Click for Mag Bay Click for Glendinning Click for Abeking Click for Mulder Click for Westport

Polyurea Coatings...for boats?, Dragonshield ballastics

Discussion in 'Technical Discussion' started by brian eiland, Jul 3, 2011.

You need to be registered and signed in to view this content.
  1. brian eiland

brian eiland Senior Member

2. brian eiland

I'm surprised at the lack of interest, and/or comments on this material ?
  3. YachtForums

YachtForums Administrator

I, for one, appreciate when you share your findings Brian. While most consumers may not follow materials or manufacturing processes, you can bet the industry does, but they would be the last to post here. A polyurea coating could certainly be a sales tool for certain brands! ;)
  4. RT46

RT46 Senior Member

i have seen it somewhere as a coating on wooden boat hulls.

It also seems to be a great product to reseal flat roofing.
  5. AlfredZ

AlfredZ Senior Member

Is that what is allegedly used as a ballistic protection on MY Eclipse?

Cheers,
  6. brian eiland

Attached Files:

7. RVN-BR

RVN-BR Senior Member

Can you please explain what (if any) are the uses/advantages of this for pleasure yachts? more specifically i'm talking about steel or aluminum vessels in the 45m size ballpark... Would this be a sort of antifouling replacement? before A/F? after? please explain a bit more? Is this useful for non-stressful (i.e. non-impact) yachts? (no ice regions, etc? maybe this can help if hitting some debris in open sea?)

please elaborate in general? i'm interested but the website and your post dont seem to bring any clearness to my questions, seems more geared at commercial/or "we do anything" approach, which afaik could mean we do nothing if you know what i mean hehehe

I'm genuinely interested... thanks!

PS: if you think its better to discuss in PM thats fine as maybe it will violate rules as i understand it is your business?
  8. brian eiland

I'm sorry, I just noticed that my posting made it appear as though I was directly involved with this/these polyurea products(s). I am NOT. I was repeating the opening statement on the website I posted the link to. Sorry for the confusion.

I was originally attracted to this product for its potential anti-fouling potentials
    http://www.yachtforums.com/forums/121025-post8.html

It seems to have some mixed reviews in that capacity, but not a total write-off.
    http://www.yachtforums.com/forums/151838-post16.html

New antifoul discovery - 100% effective AND green

I was looking at buying an older wood vessel recently. And I have owned two other wood vessels in the past. I believe this product could certainly have some uses to help make these older wood vessels viable for a number of years 'past their time' without resorted to full rebuilds.

I'm also thinking of some possible applications on steel hulled vessels, possible inside as well as outside. I have more research on the subject to do, but meantime when I run across some newer applications or such, I try to post them to this subject thread to maintain a running account.

I willingly accept the input from others, both positive and negative. Here's one on another forum:
    Rubberised paint for steel decks?