Click for Cross Click for Nordhavn Click for Glendinning Click for Delta Click for Westport

Question about ship launches

Discussion in 'Technical Discussion' started by Blue Ghost, Feb 24, 2016.

You need to be registered and signed in to view this content.
  1. Blue Ghost

Blue Ghost Member

The Regina systen in the Spinward Marches
    Okay, so cruising YouTube I see a lot of ships launched from slips into water "the old fashioned way", on rails or rollers, and they make a big wake or splash or both.

I'm just curious why boats are build like that instead of in dry docks, where once construction is done, you simply flood the dock and float her out.

Is there some kind of safety issue with workers in dry docks? Fear of flooding or something?

Thanks much for any response.
  2. K1W1

K1W1 Senior Member

an above ground launching system is cheaper to build.
  3. Blue Ghost

Blue Ghost Member

The Regina systen in the Spinward Marches
    Interesting. Thanks.
  4. Marmot

Marmot Senior Member

Over the past 40 years or so most new shipbuilding yards have gone to graving docks for building and "float out" as it allows the ship to be built on a level surface and doesn't risk damage to the ship or other nearby facilities during launch. The ease of construction and access saves a fortune compared to side launch or the traditional sloping greased ways.

In Japan and Korea, several yards have graving docks large enough to assemble more than one ship at a time, insert a cofferdam between them and launch the ship closest to the gate. They assemble them from "blocks" built at other places in the yard and welded together in the dock. Most cruise ships are built this way, in a dock, under cover in controlled conditions.

The old style sliding down the ways is going the way of wooden boats.
  5. chesapeake46

chesapeake46 Senior Member

6. Rodger

Rodger Senior Member

Launching 730 ' M/V Patterson in Collingwood Ontario Canada
  7. Marmot

Marmot Senior Member

Launch.jpg Float out launches also reduce spectator participation. This is the launch of a ship in La Ciotat. There is a great video of the event someplace, I saw it in the shipyard museum but cannot find it online ... it is an amazing few moments of suspense and hilarity.

This is from the Musee Ciotaden
    Last edited: Feb 25, 2016