Click for Mag Bay Click for Glendinning Click for Westport Click for YF Listing Service Click for Furuno

Refrigerator replacement

Discussion in 'Post Yacht' started by strike 3, Jun 5, 2016.

You need to be registered and signed in to view this content.
  1. strike 3

strike 3 New Member

I have a 1998 50 post looking for refrigerator options. If anyone has done an upgrade I would apreaciate any information.
  2. NYCAP123

NYCAP123 Senior Member

I assume you're always on either shore power or gen, so a/c-d/c isn't necessary. I bought a new fridge for my home a couple of years back and found that they changed dimensions since the last one I got in the 90's. In my case the new one entends a couple inches less into the room. The same sq. ft. is now taller. So I had to reduce size to make it under my cabinet. Check the measurements and compare to any openings you need to go through.
  3. kubu

kubu Member

We replaced outs recently in our 46 with a Stainless Steel from Lowe's. They delivered it and helped get it in place for free.
  4. RT46

RT46 Senior Member

do u have a pic?
    do you have a make and model number?
  5. PtJudeRI

PtJudeRI Senior Member

Height is the issue!!

Just did this last season. I used the AJ Madison website to see what was available to me. They have a good website that will filter appliances based on dimensions, height specifically... Fridges have gotten taller! If I remember correctly, I put in a GE or a Hotpoint. We pulled off the teak facings as well, so we could re install them on the new unit.

Install is fun too... I had to block up my fridge using 2x4 mahogany, as it was about 2.5" too short and then attach the fridge to the wood with some angle iron to secure it. Not a fun job. Home Depot did deliver the fridge and get it on the boat though. So that was cool.
  6. jrp4783

jrp4783 Member

I have a 2000 '50 Post with a GE Hotpoint CTX16BYBNRAA. I'm looking to replace mine and have found a similar size fridge - 28"x64"x31.5" (WxHxD). It's also made by GE - GTE16GSHSS. I have not replaced mine yet but this seems to be almost the same size.