Click for YF Listing Service Click for Walker Click for Mag Bay Click for JetForums Click for Burger

Rubrail replacement

Discussion in 'Post Yacht' started by OutPost, Aug 3, 2016.

You need to be registered and signed in to view this content.
  1. OutPost

OutPost Member

Not yet, spring project.

I spoke with Mark Demers at integrity (founder of Barbour) - he made many of Post's rails and I think I'll be following his recommendations.

I have a bunch of projects to document once the weather breaks, this will be one of them!
  2. shawn

shawn New Member

Did mine years ago, it more of a project getting the old ones off. Just make sure when you drill into the new ones your are not in line with the stainless screws of the cap of the deck. It works out good with 3 guys one drilling, one driving the screws in and the 3nd holding the rail.
  3. porthole

porthole Member

I bought mine from Post when they had the Jersey facility. I replaced the wood with the then used PVC extrusion. Don't remember how long the pieces were, but IIRC, I bought 3 pieces for $572.
    I borrowed a boat trailer to pickup the parts. Might have been 30' long parts.
    As mentioned above, I marked the hull where the underlying screws were.

It was a big improvement over the wood and looked pretty good too.
  4. OutPost

OutPost Member

So, seems the barbour r1090 reccomended by Mark isn't quite wide enough to cover all the "ugly" underneath the existing wood rails upon removal. The R1090 is 2".

They make a r2070 which is 2 7/8" which should do the trick - and likely will be a bit easier to install and more forgiving as it is semi rigid vs rigid - but it only comes in black - I was planning on white. Both have a 1" stainless insert.

Anyone have opinions on whether or not almost 3" of black rail is too much rail, aesthetically?
  5. SeaEric

SeaEric YF Historian

IMHO opinion the black in any dimension would be a poor choice aestetically. White is what I used when I redid my 1981 42'. You may have to bite the bullet and prep the surface to get rid of the "ugly" prior to the new install. Replacing the wood rubrails with the pvc on my boat made her look like a whole new boat.