Click for Furuno Click for Westport Click for Northern Lights Click for Abeking Click for Walker

problem with starter motor(s) on new Cruisers 3400

Discussion in 'Technical Discussion' started by new boater, Sep 5, 2005.

You need to be registered and signed in to view this content.
  1. new boater

new boater New Member

I have just had 2 seperate incidents where my starter motors had to be replaced during my trips, because the solenoid did not retract the starter gear and it burnt out!! This was on my brand new 2006 crusiers yachts 3400 model

anyone have similary incidents or info?
  2. AMG

AMG YF Moderator

Hi and welcome to the YachtForums!

If you expect any advice to your specific problems, I suggest you tell us what engines you have? In general this is something that can happen to a new engine where things might not be aligned properly. Or it is a subcontractor of parts that delivered a bad series. Hopefully your mechanics have found out the source of the problem?
  3. Northern Lights

Northern Lights New Member

low volt

Sounds like a low voltage start
  4. eddie230879

eddie230879 New Member

burnt out starter pain in arse

Yeah mate know exactlay the problem, had a couple of ribtec tenders on last boat with yanmar 146bhp diesils, and had the same problem after taking it of found the actual relise mechanisim for the starter gear to be siezed on the sproket, after looking around found that the flywheel was directly open the the bilge and when the bilge water was splashing around it was going directly on to the starter mechanism, so after getting a brand new starter and replacing it, we had a splash plate made up to go round the shaft, not a problem since, what it sound like with you is the starter gear could be well dirty and just nead greasing, but definatly check for rust or corosion round it