Senior Member

Anything in the owners manual? Response from a factory reps phone call and hard copy of the company's theory of operation?
    Without any higher authority,,, Leave them off while running. On when you dock after a run or have to go in the engine room.

Is there not some engine benefit to having them run while under way?

There is so much air sucked in by the engines while running. I cant see anything but a load on its power supply and time on the blower motor for not much (if any) benefit. .
  16. Capt J

Capt J Senior Member

Well, the cooler the engines intake air, the denser it is and the more power you derive from it. Would 3-5F make enough of a difference to notice, who knows. You never know why manufacturers install what they install. It could be to cool the engine room as quick as possible after the boat is docked in case you need to work on it.

I managed a 63' Hatteras MY, around a 2003 a long time ago and it had 2 air conditioners in the engine room. The owner had the factory install them in the build because he liked to do his own maintanence and tinker in there and wanted it cool, they weren't for use while the motors were running.
  17. Danvilletim

"
    Approximate consumption of combustion air for a diesel engine is 0.1 m3 of air/min/brake kW (2.5 ft3 of air/min/bhp) produced.

Cat specifies both requirements for air cooling and air combustion. If a pair of c32 is trying to achieve 3200 hp by burning 200gph, it will need a certain amount of air to achieve that design goal or the fuel won't be effectively turned into Hp as designed. Perhaps if you are going slow the need for increased air flow is not needed. But this is why builders are spec'ng $20,000 engine room fans. Not just for cooling

https://marine.cat.com/cda/files/4387976/7/LEBW4971-05 (1).pdf

Enjoy.
  18. Capt J

Capt J Senior Member

It depends. If the engine room air intakes are large enough then even C32 engines can get the air they need without any sort of engine room blower. One way is to run at cruise and see if there is any suction/vaccuum on the engine room door when you open it.
  19. K1W1

K1W1 Senior Member

How do you keep the engine room temperature down when underway if the only air being introduced to the engine room is that for combustion?
  20. Danvilletim

It's for both combustion and cooling.