Click for Abeking Click for Burger Click for Perko Click for Furuno Click for Delta

Porsche Boxster Questions

Discussion in 'Technical Discussion' started by Yachtwatch, Jan 8, 2005.

You need to be registered and signed in to view this content.
  1. Yachtwatch

Yachtwatch Guest

Off Topic Question

Maybe somone owns or has owned a Boxster Porsche

Does anyone have experience with Boxster Porsches? I am on the fence with the possible purchase of one with in the next couple of weeks. My biggest question is... Is this car to sporty to be used as a everyday car? The gas mileage is great I like that but what about day in day out driving is the suspension, coils, seats etc.. too stiff? Drivig at the dealership for 10 miles does not give me a idea. I put on around 150 miles a day. What is the wind noise with the top up on a conv. Is it quiet, can you still have a conversation on the cell phone or is there too much wind noise? I was also looking at Jag X-Type and some Mercedes but the lines of the porsche keep me coming back. Thanks for all your help.

Matthew
  2. Kevin

Kevin YF Moderator

I've only personally driven older 944s and 911s... however I do have friends and aquiaintances with other Porsches (996s, Boxsters).

A Porsche (virtually any Porsche) is quite possibly the greatest iteration of a "daily-driver sports-car" that you can buy. It's not likely to be quite as comfy as a Jag or Merc, but on the other hand... those two very sweet rides are not quite the sports-car that a Porsche is.
  3. capitan_buzo

capitan_buzo New Member

I have owned a Porsche Boxster S and it is a real fun car. Are you going to buy it new? You can drive it pretty much everywere. You just might have to go slow on the speed bumps. Some wierd people will key your car. It also costs like $200 bucks for an oil change. You have to do it at the Porsche dealer because it is a mid engine. You can easily talk on the cell phone with the top up or down. If you think about getting the Jag, It will always be in the shop. The Jag is not a good buy. You souldn't get the Mercedes either. That is because the roof of the car leakes when it rains. I own a car dealership and have owned many cars. I like the Porsche best of them all. Please tell me if you are going to buy the Porsche new of used. I have some more advise for you nut you need to tell me if you want it new or used. I hope this is of help to you.
    Nathan
  4. Yachtwatch

Yachtwatch Guest

Porsche

Im looking at both new and used ( used being no older then two years old with low miles) I have decieded on the Boxster over the over cars. Now I need to figure out which model of the Boxster to purchase. Its going to be a daily drive with over 200 miles per day on average. I did not know a oil change will put me back $200.00. I take it that the only place to get a oil change is the dealership with the car having a mid engine. Can you change the oil yourself? The performance specs show the average gas mileage is 29 26 is this a correct figure on gas mileage? How is the comfort of the seats? Is the Boxster relaible with engine mechanics? Anything to look out for or to avoid? Any and all advice is very appreciative.

Matthew
  5. capitan_buzo

capitan_buzo New Member

My big advise is to wait a couple of months and buy the 2006 Boxster S. It is a new model. Give me your email and I will scan you some photos and specs. fom the book I have. The current Boxster S has around 254hp and the New Model will have 280hp. If you get a stick you will have 18mpg city, 26mpg highway. With a triptronic s it is 1mpg city, 25mpg highway. You should always use a Porsche mechanic at the Porshe dealer. Make sure you only buy N rated tires. There is nothing you should look out for. I would suggest the extended warranty. You shouldn't change the oil yourself. The seats are real comfortble. I woould suggest electric seats and a real need is heated seats. I had one with heated and non heated seats and the heated seats make a real differance. Make sure your ties have good grip because I was diving it and hydroplaned because the tires were old and it was raining. I just bought the car at the auction. Hope this helps.
    Nathan
    capitan_buzo@yahoo.com
  6. Steven H

Steven H New Member

Being also a car-nut, petrol-head ...

If you really wanyt to know what it's like up-front,

Check http://www.evo.co.uk.

They have had many Porsches as long-termers and report on it monthly.
    On the home-page, scroll down untill you find "Fast Fleet" and goe back a few months. I think they said goodbye to their 2004 Boxster S a month ago. All was perfect, apart from rusting-brake discs, a small leakage and a stuck window if i remember well. The brake-disk rusting happened when at a stand-still for a couple of days and was sorted under warranty. Looking from your mileage that's not likely to happen.

O yeah, these guys have a rather heavy right-foot so the fuel-consumption in there is on the high-side for normal driving. The same for other consumeables like tyres and brake-pads.

They have experienced a few problems, but most of them where sorted quickly and under warranty.

I've driven a few of these cars (and similar ones) and the Boxster S definitely is a good choice, a comparable one (but much cheaper) is the Nissan 350Z.

In other words : buy the magazine. Especially last months where they tested the 2005 Boxster against a whole bunch of other performance cars.

Just briljant.

Have fun reading... :D

GReetz,

S.
  7. alloyed2sea

alloyed2sea Moderator

Un-Amerikan?

Well, to be honest, a Porsche SUV = Anti-Porsche.
    Sure, itz a great "off-roader", but why?
    Spells doom for the company (as we know it) - but hey, itz out-selling "real" Porsches 2-to-1: there must be a reason.
  8. D'ARTOIS

D'ARTOIS New Member

Porsche Boxster

In general - there are a number of Porsche drivers in the family - the Boxster is a nice car for everyday's use. It is not as fast as a Carrera, or an RS but it is a nice powerhouse specifically in curvy environments. There is nothing exotic about it, even your wife or girlfriend can drive it, without the risk that she burns the clutch. However 200 USD for an oilchange is outragious. Although it requires expensive synthetic oil, there is nothing that a good mechanic cannot execute. For the regular maintainance you better visit the dealer - better for resale-value and if something is not ok, you have somebody to talk to.
  9. Yachtwatch

Yachtwatch Guest

Thanks

I just purchased a 2005 Boxster s model. Love the car. The 200 USD is correct but oil needs to only be changed every 15 g miles ( dealer specs ) I have only had it for a week and have been pretty happy so far with it. I am using it as a everyday car 200 miles on average per day. Gas mileage is good averaging on the freeway around 30 city 27 not bad for such a fun car. Thanks all for your help....
  10. dogsharks

dogsharks Guest

I collect the older style wasserpumper Porsches such as the 928 and 944, presently have three. They're built like tanks.

http://www.network54.com/Forum/426130

All Porsche cars are known for lasting a long time. Some of the 944 cars have gone 300,000 miles before the cylinder head has to come off, and I know a guy with a 928 now who has run it strong up to 270,000 miles, recently sold it, and the new owner is out there driving it every day.

The newer Boxster should be a great car that should last a long time.
    2004, 2005, 2006 would be the preference.

Regards, Dogsharks