Click for Walker Click for Abeking Click for Burger Click for Nordhavn Click for YF Listing Service

Replacing a broken window

Discussion in 'Post Yacht' started by My Affair, Nov 12, 2016.

You need to be registered and signed in to view this content.
  1. My Affair

My Affair Member

I have a 1988 46 Post with a cracked center starboard window. I've taken the screws out and it appears there is this very stubborn bedding compound that has been used to adhere the window frame to the fiberglass structure of the salon. What do I use to break this bond without destroying the frame and other glass.

Thank you.
    Pete
  2. Capt J

Capt J Senior Member

Either commercial razor knives and you whittle away at it carefully while fitting wedges in it as you go, or braided wire with someone on the inside and someone on the outside pulling the wire back and forth sawing away at it. Both work.
  3. chesapeake46

chesapeake46 Senior Member

Do you mean the wood on the inside of the cabin and at the top of the window ?.
  4. Capt J

Capt J Senior Member

It the frame and/or trim is wood, you're going to need to razor knife it and put wedges in as you go. Can't use the braided wire without scarring the wood........ But, if you have to ask, it's usually time to call a professional in.
  5. Bamboo

Bamboo Senior Member

If you are using a razor knife then dish soap is your friend to lubricate the cutting.
  6. My Affair

My Affair Member

Yes, it's the wood inside the cabin.

Razor knife & Wedges sound like a good solution.

I was trying a putty knife and wasn't gaining ground....
  7. RT46

RT46 Senior Member

Heat gun?
  8. Capt J

Capt J Senior Member

Useless
  9. Davidoc

Davidoc Senior Member

Wedges and slow steady pressure. I would tap my wood wedges every hour until she began to release. The fish line method can be used to break the seal around the window when your ready for that job. You should pick up a commercial glass suction cup to help handle the window
  10. mwwhit1

mwwhit1 Senior Member

I ran into that same problem myself. That top wood piece is bedded in really well. Also, the outside handrail screws into it, so make sure you take that off too. I gave up trying to get it off and realized there is only a small 1/2" piece of wood keeping the window from tilting out. You can chisel that off and break the small nails. You also have the break the nails holding the top white track in. Replace the small piece of wood to put it back together. I found you don't really need the nails holding the top track in. Take a look at how I did it here: http://www.yachtforums.com/threads/salon-window-replacement-sliding-to-fixed.24663/#post-215627 One picture shows the small piece of wood coming out. If you don't open that window, you should think about replacing the whole thing and making non-movable. You most likely will have water damage in the lower track. A bigger job than you are planning, but worth it.
    Last edited: Nov 14, 2016
  11. Pascal

Pascal Senior Member

I just had a curved glass panel replaced. They cut the lower seal so they could slide a wire in then saw thru the sealant.