Click for Abeking Click for Furuno Click for Burger Click for Walker Click for Cross

replacement LED bulbs??

Discussion in 'Technical Discussion' started by JimmyL, Apr 10, 2017.

You need to be registered and signed in to view this content.
  1. JimmyL

JimmyL Member

Does anyone have a good source for replacement LED bulbs? I want to change out my interior lights and wondering where I can get these at a decent cost?
  2. Pascal

Pascal Senior Member

If you re trying to replace bi pins halogen G4 you can get led replacements bulbs on amazon for the existing fixtures. Under $10. Make sure you get Warm White not cool white or daylight and make sure they fit as some leds are too large for the small fixtures. Most are 12/24v but some are only 12v
  3. JimmyL

JimmyL Member

Hi and thanks Pascal,
    Yes, these are G4's and was planning on the warm white ones. They do show as being $8-10 each. I was hoping there was a wholesale supplier that could save a bit on this but maybe not. They just don't seem like they should be that much... :)
  4. Maxwell

Maxwell Senior Member

I had good luck getting some replacement courtesy light bulbs from super bright leds... Google it and you can shop by base etc...
  5. Capt J

Capt J Senior Member

That IS wholesale pricing. I did a boat with Scandvik about 2 years ago now, 65 lights, all still working perfectly.....the 10 watt equiv was all that would fit the fixtures AND is still brighter than the 20w halogen or xenons.
  6. ranger58sb

ranger58sb Senior member

marinebeam

The ones we've mostly used are "Force 12" (or something like that) in warm white, spec'd for 10-30V DC.

Not inexpensive, but previous LED discs from other suppliers had some heat issues and the marinebeam G4s seem to handle heat better.

-Chris
  7. menkes

menkes Member

JimmyL
    Just find a good household electrical shop or a good elctronic supply shop and you'll find the same LED lights but for much cheaper price.
    Generaly, things that goes under the title "Marine" are much much more excpensive,
    Although in certain equipment there is justification for the high prices, but in the case of LED lights what is important is the the lamp housing rather than the LED lights.
    I replaced all the lightbulbs in my yacht to LED lights I bought in an electrical supply shop in Thessaloniki , Greece, They have been working perfectly for the past three years, and if one of them is burned, I replace it with another cheap one without finding a supplier in all kinds of remote places
    Nahum
  8. QCom

QCom New Member

I just purchased these:
    https://www.ebay.com/itm/182426878172

Pay attention to lumens (more is more light per bulb, I like at least 300lm or more and then look at color. Warm white is 2500 to 3500 kelven (the lower the number the browner the light) natural white is 4000 to 4500k and cool white (very white and stark) is 5 to 6000k. Be aware that warm white will make the interior look warmer but white walls can look dirty in the light. I like 3500 to 4500 if I can find them. Also look at the voltage. I have found that is you buy a bulb that says 12v you risk it may fail above 12v say when your charging a 13.5v. I like ones that have a wide volt tolerance. The ones above are 12-24 and they seem to be find. I had some others that at 13.5v started smoking and all failed within 20 minutes.

For me it's been trial and error, to find the best ones but they are not that much money if you initially get it wrong. Buy a few and try them before you commit to many.

Thanks
    Norm
  9. 30West

30West Member

I used Super Bright LEDs, good prices and quick delivery, best selection. I ordered a few of a warm-white with high output, my Director of Style over-road my choice, and I ended up ordering a lower output. Those were also too bright, the smallest output ended up working the best. And of course she was right, the brighter ones were a bit dazzling. I considered getting some circles laser-cut out of white acrylic to use as diffusers. So order just a few to try out. These replaced halogen bulbs, I really didn't think the low output would be enough. You can also get dimmers from Super Bright, but have to retro-fit them into your switches.
  10. sailquik

sailquik New Member

I use superbrightleds.com also. I don't know if the prices are the absolute cheapest, but the selection is very good. I changed all the bulbs on an older car I have to LEDs and very happy with the result.
  11. JimmyL

JimmyL Member

Thanks Guys. I ordered some LED's from Super Bright today and think the investment of $50-60 is well worth it in battery power savings. Thanks for the info.

Cheers,