Click for Nordhavn Click for Perko Click for Delta Click for Westport Click for Nordhavn

Railroad bridge closing, FEC Ft. Lauderdale

Discussion in 'General Yachting Discussion' started by FL-NATIVE, Jan 31, 2017.

You need to be registered and signed in to view this content.
  1. FL-NATIVE

FL-NATIVE Member

There is confusion as to exactly when the FEC railroad bridge will lock down for repair work. Will it be midnight Feb 10 or 11? Does anyone know for sure?
  2. olderboater

olderboater Senior Member

My understanding is 12:01 AM on the 11th through 12:01 AM on the 23rd.

As an update too:

On Friday a judge ruled against those businesses wanting to delay the closure.

From ABC 10: The judge ruled that although marine traffic will be impacted by the closure, causing a potential loss of revenue for businesses, the public "would not be best served by large-scale disruptions in freight deliveries to South Florida, nor would the interests of the public be best served by a delay in the implementation" of Brightline.

He ruled that the bridge's closure is less harmful to the public at large than it is to the plaintiffs suing to stop the closure.
    Well, of course. It's not harmful to someone who doesn't use the waterway. Of course Brightline isn't going to be helpful to most people either. I feel for all the marine businesses.

The suit seeking a delay was filed by Rolly, Cable, Roscioli and others.
  3. Capt Ralph

Capt Ralph Senior Member

I just went thru that bridge today. It looks near new.
    Whiskey Tango Foxtrot???
  4. FL-NATIVE

FL-NATIVE Member

Thanks older boater. Love your analogy!
  5. Norseman

Norseman Senior Member

Wrong bridge. The railroad bridge on the new river is old and rusty and looks like it was built in the 1800th century.
    (unless they painted it pink in the last few days, but doubt it.)

[​IMG]
  6. Capt Ralph

Capt Ralph Senior Member

I noticed the plates were still straight, the welds intact and the under cribbing still looked well.
    Compared to the FEC downtown JAX that was just rebuilt a couple of years ago is still having problems and blocks the whole StJohns river traffic for days, weeks and is locked down again for another TWO weeks this month, Yours looks great.
    FEC St J rr.jpg

Next to us and the Huckins yard is the CSX rail over the Ortega river also in JAX. This bridge scares me big time. CSX jacks up the north end and beats wood shims in to keep it level.
    The metal cribbing is rusted out and light shining thru.
    O rr bridge.jpg
  7. Capt Ralph

Capt Ralph Senior Member

FEC history picture. Unknown location. They do know about bad bridges.
    old fec pic.jpg
  8. Norseman

Norseman Senior Member

Then you looked closer than I ever have. I hate that thing, sometimes it breaks down for 2 hours, a couple of times when I had to hover in the current with single screw sailboats.
    Now the train people have increased the "down time" with more trains and an All aboard Florida program which will shut down the river most of the day.
    Wish they could dig a f.... tunnel like other civilized countries do to get their trains away from blocking city streets and water ways, but not theses guys.
    More trains instead.:mad:

I thought you meant another bridge Mr. rcrapps: A brand new rail bridge over the New River opened last year, parallel to I-95.
  9. Capt Ralph

Capt Ralph Senior Member

I noticed that one also and the old rail bridge span (alone) ready for dismantling.
    You and other certain friends here call me Ralph.
  10. Norseman

Norseman Senior Member

I know, just tried to show a little class round here by being polite and formal. You called my bluff :D
  11. Capt J

Capt J Senior Member

NO, the bridge tender just saw YOU coming :D:eek: hehehehe
  12. Norseman

Norseman Senior Member

Nah, they see nothing. Remote operation, heard it is operated from Jacksonville, not sure.
    The bridge and the trains should be sent back to the maker. Build subways and drill tunnels.
    Dear Santa..
  13. Capt Ralph

Capt Ralph Senior Member

SFBs run the rail bridges up here. CSX is home in Jax, Not sure where FEC is run from,, maybe outer Mongolia..
  14. Capt Ralph

Capt Ralph Senior Member