Click for Northern Lights Click for YF Listing Service Click for Nordhavn Click for Westport Click for YF Listing Service

Rant warning.... Some brokers are worst than ------!

Discussion in 'YachtForums Yacht Club' started by Pascal, Jun 24, 2016.

1. Pascal

Pascal Senior Member

For various reasons reasons I ve been spending quite a bit of time searching and researching on yacht world... I've always thought that too many yacht brokers were pretty much on the same level a used car salesmen but sadly I think it's getting worst.

I'm coming across dozens of inaccurate listing (which in a clintonesque way means plain lies) as well as dozens that are simply incomplete, so bad it s just laziness. Like... "Hey buddy wanna fly cross country to look at this $2M boat I got but I m just too lazy to say how many hours those motors have on them". Seriously ?

Or listing a four stateroom boat as five staterrom because some creative jerk stuffed a berth in the anchor locker...

Again, not talking 25' run about here but boats ranging from $600k to $4M

And if the broker is to ckufing stoopid to figure out how to upload a decent pic, would you trust him holding $200k deposit?
  2. olderboater

olderboater Senior Member

Some of all professions are worse than.....

Some are better than....
  3. Capt Ralph

Capt Ralph Senior Member

My friend. Finally a familiar thought from a veteran.
    I was concerned I have been preaching to brick walls. Finally, a similar thought.
    Thankfully, I don't feel alone any more on this subject.

Drop out used car sales persons are our new yacht brokers.
  4. bliss

bliss Senior Member

Now you've got me started!! I've bought and sold boats with and without brokers involved.

The following ramble is from the buyer's perspective. I am amazed at the poor presentations and lack of info forthcoming. Especially after I try to make it clear that I am finicky, not a "tire kicker" and believe there is no such thing as TMI. I make my offers on my paper NOT THEIR'S and in the future will place any sincere money in some sort of escrow. After my experience with a broker's general business account and his legal problems at the bank -- NEVER AGAIN!
    I think some brokers' ethics are a bit self serving. I'll give you an example. But first I assume someone who wants to sell a boat and contracts with a broker wants the help that is unique in that relationship. Maybe privacy or maybe just avoiding the nuisance of dealing with nut jobs, other time wasters, and low ballers. One thing that seems to be an unwritten rule is that the prospective buyer should not make any substantive contact directly with the seller. I can see where that makes good sense in many but not all circumstances. Let me give you an example from my experience.

The Players: a couple 90 miles north of me are selling a 47' aft cabin

an elderly widow 75 miles south of me that is selling the same model boat one that is one year newer without a couple of desired features found on the other one.

me and my wife THE SOCIAL BUTTERFLY.

the widow/seller's broker.

Both boats are serious contenders. I do a documented vessel search that results in the usual info but with one very interesting item; the widow lives just two blocks away and my wife knows her pretty well. We (wife and me) agree there is nothing to be gained by evidencing our interest in her boat. A few days pass and my interest has been narrowed to the above two boats. So the widow's broker and I get together to do some paper work and I give him a check for five figure money. Nothing unusual EXCEPT I require an update within 5 days and the offer is good for six or so I remember. It has been a few years. Time passes. No contact. I AM BOATLESS. IT IS SPRING. Maybe I should call the broker - no no must not look too interested. More time. About day ten I call the broker HE IS OUT OF TOWN and does not return my call after an add'l two days. THAT'S IT! All bets are off. I'm going to call the seller/widow direct. The social butterfly, you remember, my wife, says I should calm down and take a pill. I relax. I call. I am Mr. Nice. She has heard nothing from her broker in weeks. I tell her nothing of my offer but suggest she give him a call. She does. NO TIME PASSES AND MY PHONE RINGS! ***WOW!!!*** I don't ever recall being called those things, ever. The good news was a check went out to me that day. Within a couple of weeks I owned the other seller's boat. All's well that ends well.

Did I break any rules? Did I push the envelope? Why oh why did the broker sit on my offer and why did he call me all those bad names?
    In the interest in full disclosure it has been a while so I may have some of the times off a bit. Also, Some time back I believe I posted this story.
    Last edited: Jun 25, 2016
  5. Pascal

Pascal Senior Member

Just saw the same Viking princess 68 listed by two different brokers at two very different prices ($200k difference) ... And th same with two 68 predators. Same boats, different brokers, completely different prices.

Amazing...
  6. olderboater

Two notes...find a buyer's broker you trust so you're not at the mercy of the seller's broker. Also, note that there are only two states that license brokers, Florida and California.
  7. Pascal

Pascal Senior Member

Bliss

This is why I always insist on using a buyers brokers as he is the one holding the funds in escrow. And because he works for you, you can reasonably expect that he will look after y interests. I believe Florida is one of th few states where brokers have to maintain separate escrow accounts for deposits.

But it comes down to lack of professionalism... And yes, larger boat listing can be complex and it may not always be possible for th broker to check every details but when a broker list a 70 footer with twin 600hp and a top speed of 30 kts... Either he doesn't care or he has never been on a boat in his life. And again, not talking small single broker home office operators but well known, multiple brokers, multiple lavish offices operations.
  8. olderboater

There are two approaches to large multi-location brokerages.

The first approach is to have a group of professional brokers in multiple locations ready to provide excellent service. You have trained and experienced brokers.

However, the more common approach is to have as many brokers as possible, not really caring that some of them won't be making money. Just live with volume. Treat brokers as fungible. One leaves, you just replace them with another and you're no worse or better off. These brokerages don't do a lot of training. They just believe bigger is better.

I would never choose a "brokerage", always a "broker." If that quality broker happens to work for a larger brokerage, that's fine, but, if not, that's also fine.
  9. Capt J

Capt J Senior Member

I see that a lot. Owner first lists his boat way above market price with broker #1. 6 months go by and he switches brokers and the new broker talks him into lowering the price. Broker #1 forgot to remove the old listing from Yachtworld.