Click for Nordhavn Click for Furuno Click for YF Listing Service Click for Glendinning Click for YF Listing Service

Reverso Diesel Fuel "Polishing" System

Discussion in 'Technical Discussion' started by T.K., May 21, 2016.

You need to be registered and signed in to view this content.
  1. T.K.

T.K. Senior Member

Gentlemen,

Is fitting the following Reverso diesel fuel polishing/filtering system an advantage on a yacht which is already fitted with a Racor turbine series duplex fuel water separator unit as primary fuel filtration?

I believe the Reverso system is just another standard fuel water separator which does the same job as the Racor turbine series primary fuel filters.

Reverso Fuel Polishing System.jpg
  2. K1W1

K1W1 Senior Member

In that picture it is setup very much how a normal F.O. Separator is setup. By continual re-circulation you will remove a quantity of the junk in the fuel, with a F.O. Sep is it just a case of cleaning the bowl when it gets dirty, with this filter system it means changing a filter. You could look at this as a first line of defense and run a filter that is a bit larger than the next one in line and so on. So if you run a 20 micron one in that , a 10 in your Racors and a 5 or less in the secondaries you will extend your filter life. I am doing one now where we will run twin F.O. Separators 24/7, all fuel used will have been re circulated through these things. The engines get their fuel after it travels through an engine manufacturers Coalescor setup and then Racors followed by on engine secondaries. The returns go back to the tank and the whole process starts again.
  3. T.K.

T.K. Senior Member

Thanks K1W1 for the reply.

What do you think of the following fuel filter setup connected in series:
    - Primary filters: fuel/water separator filter: Racor turbine series - 30 micron
    - Secondary filters: fuel/water separator filter: Racor turbine series - 10 micron
    - Final filters: Engine mounted filters - 2 micron

Will the above setup be efficient enough instead of fitting the Reverso system which circulates the fuel in the tanks?
  4. K1W1

K1W1 Senior Member

A lot will depend on where the vessel operates and what sort of fuel it takes on.

For a local coastal cruising boat that setup would be fine, for something going deep sea I would go for as much pre cleaning as I could prior to the filters having a turn and would look to fit a centrifugal F.O. Separator.
  5. T.K.

T.K. Senior Member

Understood, thank you K1W1.

I agree to the centrifugal fuel polishing system for large superyachts; systems such as those provided by Alfa Laval. However, if a centrifugal system cannot be fitted due to engine room space limitations on an 86ft yacht which will be primarily used for coastal cruising, then I prefer fitting a 3 stage fuel filtration setup as outlined in my previous post rather than fitting the Reverso diesel fuel filtration system mentioned in my first post which is just a standard fuel water separator. Do you concur?
  6. K1W1

K1W1 Senior Member

For that size and operational profile if you are careful about what you load and carry plenty of spare filters you should be ok.
  7. olderboater

olderboater Senior Member

How much fuel does your boat hold and which model Reverso are you talking about?
  8. Capt Fred

Capt Fred Senior Member

Plus 1 one on the 3 stage. I have used a 30 ( non turbine), 10 and 2 micro fuel filter system for years of coastal cruising with no problems. With this setup the Racor stays much cleaner, well worth the added expense of the additional filter.
  9. T.K.

T.K. Senior Member

8000 liters. The largest Reverso fuel polishing system is 210 GPH.
  10. olderboater

Which is designed for 1000-5000 gallons so perfect for you.

Actually they make 600 GPH commercial units.
  11. Fishtigua

Fishtigua Senior Member

12. olderboater

13. Danvilletim

Danvilletim Senior Member

We are three larg racor turbines primaries on each engine and I was advised to run two. (20, then 2) with one in reserve that could be put in line within seconds? This make sense?
  14. T.K.

T.K. Senior Member

15. Fishtigua

Fishtigua Senior Member

A couple of fuel lines from the diesel tank manifold to the Alfa and on to the day-tank and a power supply, thats all.

All the crud stays in the bowl to be cleaned away.
  16. Capt J

Capt J Senior Member

With all due respect that's not how you use the Reverso system. The reverso sytem is used either as a transfer pump/filter to pump and filter the fuel when pumping from one tank to another tank, or simply to re-circulate the fuel in the same tank. It does not feed the engines and is never to be plumbed "in-line". SO, you want to run a 2 micron filter in them to remove as much algae,water,etc as possible each pass. The reverso system does not supply fuel to the main engines or filter the fuel going to the main engines through it.

TK- yes they do work very well at filtering fuel and removing water from fuel or as a transfer system (which is how I see them plumbed many times) on a boat that doesn't have enough fuel capacity to warrant a centrifuge. My only gripe with them, is I wish they used a Racor turbine filter instead of a separ due to the ease of changing racor elements and the price of the element. With 8000 liters of fuel, if your not worried about the cost of an Alpha that would be the best way to go, but the Reverso would work fine as well, and is a nice setup, for that amount of fuel as well. It has a timer that you can turn it on and set it up to about 12 hours of run time and just let it go by itself if you're just re-circulating fuel.

Danville, I'd run a 30 micron and a 10 micron, 2 seems to get dirty too quickly and clog in most cases, but if you're not having those issues perhaps leave the 2 micron. Keep in mind that filters, do filter to a smaller micron as they get dirtier they get more efficient at filtering.
  17. Fishtigua

Fishtigua Senior Member

J, I hate Separ square filters, the bloody seals never seat properly.

As for Racors, best on the market, but for value Fleetguard now do the Racor and Separ elements for half the price. They cover these part numbers.

OEM OEM Part number Racor
    Separ 20130 2010PM-OR
    Separ 20110 2010TM-OR
    Separ 20430 2020PM-OR
    Separ 20210 2020TM-OR
    Separ 20430 2040PM-OR
    Separ 20410 2040TM-OR
  18. T.K.

T.K. Senior Member

I have decided to fit a single 210 GPH Reverso fuel polishing system. It will pick-up fuel from one tank and return it to the second tank. Both tanks are connected together with a balance pipe.

Thank you for the input.
  19. Capt J

Capt J Senior Member

That should work well.
  20. CaptPKilbride

CaptPKilbride Senior Member

Best practice would be to have as foolproof a system as possible to make absolutely certain that if there is a valve on that balance pipe that it is not inadvertently closed when you are polishing fuel.