Click for Furuno Click for Cross Click for Ocean Alexander Click for Burger Click for Walker

removing front windows

Discussion in 'Post Yacht' started by bamp, Dec 21, 2015.

You need to be registered and signed in to view this content.
  1. bamp

bamp New Member

Hi guys Read the posts all the time . I remember seeing a post about removing and filling in front windows would like to do this and remove some teak in the spring on my 1980 42 . I could not find the post with the pictures so any help finding the information would be great. Also does any one have any preference to Awlgrip or Interlux perfection . The boat is covered here in New England so we are working on detailing the engine room , removing wall paper sanding and refinishing the interior doors . Thanks to all for helping with ideas and solving problems . When we have a question we know go , thanks to all the knowledgeable people. Bamp
  2. bamp

bamp New Member

3. shawn

shawn New Member

I did that in a 75 and 77. The 80 model has the small window not a hard project to do. There is a wood trim around the window, if you sand the paint off you can pop out the bungs and screws. The window is lexan you will have to fight with it to get it out. Then it is up to you what you want to do with the interior wood. Some guys have put a thin piece of wood to finish the inside. Outside you can use balsa core to fill the hole. Grind the fiberglass back and then you can do your tabbing and firing. Hope this helps if your handy you can do it.
    Shawn
  4. mwwhit1

mwwhit1 Senior Member

5. bamp

bamp New Member

Thanks guys for the info. Will be getting my supplies together for spring projects . Shawn did you spray or roll & tip . Awlgrip or Perfection .
  6. shawn

shawn New Member

Sprayed PPG
  7. porthole

porthole Member

Hello all, kind of miss my 42 and found your forum while reminiscing.

I had the plexi windows and they cracked and leaked, big time on a head sea trip.
    Don't have many pics, but here is what it looked like after I pulled all the crap off prior owners had put on.

Once the original openings were cleaned out I replaced them with 1/4" fiberglass panels I had made. These were glued and screwed in.
    We never got to do the finish work of totally glassing them in, and we already had nice black canvas that wrapped the front of the boat, so it wasn't a priority.

I also had to replace a broken slider on the port side. I pulled all the windows and parts. Glassed in the the bottom channel, used plastic window track and had 2 laminated safety glass windows made (actually recut store door windows). Once the two pieces were set in I made up mahogany "cleats" that screwed together, one inside one outside, effectively clamping the two panes.
    I had nailed in the plastic track and I guess I did not seat one of the nails properly. After a couple of years the rear glass hit the nail head and cracked.

http://s96.photobucket.com/user/porthole2/library/Boats/42 Post?sort=9&page=1