Click for Westport Click for Mulder Click for Glendinning Click for Burger Click for Nordhavn

Permanon or other Finishes

Discussion in 'General Yachting Discussion' started by John Sakovits, Oct 26, 2015.

You need to be registered and signed in to view this content.
  1. John Sakovits

John Sakovits Member

All,

I would like to get your opinion on what fiberglass finish you use. I have been seeing some boats use Permanon and would like to get folks opinion. If you use a wax, what type ? If you use something similar to Permanon, what type ?

Thanks,
  2. ychtcptn

ychtcptn Senior Member

I use permanon extensively on my boat. We have paint that is 12 years old, we buff every 6 months and immediately permanon afterwords then again in about 2 months. I had found that after buffing, the shine on the crowns and inside bulworks on the bow would not last, but with permanon we shine great! People are constantly amazed that our paint is 12 years old, we usually shine better than boats with paint 1/4 of our age. It is also great and glass and stainless.
  3. Capt J

Capt J Senior Member

What fiberglass finish do you have?

On Gelcoat I like Collinite fleet wax. The 3m with scotchguard isn't bad either.

On Awlgrip, I use the Awlcare. Awlgrip should not be waxed according to the manufacturer.

On Alexseal, they have a list of recommendations. The Meguiars flagship wax works well on it.
  4. John Sakovits

John Sakovits Member

Thanks - just to clarify the finish is gel coat.