Click for Nordhavn Click for Westport Click for Mulder Click for Ocean Alexander Click for Nordhavn

recycled yacht question

Discussion in 'General Yachting Discussion' started by saltysenior, Oct 19, 2015.

You need to be registered and signed in to view this content.
  1. saltysenior

saltysenior Senior Member

There seems to be plenty of forums and threads about new yachts and what is being
    built and what will be built.. When one looks at the rear pages of a boating or yachting magazine, you can see there is a substantial turnover with the ownership of yachts.
    My question is , where and how does one find or follow the ownership, location, fate, etc. of a yacht from the past ???
  2. Capt J

Capt J Senior Member

Possibly a vessel name search through the USCG documentation center. Google. Ownership of yachts isn't exactly widely publicized.
  3. NYCAP123

NYCAP123 Senior Member

http://www.st.nmfs.noaa.gov/st1/CoastGuard/VesselByName.html also through state registrations. Tracking a yacht from craddle to grave can be very difficult though as they often pass trough several, sometimes foreign, jurisdictions. Ownership can be very difficult to assertain as owners value their privacy and will often own the vessels under corporations or holding companies. On forums it's considered bad form to publish owner's names.
    There's a site where you can find where many of the largest yachts have been (can't post the name), and many yachts and ships can be tracked on Marine traffic.
  4. saltysenior

saltysenior Senior Member

I tried CG/doc....I think I could get info on Hillary's cell phone # easier ......

I'll make it simple... Looking for info about a 67' Stevens delivered to the east coast in '71.......It was named 'Bonne Mer'' an it was run by Capt Bill Darrel of Ft. Laud..... It was sold about 3 yrs. latter and became the ''Ilona' from Palm Beach...Ed Cameron of Stevens in Fl. was a factory rep....It was featured in the Dec.'71 issue of American Boating.....It was painted one year by Bob Rosciolli when he painted....
    Last edited: Oct 22, 2015
  5. NYCAP123

NYCAP123 Senior Member

With those names I'd start by contacting their families and follow the bread crumbs, at least up to when records were transferred to computers. You could also try to trace her through company archives. My guess though is that she long ago went the way of old boats.
  6. K1W1

K1W1 Senior Member

See of you can find out via the article you say was published where she was registered or at least what flag was on it, this might lead to some type of official number that can help with the search.

Be prepared to spend sometime sitting in front of your internet connected device chasing dead leads though.
  7. NYCAP123

NYCAP123 Senior Member

Is the boat you're looking for a "Stevens" or a" Stephens"? If the latter you might be able to find help with your search here (from Wikipedia):
    "Today, Stephens Bros. boats are highly prized as collectors’ items. Stephens Bros. boat owners meet every year at the Stephens Rendezvous, organized by the Northern California Fleet of the Classic Yacht Association, to show off these beautiful vessels.
    A collection of Stephens Bros. documents, photographs and original drawings are available to the public in the archives of The Haggin Museum in the brothers’ hometown of Stockton, California. The museum displays a fully restored 1927 26-foot runabout to commemorate the company and its legacy."
  8. SeaEric

SeaEric YF Historian

Not so simple. There is no listing of this yacht under either name in Lloyds. I checked both 1972 edition and 1976 under current and former names.