Click for Cross Click for Furuno Click for Glendinning Click for Comfort Click for JetForums

Raymarine Chartplotter Problems

Discussion in 'Electronics' started by Al3333, Jul 1, 2004.

You need to be registered and signed in to view this content.
  1. Al3333

Al3333 New Member

Purchased a new 46' Azimut, with Raymarine R82 Radar/chart plotter/ with 10" screens. Since I picked the boat up in May I keep getting a "no fix" alarm on the chart plotter. It remains on from a couple of seconds to all day. It is loosing the signal. They have replaced the gps antennas, and checked all the wiring. I am almost to the point of taking everything out and putting in a new system. I can't find anyone to come and repair. Any suggestions?

AL
  2. John B

John B Senior Member

Al,

Nice to see another Azimut owner!

Not sure who you bought your boat from but they DEFINITELY should be resolving your issues with whoever they have responsible for electronics. If they have been trying unsuccessfully to fix, they should just replace the unit itself (or the wiring?).

If need be you should go direct to Azimut and make some noise that you need help ASAP.

The other alternative is to call Raymarine and find your local dealers for the product, but if I were you I'd be pressing the dealer and/or Azimut.

If you're really stuck, PM me and I can give you the name of the company that does the electronics on my boat. They are super busy and not local to you, but perhaps they can help. They work on boats all over the east coast and do good work, but I've learned you can't always get them to do something right away. I don't have Raymarine on board, but they probably handle it as well.

PS - post some pics of your boat!

John
  3. brianwill

brianwill New Member

My neighbor had fits with his Raytheon electronics and finally contacted the company HQ to complain. They sent a repair technician to his boat and he brought every piece of equipment he had on board. This installation was a mess--the compass was installed upside down, the wrong size elecrical wiring was used, and to top it off, someone drilled thru a wire bundle installing a 12V outlet. This guy got everything fixed, and he didn't replace a single piece of equipment.

How are you doing getting your issues resolved?
  4. Al3333

Al3333 New Member

Chartplotter

Brian,
    I called Raymarine and complained, they sent someone to the boat within a week, installed a "different type" antenna, and I had my first enjoyable weekend in my boat since I bought it in April. It worked perfectly and for the first time I did not get the lost fix alarm buzzing all day.
    I do not think it was an installation problem, but a problem with the antenna.
    Everyone was helpful and tried, this is the fourth antenna installed and it is a different type than the other three.

AL
  5. brianwill

brianwill New Member

Al,

Great news. It's good to hear about successful solutions to these complex problems. Was it the GPS antenna that faulted?
  6. Al3333

Al3333 New Member

Brian,

It was the antenna, but they had to put on a different type?? The antenna for the system would not work.
    AL
  7. l_chang

l_chang New Member

AL

My Raymarine with a similar setup also had occasional NO FIX problems. I think it is the antenna because when I reboot the Raymarine, it didn't go away. However, when I rebooted the electronics, which basically reinitialized my antenna, the NO FIX problem went away.

Larry
  8. SAA

SAA New Member

NO FIX problem too...

Fantastic site! I'm new here and noticed your post. Can you tell me exactly what antenna you finally ended up with? Same thing happend to me several times and it's frustrating to say the least because it's a brand new system. Thanks ~
    Last edited: Oct 6, 2004
  9. Al3333

Al3333 New Member

Raymarine Chartplotter

After changing the antenna twice, and then moving a third one to a different location and still having the problem, I called Raymarine directly. They came to the boat in just a few days. When I met them there and started to explain my problem, they stopped me and said that they know what the problem is and have a new antenna for me. They said it was a different type???? Since then it has worked perfectly. The dealer I purchased boat from said he has never had a problem like this, but Raymarine knew about it.

Good Luck,
    AL
  10. SAA

SAA New Member

NO FIX...

Thanks so much AL! I'm going to try contacting the dealer and see if they'll step up. I have a 48" - which one did you have?
    SAA
  11. l_chang

l_chang New Member

NO FIX problem with Raymarine

I also have a 48" antenna. Fortunately, the NO FIX problem doesn't happen to me very often and I haven't had to reboot the antenna electronics all summer now. I haven't had to change the antenna either. Hopefully whatever it was has disappeared and I hope never to return!