Click for Delta Click for YF Listing Service Click for Westport Click for YF Listing Service Click for Cross

Ranco Electronic Temp Control in boat

Discussion in 'Cabo Yacht' started by CSkipR, Nov 11, 2012.

You need to be registered and signed in to view this content.
  1. CSkipR

CSkipR Member

Today I was in the lazarette and noticed the above item mounted on the inside of the transom. No idea what its purpose is or why it would be located there. Can someone explain or help me understand what it would be doing in this area?
    Thanks
  2. Capt J

Capt J Senior Member

It's the module for your cockpit freezer or fishbox freezer plate and is what you use to adjust the temperature in the unit.
  3. CSkipR

CSkipR Member

Learn something everyday. I do have a cockpit freezer and also an Eskimo icemaker in the fishbox. Would you say it probably controls the the cockpit freezer?
  4. Capt J

Capt J Senior Member

Yes, as I don't believe the eskimo ice makers have a temperature adjustment. Usually Cabo mounted it on them on the rear engine room bulkhead. It has a small digital display and an up and down arrow/button?
  5. Ozzie

Ozzie Member

I have seen where the temp sensor is mounted in the fishbox so as to control the amount of ice in the box. As long as the bulb was covered in ice the Eskimo unit would not run.
    Your post seems to indicate a photo that is not there... but the controller should be closest to what it is managing.
  6. CSkipR

CSkipR Member

Thats it. Thanks
  7. Capt J

Capt J Senior Member

If you decide to turn up the temperature to use the unit as a refrigerator instead of a freezer, put something with holes in it in the bottom of the freezer box.....like those rubber mats for boat decks that lock together from west marine, because whatever is touching the bottom will still freeze.

Yes on the eskimo ice maker, the little sensor in the fishbox just detects ice on it and shuts the unit off.......
  8. Bill106

Bill106 Senior Member

The newer Eskimo's don't use a Ranco but the older ones did. They used a thermocouple to measure temp and when ice reached it and chilled it would shut the auger off. Newer ones use an optical sensor to detect ice level and wired it to the Eskimo's control board.