Click for YF Listing Service Click for Abeking Click for Burger Click for Westport Click for Northern Lights

Princess vs ferretti vs fairlane

Discussion in 'General Yachting Discussion' started by baziado, Sep 27, 2016.

You need to be registered and signed in to view this content.
  1. baziado

baziado New Member

I have sees some older threads but a lot has changed since then. I am looking at the 65 fairlane, 650 ferretti and just announced 62 princess.

Would welcome opinions on build quality, ride and any other info that would help with the decision.

Thanks in advance
  2. Liam

Liam Senior Member

Ferretti would top that list. Fairline second.
    Without taking anything away from Princess, the new 62 is a smaller boat to the above and an evolution of the current 60.
  3. olderboater

olderboater Senior Member

I'd put them in the same order as Liam. But then you have to look at the specific boats too. You can't compare a 62'/60' to a 65' fairly. Also, you need to look at specific features and how they apply to you. One thing I like about the 65' Fairline Squadron is the length of the flybridge. It also has more sleeping accommodations. You have to evaluate your needs but I'd select as Liam said Ferretti over Fairline in terms of quality and both significantly over Princess.

Two points of curiosity. Why looking at two 65's and one 62', why not similar sizes of all three brands? The Princess 64 is more comparable. Second, why among the British brands did you exclude Sunseeker?
  4. Capt J

Capt J Senior Member

I agree. I would rate Sunseeker above all 3.
  5. baziado

baziado New Member

good questions. On the princess, the 64 is dico'd. there is one for sale here in US new but it doesn't have the wood etc I would want. So now they have a 68 (too big) and the 60 (disc'd). If you look at the 62, the size is basically the same as the 65 ferretti and the fairlane. both the fairlane and the Ferretti are a bit beamier. I think the fairlane and ferretti are about 6 inches more in beam. So despite 62 vs 65 the boat seem to be the same size to me. The bridge on the fairlane is insane. I actually like the bridge on the princess better than ferretti that has these open seats that are not comfortable at all. The princess also has two helm seats and better helm layout than the ferretti. That said, the ferretti master is really a sight to behold. My biggest concern about the Fairlane is service and the fact that here in the US there does not see to be the same distribution as Europe.
    Sunseeker is interesting to me but my issues were twofold. 1) the current 65 is also being disc'd and I couldnt seem to get info on the new 66 replacement. 2) I was not thrilled with the local dealer and had more confidence in the princess and ferretti local folks.
  6. olderboater

You have a lot of questionable facts. The Sunseeker Manhattan 65 is still very much in the line and available. The Princess 64, the same. The 62' Princess seems considerably smaller to me than the 65 Ferretti, Fairlane, and Sunseeker. Less usable space. 3' +6" gives you ultimately 90 sq ft or so x 3 levels = 270 potential sq feet and it shows on both the main deck and the lower deck.

You asked about quality and I stick to what I said earlier. Adding Sunseeker, which I admit to owner prejudice on, I'd rate them.

1. Ferretti and Sunseeker
    2. Fairlane, very close
    3. Princess significantly behind.

If you ever intend to have crew, please look closely at the Princess crew cabin. Also, it's handling with a tender on the swim platform.

What did you mean by the Fairline bridge being insane? I think it's great. Gives you an extra 100 sq ft or so of usable outdoor space. Much more usable bridge for everyone gathering for day cruising.

Have you talked to any Fairlane owners about the service? I don't know many, but the ones I know have been pleased. I'd talk to some if I was you. Certainly they can give references. I'd also make survey part of the process and that may deal with issues before final acceptance of delivery. Then it's a matter of warranty of the various equipment and most of it can be handled by any major shipyard. I see very little difference in service expectations between the four. Honestly, dealer networks can be plus or minus on a boat. If it's a brand that forces you to deal 100% with Marine Max then a big negative. We've purchased from both Ferretti (Riva's) and Sunseeker and, while we do have the advantage of living in South Florida, been happy with both. For service, we haven't returned to either as we get the majority of our service done by one boatyard which can service any equipment and which most quality builders will deal with on boat issues if any come up. We've had none.

Now, seat comfort is very important, but do keep in mind that seats can be changed rather easy and for moderate cost in the whole scheme of things. Layout, ride, performance, quality of workmanship are the things you can't change.

My one concern with Fairlane is that I haven't recently been involved enough to know their financial stability or the reliability of the owners. They were just purchased our of bankruptcy in 2016 for a very small price and I'd want some reassurance. I would probably make a factory visit before purchasing and get a credit report.
  7. baziado

baziado New Member

Not sure what facts are questionable??? I ended up purchasing the princess yesterday. The 64 as I stated is discontinued as is the 60. Those are facts. I am told they still might ship a couple more 60's but the 64 is done except for one on its way in.
    What I meant on the fly of fairlane being insane was it's great and I agree the size and layout is fantastic. What turned me off frankly was as good as the fly is, the salon imho is just the opposite. Too me I like a more open feel like the princess and ferretti. The windows are blocked on the fairlane. Sunseeker you may be right that they are still producing the 65 but the 66 is coming out and it is the replacement so it's end of life.
    The length is actually longer on the princess than the ferretti. The ferretti has a longer loa but that takes into account swim platform and anchor. Also, you are correct on the crew quarters. There as well, imho the princess is better. It has two side by side beds not small bunks like the ferretti and has a proper head w sep shower not a wet head like the other two.

In the end it comes down to personal taste when comparing similar boats and I just felt better on the princess all around. It had the new bow seating many are using, great helm layouts ( I'm an owner operator) and I did love the warmth of the fit and finish. That said the Ferretti was really a close second. It could have gone either way. Now the hard part...waiting over a year for the new one. Ugggg
  8. olderboater

Yes, it does but I'm a bit perplexed as to why you'd ask us the question when you'd basically made up your mind and were going to purchase the next day. Wouldn't have wasted the effort we did analyzing or answering would have just said "I'm sure you'll enjoy your new Princess." You made it sound like you were looking and still trying to decide. I would not have expressed my dislike of Princess. Actually most builders build good boats, it's just a matter of what is important to you.

Waiting over a year? I had no idea Princess had such a long lead time.
  9. baziado

baziado New Member

I was at the end of my search and was looking for a sanity check and if someone out there was going to add anything that I may have missed of great importance. I was also going back and forth in my mind as this is such a large purchase but I had also reached a point of wanting the search to end and was ready to be done with the looking. When it became clear I had not really missed anything I pulled the trigger. The 62 was just put up for sale in the US last week and the first one will not be here until Ft Lauderdale 17.......I was going to take that one but I have decided to wait for a march delivery a few months later in NY as I probably wont get much time to use it in Florida anyway.
  10. Capt J

Capt J Senior Member

The 65' Manhattan is a new model and don't know why it would be discontinued. It is a better boat than the princess in nearly every aspect. Speed, ride, build, quality AND access.

The Princess are an ok boat, but last new one I ran had LOTS of issues, mostly minor but a lot of them. Some not so little. Sunroof was replaced twice, once before the owner took delivery because it fell apart on the seatrial AND directly after the owners first trip (through the bahamas) because it fell apart again. The princess like to pound a little, and are a little wet. The engine room access is generally horrible on them, making maintaining them difficult. Other than that they're ok. But the Sunseeker is a better riding, faster and better built. Better riding/running and more efficient than a Hatteras but not as well built (thin teak new, gelcoat cracking issues as they age, and some interior wood finish issues as they age (Princess suffers the same issues nut not a little better gelcoat)).
  11. Liam

Liam Senior Member

That is why Capt.J I rate a Ferretti above Sunseeker. I have friends who have ten year old plus Ferretti 630s or 68s mid 2000, no gel coat issues, no hairline cracks. Furniture never a problem.
    These friends use there boats, crossed all the Western med nearly every other season from Italy to Balearic Coast. Most of the times you get some rough weather in this.

Now I have a friend who just bought the new 65 Manhattan, he did all Adriatic Coast, have to wait how it compares on his previous Azimut.
    Ferretti is raising there game again, with the new boats, and now to cut more off they are about the same price as some of the Brits.
    Agreed; new Sunseeker better then new Princess if it was for the much modern look, Fairline is getting there. They where the best British boat till 2009.
    New owners know what they are doing. Also I would not cut out the new Azimut 66 in this list, I am hearing positive feedback on that boat.
    And last you can also look at the Searay L650 or Marquis (but I do not know what they are doing?).
  12. olderboater

Searay L 650 is a rather spectacular boat but owners developing very long lists of items after delivery. Just a pain in that regard. The boat performs well and the layout is great. Much better than the L590 which has the pods.

Marquis isn't doing much of anything. Marquis down to 4 models.

The Azimut seems to depend on which side of the pond you're on. Service in Europe seems good and in the US generally not good.

We don't own a Ferretti, but do own Riva's and have found the quality superb plus love the performance. I think the Ferretti Group is the quality Italian builder of smaller yachts.

We have a Manhattan 65 and so far have put covered about 7000 nm and put just over 400 hours on it. We're very pleased with it. We did change out a few things up front. We knew of the gelcoat issues they have and know that they may or may not have resolved them. At the first sign of them, we plan on painting. We thought about doing so before ever using it. It rides well, handles rough conditions well. We have Sleipner/Sidepower Vector Fins for stabilizers and love them. We did get the larger engine, 1200 hp MAN, and it cruises between 26 and 28 knots, WOT 31-32 knots. We did not go the IPS route. Very nice boat, just not the performance of a similarly sized Riva, but Riva has nothing in that range with a flybridge.

I am definitely rooting for Fairline. I love their designs and think the 65 Squadron is a great design. Comparable speed to the Manhattan 65. Their financial issues just kept them out of one's thoughts for a while.
  13. Capt J

Capt J Senior Member

I'm not a fan of the Feretti's. The low headroom and overhangs don't sit well with me. They perform and ride well. But on the older ones seeing all steel steering gear and stuff rusting away is a turn off. Not to say that they may or may not be a great boat and every builder has their issues. Honestly if you're comparing ten year old 2006 motoryachts. Hatteras' fare by far better than any of the builders. The interior fabrics and woodwork is still perfect, paint nice if taken care of, teak still very thick if taken care of properly......really no issues when it comes to the build itself.
  14. Dan L

Dan L New Member

Hello, it would be nice to hear about how did it go with your Princess choice. I am in some what at the same crossroad you where, but still a long way from purchasing. I am looking at the F70 Princess, the 72o Ferretti and the 68 Sunseeker.
  15. Capt J

Capt J Senior Member

I've run both the 70' Princess and the 66' Manhattan which I believe is the same hull as the 68'. The 70' Princess is a big 70' and a good seaboat and fast with 28 knot cruise. The 66' Manhattan also is a very good sea boat and relatively fast....24-27 knot cruise. Can't comment on the Ferretti.