Click for Abeking Click for Mulder Click for YF Listing Service Click for Abeking Click for Mag Bay

Problem with Wine Fridges

Discussion in 'Technical Discussion' started by Globetrotter76, Apr 3, 2006.

You need to be registered and signed in to view this content.
  1. Globetrotter76

Globetrotter76 New Member

Hi Forum Users,

Having problems with our wine fridges not cooling down to correct tempratures. We have had a technician in and he has topped up with refrigerant and installed sight glass. However our temps are still around 19 to 20 degrees celcius for the red and white wine fridge.

The compressors and condensors are situated in bow thruster locker and there is alot of heat present there and compressors are working full time to try keep the fridges cold even though they are not as cold as they should be. We have installed an extract fan in the bow thruster locker to try remove all the hot air given off from the condensors.

The fridge company is frigomar an italian company so not having much luck with them at the moment etc.....

The refrigerant is r-12 the soon to be outlawed refrigerant.

What should i be looking for to start troubleshooting this problem
  2. wdrzal

wdrzal Senior Member

are they liquid cooled condensors or air cooled??? how old are the units?????

do you know if its a capillary tube system or uses a expansion valve?

can you post any pics ? I know you come for advice but without knowing what type of equiptment you have and a general idea of the installation I would be guessing.

Here's some possibilities: ambiant air temperature is to hot and refrigerant is not condensing; system is over charged;system is undercharged;controls are set wrong.Plus about a dozen others.

I can tell you that since wine fridges have little "load" most of the heat in the locker is comming from something called "the heat of compression" this is from the compressors running countinusly. The answer to your problem if figuring out why they are.
    Last edited: Apr 3, 2006
  3. TSI AV

TSI AV Senior Member

Hi,

To help You, please provide follow info:

1. Is it a unit, where components are situated separately?
    Cooling chamber in one place, compressor in another place, condensor (air cooled ?) in bow thruster room ? or not ?

2. Is there a receiver (collector) after condensor ?

3. Try on compressor: suction pipe has to be handwarm, delivery has to be hot.

4. Is it a system with TEV or capillar tube ?

5. Are there any manometers installed (or possibility to install) ?

6. Is it really R-12 ? Not R-22 ?

7. How old are compressors ? (Last overhaul, if any)

8. How big is a unit (cooling chamber in ltr) ?

Brgds,

Andrei
  4. soso

soso New Member

C/e

first clean and check freon heat exchanger(air ,sea water)
    second check freon exp.valve, chek compressor running pressures
    check air into system
    put all freon into reciever than see how much you have in system
    if are freon temp more than 40 degress it is not liquid
    check what are conditions of freon filter and humidity absorber.
  5. Globetrotter76

6. wdrzal

wdrzal Senior Member

Ok , now I know your the ships engineer I can ask some pointed questions, First Is this a new installtion? if not can I assume it worked correctly in the past? Are all 3 coolers acting the same?

next We need at leat 6 temperatures readings to start. Using what ever type thermometer you have. accurate readings are important. so get a cup 80% crushed ice 20% water and make a ice bath. Your thermometer should read Oc . check it.

1: temperature of ambiant air where condensors are
    2:temperature of air exhausted from condensor (you should take severial reading from edge to middle ,add togeather and average.)
    3: temperature of liquid line, measured a few inches after it leaves the bottom of condensor.(clamp probe tightly to get correct reading.)
    4: measure the temperature on top of the dome of compressor.
    5: measure the suction line temp 6 to 12 inches from compressor under insulation.
    6: measure temperature on the suction line as close to the EXIT of evaporator as you can get, probaby under or behind unit.

give me a rough estimate of distance between coolers and condensing unit.

If you have a manifold set (manometers) it would be great to have a high side and low side pressure reading so we can calculate sub-cooling and superheat. if not just get the temp readings for now. (The pressure readings may be necessary in the future)

Since I'm not there this will give me a thermodynamic picture of whats going on, the more complete the picture the easier the problem will be to solve.

Knowing the compressors FLA(full load amps) sometimes listed as RLA (running load amps) whould be helpful along with actual amp draw measurements of the compressors.

If all 3 units are acting similiar just take readings of 1 unit for now.

post as much info as you can gather here and I will analyze it.
    Do you use MSN instant messanger?
    A bunch of us guys super cool computer processors to -120c to overclock so I'm used to trouble shooting over the net. So getting a few wine bottle to +5c shouldn't be that hard;) I do own a hvac business also. Walt

one more thing if they worked before having r-12 means the compressors have mineral oil in as a lubericant. If some tried to add certian other gases like 134a and others it would turn the oil to a ball of purple snot and clog the system. so give as much detail as history as you can.
  7. TSI AV

TSI AV Senior Member

Hi again,

Now You have many questions to be answered...
    All questions are correct. "We" will wait for Your info.

Just 3 short stories:

1. Once I was troubleshooting similar situation. It occured after "complete checking / overhauling", as they said.
    Solution was: somebody mixed up fan's connections and condensor's fan was turning in wrong direction.
    Just for fun, check the air flow direction.

2. Another case. Compressor's el. motor had 1 burned phase, but therm. overload did not trip.
    As a result, turning speed was too low.

3. Recently I simply had to increase angle of blades of condensor's fan by "brutal" bending. But this action must be done very carefully and considered as "911" :)
    It helped. I had no choice....

If there any fans in cooling chambers ?
    Check that as well.

Brgds,

Andrei
  8. Globetrotter76

Yes so many questions, I appreciate all the input, i have not had any time to look further into this as we are on dry dock and there is so much happening, things of higher priority keep taking the front seat for the present moment the fridges have been put on the backburner, i see all ur comments and will keep them in mind when I get to them again.
  9. wdrzal

wdrzal Senior Member

While taking all the temperature readings would take some time,you never even answered questions that should be aparent to you. Like :Are these coolers or condensors a new install????? or have they ever worked correctly????

The only information you provided is they are running at 20 degrees and you want 5 .And the room where the condensors are is hot. and a few pictures on the other site.

The only thing I can say, while there is nothing in the picture for size reference, those condensors look way to large for wine fridges, I wonder what hp compresor is on the other side?

If the worked before, I can see you putting off this problem,since I'm sure "we" can get it to work again.

If someone just installed the condensors units or fridges you need to address this before you motor away and get stuck with a botched job.

Sorry "we" couldn't provide a easy answer.:rolleyes:

The Laws of Thermodynamics say:

Zeroth Law: "You must play the game."
    First Law: "You can't win."
    Second Law: "You can't break even."
    Third Law: "You can't quit the game."

Do you wanna Play Thermodynamics :) ???????? I forgot "you must" :D
  10. Globetrotter76

Okay here I go to ur questions, started looking into the fridge thing again, took temps etc but forgot at boat willl post detailed info shortly, will try get to all ur questions as i would like to solve this....

Okay Wdrzal

Air cooled condensor
    Not sure as boat was built in 1987 or thereabouts, so alot of history has been lost coz many owners etc.
    Not sure if Capillary Tube ot Expansion Valve, I know about expansion valve system but not about Capillary Tube, do u have links for me to learn about this??

I Have now discounted that the air temp in locker as a factor as there is one fridge plant that runs another fridge that is working in same conditions.

I will be updating with all my temp readings, some very unusual findins which u will understand once I post this 2 morrow or day after.

11. Globetrotter76

1. The compressors and Condensors are situated about 4 meters away from fridge where evaporator is in crew mess. The comp and condensor are situated in bow thruster locker.

2. Not sure what u mean in this question, however there is a sightglass and wet/dry after the condensor.

3. will post all temp readings when i get them from vessel 2 morrow

4. Not sure....Need to learn about cappilar tube?

5. Do not think so

6. One fridge has R-12 AND others have R22. All three fridges have problems??

7 & 8 not sure yet??

12. wdrzal

wdrzal Senior Member

just because one unit works in the heat of the locker means nothing, different gases condense at different vapor pressures & temperatures.If one unit is under charged you may not have the pressure to condense the gas. could be anything from bad or wrongly set valves unless its a cap tube system to worn compressors. can you post a few pics of the compressors so I can get a idea of type.. it may be just under or over charged.

all those temps are important to get a thermodynamic picture.
  13. Globetrotter76

OKay I will update 2 morow with actual temps, a few obsservations I did make between the compressor of a fridge that is working and one which is not in the same space(bow thruster locker) is that the compressor of fridge that works is hot to touch, the one that does not work is cool to the touch and has precipertation forming on it. More to add.....
  14. Globetrotter76

I will take more pics of the comps and condensors 2 morrow as i traced all pipe work and there are a few things I find strange, here is a photo of sketch i did, it might not accurate but there seems to be funny thing hooked to electric of compressor. Not best sketch bu maybe pics will do it better justice.

Attached Files:

15. wdrzal

wdrzal Senior Member

compressor top usually is around 70c. a cool compressor usually means one of a few things, no gas or very little to compress, no compression, or overcharged system returning to much refrigerant. the last is probably not the case since this would make the cooler very cold.

readings of the presures are going to be important. especially the low side or suction pressure. If your going to work on these you will need a manifold set and hoses.

inside the fridges there should be a finned evap and a small fan, can you confirm the fan inside the fridge is running.

As far as capillary tube vs valves its just different ways to meter the refrigerant.Capillary tube is thin copper tube usually.028 to .070 id by 5 to 12 feet long,usually wound in a coil. This meter by restriction with no moving parts.

Expansion valves come in severial types ,TEV thermal expansion valve, they work by maintaining a set superheat. or PEV pressure expansion valve, they work by maintaing a set pressure. There are many variations of each type.These work by openig and closing a orfice.
  16. wdrzal

wdrzal Senior Member

pictures would be a big help. get some of the individual parts but get some back far enough to get a overall look.

are all 3 set up the same?
  17. Globetrotter76

1. Laser thermo gun was used so could not get this temp but only had one unit running instead of two so was not very warm.

2. Compressor dome Temp was 19.5 degrees C

3. Temp of line leading out of compressor was 35 degrees C

4. Entrance to Condensor was 39 degrees C

5. Exit of Condensor was 39 degrees C

A few strange observations were that they comp was cool to the touch and had some percipitation it is also running continously. It also had thirb pipe which was insulated and entered the backside of compressor, I touched this and it was cold to the touch felt like very cold could not get temp.

I took reading of the only fridge unit that is working in this locker and they were as follows...

1. Compressor dome measured 80 degrees C

2. Inlet from Evap to Comp was 47 degrees C

3. Outlet temp from Comp which is inlet temp to condensor 68 degrees C

4. Outlet temp of condensor is 40 degrees C

The comp of this working fridge switches on and off at various intervals and its thermodynamic pi seems consistent with refrigeration cycle to me.

The non working fridge is also different and I will post pics later tonight
  18. wdrzal

wdrzal Senior Member

I wait till I see some pics, have to figure out what 3rd line is

You probably used a infrared temperature gun with a laser pointer.

A infrared thermmometer is not great for temp measurment. fist they usually measure measure at a minimium 1 inch round diameter spot,if a 3/8 line runs thru it it also averges in the air around the spot. second the emisitivity settings,fixed thermometers are set for the color black or 95,variable are better if you get it set accuratly.Shinny objects especially bright copper and galvanised metal or alluminium are horribly inaccurate.dull are not as bad , the best thing to do is to place black tape on reflective surface or paint it black.

Do you have a manifold set to take pressure readings???

my first impression of the first unit is there is no compression this could be from no refrigerant in the system,or broken compressor(usually valves ) we will need high and low side pressure readings.

you did mention sight glasses were installed, can you see anything? look close a full sight glass looks like a empty one. but with no heat means no compression that equals no condensation so I bet empty.
  19. Globetrotter76

Okay here are the pics with some notes and observations....

Attached Files:

20. wdrzal

wdrzal Senior Member

I can't make heads or tails from those pics. This is going to be harder than I thought. figures it would be a simple loop.

But the large tube with the insulation is the suction,the one thats cold, thats your low side or blue hose on a refrigeration manifold.we need the suction pressure,there should be a connection on this insulated hose,may be right were it hooks to the compressor. what refrigerent does this unit have in it.

and we need a high side pressure.around the blue filter some where they should be a high side port on a uninsulated line. I didn't see any ports in the pictures but the fridge tech was probably hooked to them.

I,m not sure from those pics what that extra line is, it could be a defrost loop. fridges usually don't need them . could be a externally equilized tvx but the line looked big for that.