Click for Abeking Click for Mulder Click for Northern Lights Click for Walker Click for Ocean Alexander

QL Trim Tab Issues

Discussion in 'Marquis Yacht' started by Scott M, Apr 25, 2016.

1. Scott M

Scott M Member

I have a 2008 Marquis 59 with QL (now Volvo Penta) Trim Tabs. Leaky actuators seem to be a regular occurance and with no repair kits available and no support from Volvo Penta, what are people doing? Replace? ughhh.
  2. Capt J

Capt J Senior Member

I haven't had issues with them, and like them. However, I haven't had any long term experience with them, mostly deliveries of new or pretty new boats. Try a local hydraulic place that does rams. I'd imagine it's a pretty generic seal that keeps leaking on you. Also always leave them in the fully UP position so growth doesn't get on the shaft and cut the seal.
  3. Bill106

Bill106 Senior Member

No shafts on the QL's but I've seen a lot of failures due to them being mounted on an uneven transom surface. They're VERY particular and need a completely flat true surface or the plastic housing will distort and start leaking. I've also seen a few instances where the cable gland was cracked and letting water in the back side. Take a straight edge where they're mounted and if it isn't perfectly flat a little fairing is in order. Also don't get overzealous torqueing the mounting screws.
  4. Fishtigua

Fishtigua Senior Member

As Bill says, it must be completely flat or they will not work. They retract automatically when not in use, so no worries there.

An alternative are these more robust ones.

http://www.humphree.com/products/interceptor-trim-tab
    Last edited: Apr 26, 2016
  5. Scott M

Scott M Member

These are not "Interceptor" types...they traditional trim tabs. The good news is that I found replacement parts. Hopefully, this helps the next person and they find this post. The replacement cylinders are around $165 ea.

GECEA - Located in Sweden
    http://www.gecea.com/
  6. Mike Thurman

Mike Thurman New Member

I have a 2004 59' Marquis with the same trim tabs. I replaced all of the actuators and pump ordered from Gecea. Problem is they suck in sea water when retracted fully. I contacted Gecea and they claim that is normal, but my old actuators never sucked sea water. I wish I had replaced these with an American made product
  7. Scott M

Scott M Member

They suck in sea water...wouldn't both the pumps and rams fail relatively soon with the salt water intrusion?
    How did you know? Sea water in the reservoir?
    What is your plan? Replace the whole system?
  8. Mike Thurman

Mike Thurman New Member

I replaced the entire system and it works well on the down stroke however if you run the trim tabs up all the way and hold them running they will create a vacuum that sucks the water in around the O-rings of the joint. I emailed the manufacturer about the problem and they say that is normal. That I must watch my gauge to know when to stop the trim tabs. Yes the salt water will definitely damage the pump if I don't keep an eye out on it. For now I will just be careful with the system but definitely will need to replace it in the future. The weird part is that my old Pistons did not suck see water in. I believe they have started using a smaller O-ring on the new pistons and that is the problem. I mentioned that to the manufacture but they claim that the design has not changed
  9. Mike Thurman

Mike Thurman New Member

And to make things worse now my QL stern thruster has shared a shaft so I guess I'll be replacing that with the side power stern thruster the next time I haul out
  10. Fishtigua

Fishtigua Senior Member

Yep, Side Power all the way. Great product.

As to the trim tabs, we have started to fit LectroTabs. American made with a lifetime guarantee on the rams.

http://www.lectrotab.com/
  11. Capt J

Capt J Senior Member

Lenco's do not last on boats that sit in saltwater all of the time. They get eaten alive in a few years. They're good on center consoles that sit on a lift.
  12. Fishtigua

Fishtigua Senior Member

Too true J, that's why we switched to Lectro.
  13. Mike Thurman

Mike Thurman New Member

Are the Lectro tabs an easy swap( do the use the same hole pattern) or do you have to drill new holes in the hull and fill old ones?
  14. Fishtigua

Fishtigua Senior Member

Lectro have been designed to be a straight swap for Bennetts, which if I remember correctly, are the same as QL ones.