Click for Ocean Alexander Click for Mulder Click for YF Listing Service Click for Delta Click for Walker

Podded propulsion

Discussion in 'Technical Discussion' started by leonidas, Mar 2, 2006.

You need to be registered and signed in to view this content.
  1. leonidas

leonidas New Member

We are currently evaluating different propulsion systems for a 45 m semi-displacement hull form newbuilding. We have quite a lot of experience with the conventional shaft-fixed or cp propellers -rudder configuration, modearte experience with water jets, but not at all with azimuthing pods. Any input or suggestions from the readers is most welcome.
    We think that CRN Shipyard at Ancona has already built yachts with this system.
  2. Ken Bracewell

Ken Bracewell Senior Member

I have not had any experience running an aziod on a yacht, but there was a Royal Denship in Florida last year on which I saw a steady stream of new captains and even more yacht painters fixing scratches!
  3. Codger

Codger YF Wisdom Dept.

4. YachtForums

YachtForums Administrator

5. YachtForums

YachtForums Administrator

Whoops! We posted at the same time Codger. :D
  6. Codger

Codger YF Wisdom Dept.

Just goes to show that there are at least two of us with a keen interest in this particular subject. " Pods, got to go read this NOW!":D
  7. Crewagency

Crewagency Guest

Azipod Propulsion

The Royal Denship did not have Azipods on Board it was a Schottel Propulsion.
    www.schottel.com It looks like Azipods but the e-engines has to be installed inside the boat.

I placed an Engineer on a new Benetti with Azipods and will contact him for some technical details. I only know that the first seatrails are very successfull.

Also the new Lürssen ICE ex AIR sails with this " new " technology.

I think the only problem with AZ is that if a problem comes up you must drydock to check the Engines but most of the latest passanger ships use this and they sail normally more than a Yacht and most of them without any problems.

Also ICE is able to sail only with the schottel browthruster in the next harbour with a maximum speed of 2-3 knots if the main propulsion did not work.
  8. wdrzal

wdrzal Senior Member

Am I wrong or is the term azipod just refer to a thruster(propellor) mounted on a pod so it can turn (azimuth)360 degrees. how the pod is driven does not matter or where the motor is located. ABB marine and schottle are just company names who produce different drive mechanisms for their azipods. one direct and the other with shafts and gears and pinions.

Azimuth is the horzontal componate of direction.
  9. Crewagency

Crewagency Guest

Different propulsion

I think there are many different solutions for the Azipod propulsion.
    1. We have the ABB Azipods where the electric engine is integrated outside directly in the Pods and the power comes from gensets located inside via cables.

2. Then we have the Schottel Twin Propellors where normal Engines
    are installed with normal shafts and a special gear to the outside pods.

The main generator sets, two Caterpillar 3512B, rated at 1200 kW, 1500 rpm, and two Caterpillar 3408C rated at 300 kW, 1500 rpm, are located midships. The smaller gensets are placed in a soundproof compartment and used for station keeping and idling speeds up to 9 knots.

ABB Marine Deliveries 2004 :

* Main Switchboards, 690 V, 50 Hz
    * 2 x 1070 kW Compact Azipod Propulsion
    * Distribution Transformers and Filters
    * Integrated Machinery Automation Systems
    ____________________________________________________-
    2nd Picture below
    The SCHOTTEL Twin-Propeller (STP) is the successful optimization of the complete Rudderpropeller system with an efficiency up to 20% higher. It is the ideal means of propulsion for all vessels in the medium speed range with application-related higher propeller loads.

Two propellers mounted on a common shaft and rotating in the same direction, with guide fins integrated into the complete system, result in a host of advantages, including high reliability due to the straightforward construction with a small number of moving parts, reduction of the propeller diameter without penalising the efficiency, lower fuel costs and low maintenance requirements.

Attached Files:

10. K1W1

K1W1 Senior Member

Hi,

I think you are going to be wasting your time fitting Azipods to a 45m yacht.

They take up a lot of room with the switchboards etc and in my opinion are just too much for a smaller yacht.
  11. wdrzal

wdrzal Senior Member

Yes, I know how they work,but you made the statement that royal denship did not have azipod propullsion which it does,right? Any pod that turns is a azipod, since the azi comes from azimuth, as long as the pod turns,does not even have to be 360. RD just has schottle azipods.

Doesn't the schottle turn?
  12. og.marinov

og.marinov New Member

Hi Friends,
    I am curious, why so late the azipods starts to be object for discussion too late. The main advantages, of such kind of propulsions, are applicable of the power yachts.
  13. leonidas

leonidas New Member

You are probably right. Hence the need for evaluation from all angles including that of space, weight versus increase in hydrodynamic efficiency. Makers claim a 10 to 15% improvement over conventional shaft/bracket/propeller and rudder configuartion.
    In case any reader wishes to do further research, here some more information in the web:
    www.abb.com
    www.air-composite.com
    www.marinelog.com/DOCS/PRINT/mmipods.html
    www.nautican.com
    www.omnithruster.com
    www.roll-royce.com/marine/default.jsp
    www.schottel.com
    www.vdvelden.nl
  14. Codger

Codger YF Wisdom Dept.

Leonidas
    I have no reason to doubt the claimed increases in hydrodynamic efficiency.
    Whether or not overall system efficiency is increased is another question.
    As you stated, total propulsion system weight as a percentage of the total vessel would have to be one question answered. The one clincher if going the diesel electric azipod route could be the opening up of options as to powerplant placement and therefore weight distribution and perhaps the placement of ancilliary systems. Just throwing a thought out here, but that versatility may actually be just as important in a 45 metre vessel since configurations might make a significant difference in the overall space utility available. Not being tied to a direct shaft might make noise and vibration control easier and more effective with a potential increase in the overall reliability and longevity of the entire craft.
    I'm just looking at an unrelated project and the added cost and complexity due to vibration just in fastening systems would be halved if vibration were not an issue as well as adding significantly to estimated MTBF.
  15. Innomare

Innomare Senior Member

azipod for semi-displacement

Hi Leonidas

to answer your initial question:

I am a big fan of the azipod system as I know it from ABB. I can't speak for other systems on the market as I have no experience with them.

I wouldn't bet my life on it, but I would be extremely surprised if it was a valid choice for a semi-displacement motoryacht (regardless of the size we're talking about). The main reasons are the added weight and the added hydrodynamic resistance.
    The weight is not a point in most displacement yachts, as it located low and actually good for the stability. In a semi-displacement yacht however, every ton counts and usually you don't want to make them any more stable than they already are.

The resistance of the propeller hub and motor is also a far more important factor at semi-displacement speeds than at displacement speeds.

I am sceptical, but if you want to investigate these systems, I'd focus on the Schottel system, as they have more propeller area for less underwater drag...
    So far, I haven't seen a single pod on anything else than a displacement vessel.

Bruno
    Naval Architect
    Innomare

PS azipod is actually the brand name of ABB's system, like Rolls Royce have the Mermaids. In general we should speak of "azimuthing podded propulsion systems".
  16. Innomare

Innomare Senior Member

Actually, I just checked the weights of the Schottels, and I think you should forget about it alltogether.
    With a weight of about 40 tons per piece, there is no way you'll ever get that boat any faster than displacement speed.

Sorry, but in any case thumbs up for the innovative owner!

Bruno
  17. tummyfish

tummyfish New Member

azipod

...I have 5 years operational experience with podded propulsion (from the construction through 2 dry docks) on the gas turbine cruiser...pls be more specific with the question...I might give you a hint...
  18. og.marinov

og.marinov New Member

First of all we should answer of the next questions – what we need, what kind of problems should be solved choosing azipod, the well-known old Z-drive: space, noise, maneuverability, resistance, price, weight, maintenance?
    After that to discuss.
  19. leonidas

leonidas New Member

Bruno,
    How do you come up with the 40 tons weight for the Schottel. What is included?
    By the way, your chaps at Eindhoven University together with MARIN are doing a brilliant job on the new pod models.
  20. brian eiland

brian eiland Senior Member

Rim Drive Azimuthing Prop

When I look at these photos,
    http://www.yachtforums.com/forums/23867-post8.html

and then the three below, I ask, isn't this the new future of azimuth drives??
    The electric motor and the azimuthing propeller in a compact unit. And potentionally serviceable without hauling the ship

Attached Files: