Click for Mulder Click for Mulder Click for Perko Click for Furuno Click for Westport

PLC Types

Discussion in 'Technical Discussion' started by bradm, Mar 14, 2005.

You need to be registered and signed in to view this content.
  1. bradm

bradm New Member

I would like to take an online course on PLC's used on the larger yachts. I know Allen-Bradley, Siemens etc all make PLC's but I am not sure which manufacturer types are commonly found on the yachts. Or are all brands found.

Any help in the PLC education area would be greatly appreciated.

Thanking you in advance.
  2. CCJJ

CCJJ New Member

PLC's used for Boat Automation

If you haven't already found it go to ..
    www.plcs.net
    Lots of experts there - good forums - online tuition - it's mainly industrial control but the same principles of control automation apply.
    From what I can see most plc's used in Marine applications are found in areas like engine management and are localised control systems provided by the individual supplier of the equipment - so they are likely to be AB or Siemens etc;
    Boats are a perfect opportunity for a central control system such as an industrial SCADA (Supervisory Control and Data Aquisition) but most systems used on boats still seem to be largely hard wired and lacking in communication capabilities with any other onboard automation devices.
    Correct me if I'm wrong or if you find anything useful.
    Regards
    Colin CJ Johnson
  3. Steven H

Steven H New Member

Hiya,

I am bulding (have partially designed) a system that allows full-integration using Industrial technologies and modern-day IT-Technologies for all on)board systems. Anything that can send / receive any data (no matter what protocol) can be intergrated. (audio/video/satellite/i-net/HVAC/radar/lighting/access-control/tracking/alarm-and-protection/security/onboard LAN/...)

Sadly enough I can not provide you with further details yet as loads of it still is under development and in its design-phase and the company as a legal entitiy does not fully exist yet. This makes that I'll be waiting to apply for patents untill this is done..

Many many boat-builders get ripped off because of so cold "high-end" systems, but they are basically using 5% of its capabilities. Waisting a lot of money or they are paying for options/capabilities they will never use ..

GReetz,

Steven H.
  4. AMG

AMG YF Moderator

Here is a project I was involved in 25 years ago until the shipyard closed down. Later in the 80:s the boat was finished and I doubt you can find a more advanced system even today...
    http://www.butterfly-mcqueen.com/tcs.htm
  5. CCJJ

CCJJ New Member

Must have been some installation

This would have been real leading edge stuff at the time. As you rightly say you would be hard pressed to find anything similar even today. I've installed a lot of control systems in various applications over a number of years - and I can imagine that this would have been a real headache - all credit to the designer to have had the vision. Looks to me like a one off though.
    Most of the control technology I've seen in modern boats seem to be centered only around navigation etc; and nothing to do with mechanical control and automation.

Regards
    Colin CJ Johnson