Click for Glendinning Click for Burger Click for Ocean Alexander Click for Comfort Click for Abeking

Roamer Corrosion nightmare

Discussion in 'Chris Craft Roamer Yacht' started by rmayo99421, Oct 15, 2014.

1. rmayo99421

rmayo99421 New Member

We have a 1974 Roamer 68. It started out as a 60 house boat design (forward pilot house and portuguese bridge) and our information is that it was taken back to the Chris/Roamer yard and had a cockpit added. We bought it last year and I personally accompanied the surveyor around the boat sounding the hull. I was very concerned that the hull could not be sounded behind the exhaust channels that run 2/3 of the hull length. We had the bottom painted this summer and the hull appeared in good shape. After a couple of weeks back in the water we began to notice water in the bilges and after some demolition found corroded areas and one became a hole when we touched it. My worst fears. The corrosion is at a number of places on both port and starboard on the bulkhead behind the exhaust channels/tubes that run along the outside of the boat just below the water line. I have been pulling out what little hair I have left exploring repair options. It is a fine boat. Handles rough seas very well and built like a tank so I would rather repair than sell. Does any one have any ideas about repair solutions, other than cutting off the exhaust channels and welding new plates into the hull?
  2. Capt Ralph

Capt Ralph Senior Member

I worked on the same model with the same problem. To patch (PATCH NOT REPAIR) You can get to most of it from the inside. Cut the 1/8 inch finish plywood hull liner out in nice squares from the deck up about 10 inche & as wide as you can. Under the vanity remove the drawers and access the liner in smaller parts. Under the port bunks. A good welder can scab small plates from the inside for a patch. The bad alloy is the hull side plate from the bottom seam up 2 to 3 inches. The welder will easily see the bad spots and cover with small plates. If you have the factory tub in the master, you will not be able to reach the hull area under there.
    The correct repair IS to pull the exhaust apart from the out side. Good welders can do it very well. THis is not cheap though.

How long have you had your Roamer?
    The extended 60 I worked on was the sistership to Spellbound. F Lee was aboard ours many times.
  3. jhall767

jhall767 Senior Member

Fix it right. Aluminum or steel? Where are you located? You need to find an experienced welder. Somebody who does it all the time. You'd be surprised at how fast they can re-plate a bottom.
  4. rmayo99421

rmayo99421 New Member

Wow. Man I really appreciate your help. To have someone who actually worked on one of these vessels weighing in my problem is sincerely appreciated.

I do realize that the correct repair is to pull the exhaust channels and repair the hull as needed. The hard part it taking the channels off and putting them back on. The repair will be easy. We just did a bottom job and had new paint up to the rub rail and knew that cutting the exhaust channels off would require a lot of new paint in addition to the welding.

We are going to take Mr. rcrapps advice and have the welder patch the spots that appear to need it since we have already ripped out the hull liner in the staterooms and mater head. It does have a factory tub so I still have not figured out if there is a bad spot behind it. I figure that she will need a new bottom job in about 2 years and that will give me the time to budget the correct repair to be done when she is hauled. I have an excellent welder and have seen his work. I will be talking to him this week about fixing it right.

We bought the boat in March of last year in Stuart FL. She was in need of a lot of love, but besides these leaks, nothing shattering. She still has good bones. We took it across Fl in the Okeechobee and up the ditch to Tarpon Springs. From there to Apalachicola across the Gulf and then to Pcola where she is birthed now. The Gulf is not very friendly in March and April and we met some heavy seas that night but this old gal took it all in stride. It was then I realize this was truly sea cruising machine.

I have had all the through hull fittings, valves and hoses replaced and the bilge is clean. When we were replacing the through hull stuff I capped off several transducer fittings. It seemed like they were everywhere. When we got it back in the water I realized that one or two of them may have been the Capac system. I do not know if it is an active system or just a monitor system. I don not even know how to tell.

We will be hauling the boat next week or two to make these repairs. I have read a lot of pros and cons for Impressed Current Cathotic Protection and quite frankly I am confused. Do I need to fix the old one or install a new one while she is hauled again or just keep the boat zinced up. Do you have any thoughts on a cathotic protection system?

I am a little dissatisfied with the steering. It has a Hynautic System with 3 helms. But they are all 14.5 turns hard over to hard over. I suspect the cylinder may be mismatched but do not know how to tell. Do you have any thoughts on this?

My wife and I are in love with the layout of this boat. Her lines are not that fancy but she is very comfortable and stable. Every one is impressed by the width of the main Salon and that the galley is up. For me, I like stand up engine rooms with a work bench on port and starboard.( A must for an old boat) At the sea trial we got her up to 24 knots and the engines turned up to spec RPM. I am an old sailor and had never been that fast in a big boat. It was so fast it scared me. I will be cruising at 11 knots and below.

The broker told us that the cockpit was added by the Chris Craft Roamer yard. I have heard that it may have been done at the Derecktor yard since Derecktor was the supposedly original designer at Roamer at the time. He also told us that after adding the cockpit, Chris Craft made a few 60 and 74 foot house boats with cockpits from the factory turning them into 68 and even 82 foot vessels.

I saw a picture of Spellbound on YF and it is the same hull, with the same layout on the maid deck except the one I have does not have a fully enclosed aftdeck and the cockpit is substantially larger. The lower deck has a hall way down the middle from under the pilot house to the aft staterooms with an engine room on each side.

He also told us that F. Lee had a boat just like it. You have now confirmed that!

I am not sure what the original name of the boat was. At one time it was the Field Trip and then became the Dreamchaser.

Double Wow. While I was proof reading this I found a post that said you worked on the Dreamchaser!

Again I appreciate your comments and will really appreciate any information you can share about this type of vessel or aluminum Roamers.
  5. Capt Ralph

Capt Ralph Senior Member

So, this is the ole Dreamchaser. Sam Field owned her (Field Trip) and the extension was done in San Diego. Rudders are 11 feet behind the wheels. I have stories.
    It had a Capac system, some bean head talked the owner into disconnecting it and bolt on a lot of zincs (After I left). A lot of my patch ideas are already on her. I was told she was repaired properly. As a few stories from the past, seems to be incorrect,,, again.
    Yes, She has a proven record pushing the weather, As long as those Naiads are working.
    We need to talk. Really, we need to talk.
    Last edited: Oct 15, 2014
    Southern Girl likes this.
  6. Southern Girl

Southern Girl New Member

Hey there Sir ..........I would love to speak to you. This is the Mrs. , We have been refitting DreamChaser for months now. She is an amazing piece of art work with a desire to be updated. Updated she will be . As we have been giving her the valuable attention she must have I am dreaming of the swanky interior she will have. I can not wait to show her off as she fills my heart with joy I will fill her with the life she probably once had and deserves. I found a black plastic box in one of the cubbards with some history . Comments of Spellbound are included. I am proud to be the new owner of the Dream Chaser as she will compliment me. Any history or knowledge on her will be greatly appreciated! Thanks so much. I am so excited to hear about the past life she once had ! The Mrs., ........... Southern Girl
  7. Southern Girl

Southern Girl New Member

8. Southern Girl

Southern Girl New Member

Wow Hello,

We have Dream Chaser docked in Pennsicola, Florida.
    The history is so interesting for me. Thank you for sharing all this info. My husband and I are so excited to have contact with someone who knows so much about the Dream Chaser.

Any and all pictures , documents, dates, stories are more than welcomed.

Once again I'm so excited.
    Talk to you later Mr. R

Southern Girl
  9. alloyed2sea

alloyed2sea Moderator

Jim Wyck at chrisparts dot com will know alot of her history - he helped build Roamers once CC moved them to Florida. His phone number is (941) 795-0292.
  10. Capt Ralph

Capt Ralph Senior Member

Dreamchaser was a GreatLake built ship. Deployed to the left coast. Long cruising history up and down and thru the canal a few times.
    She was NOT a FL built ship.
    Meat head company added the cockpit in San Diego another stuff for brains rebuilt the 71s out there also.

Check out the stamps on the panels holding the mechanical gauges atop the mains. Look familiar? It was a serving dish, cut in half for the gauges. Sam's idea.
    Let me know when you pick yourself back from laughing so hard. I got more..

Don't let anybody mess with the mains alternators until you talk to me. The box on the back is a Pandoras Box. Don't mess with the batteries or chargers also. 12Vdc ship, 24Vdc mains, unique charging system.

Start looking thru the forward cabin (my old cabin) for manuals and drawings. I left note books of hand written stuff. There were manuals for near everything. You will need the notes on the Niaid system.
  11. Laurence

Laurence Senior Member

This Roamer forum never ceases to amaze me with the knowledge available here !
  12. Southern Girl

Southern Girl New Member

I can state that is TRUE. We have found out so much about ou Roamer from a really kind man.
    Thanks Mr. R.
  13. Southern Girl

Southern Girl New Member

Thank you
  14. Southern Girl

Southern Girl New Member

We took everyones good advice. Happy to say Dreamchaser has been in Pcola shipyard for alomost 2 weeks. We found an amazing welder that has 25 years of experience. His work looks so good I want him to make me some aluminum furniture. Shes looking great. Thanks guys
  15. Capt Ralph

Capt Ralph Senior Member

I was day dreaming today about this ole boat.
    Southern Girl,,, You still out there?

I luv the pic of the bow. We put that on there in Liquor dale.
    Bob Cannon was the metal fab.
    Cap rails with stainless under backing (Bob again) was assembled here in Jax.
  16. alloyed2sea

alloyed2sea Moderator

Okay, okay,..., so there I was updating the "List of Known Survivors" and come to the finding that CC made at least SEVEN 60' "houseboats" (Portuguese bridge/helm forward):
    1. "Unk" (Spring Lake, MI.)
    2. "Southern Girl "(nee "Field Trip" then "Dream Chaser").
    3. "Spellbound" (F. Lee Bailey's/now ?)

4. "Christos".
    5. "Arabyia" (nee "Asplenglo"; "Lady Margaret"; "Lady Se'Donna".
    6. "Shelley".
    7. "Galatea".
    Can anyone comment/confirm any of these, the finest "houseboats" ever crafted from 8086?

Attached Files:

Last edited: May 23, 2018
  17. alloyed2sea

alloyed2sea Moderator

Any moreover, somebody needs to explain what exactly which Roamer "Millenium Eagle" is: a 60' Houseboat? Or as the owner claimed, "Only 2 of these custom boats (62') were built in 1978 and were among the very last Roamers built by Chris Craft."
    She had T/12V71s; long FB; black trim; houseboat style; 11' Whaler; pulpit; "disappearing TV".

Attached Files: