Click for JetForums Click for Westport Click for Glendinning Click for Westport Click for Walker

Question....leaving boat on a mooring buoy

Discussion in 'General Yachting Discussion' started by hopper5, Oct 2, 2012.

You need to be registered and signed in to view this content.
  1. hopper5

hopper5 Guest

I have been leaving my 34' Tolly on a mooring buoy in front of my home during the summer for the past 12 years with no problems......I turn the battery switches off and secure some items. I recently purchased a 44' Carver and want to do the same. Can I do the same or will I have issues with any electrical or other systems?? There are separate ship batteries (4 6volt in series) and engine batteries (2 8 D's). There is a diesel furnace and separate generator battery. I am hoping to do the same because we certainly use the boat more when it is near our home.......great Puget Sound cruising !! Thanks for any suggestions...........
  2. Beau

Beau Senior Member

You've moored for 12 years already so you are aware of those issues. I had a 38 in the front of my place on a mooring for years. I tried to run the genny a couple of hours on the weekend if I wasn't using the boat. I also kept an emergency set of jumper cables aboard in case my gen battery died, then I would just jump off an engine battery to get it started and recharged. Enjoy your new boat
  3. Pascal

Pascal Senior Member

The key is to make sure that you know how the bilge pumps are powered.. Which bank, are the float switch always on even when the batt switches are off, etc
  4. MBevins

MBevins Senior Member

The only concern I would have is the weight of your ground tackle. Is it large enough to accommodate the new boat? As stated you've been doing this for years so you obviously know the issues.
  5. RT46

RT46 Senior Member

i would consider a wireless or cellular bilge alarm that would alert you in the event of high water.

Also you could consider an automatic generator switch that you can set to go off if the house battery drops below a certian voltage in the event the bilge pump drains the battery....