Click for Northern Lights Click for Mag Bay Click for Burger Click for Westport Click for Nordhavn

PC Navigation Software

Discussion in 'Electronics' started by brianwill, Aug 12, 2004.

You need to be registered and signed in to view this content.
  1. brianwill

brianwill New Member

Is anybody using PC navigation software that they would recommend?
  2. JHA

JHA Senior Member

I like Nobeltec,You can't beat the charts, and the features. Plus it's easy to use. but it's pricey and their customer service sucks...
    I also really like Northstar. good charts and features, but again... pricey.
  3. brianwill

brianwill New Member

JHA,

Do you run any navigation software on a notebook computer? I'm thinking about putting a mount for my laptop on the flybridge to supplement my existing chartplotter to see if I want to sink the money into one of the new 10 - 12" screen models.
  4. John B

John B Senior Member

I have Nobeltec on a laptop, but don't use it to run the boat. It is a third backup on board and primamrily used to chart my trips and then upload to the onboard chartplotter (Northstar).

Nobeltec has tons of features, but there are many things that seem - not quite finished. For example, it has ports and services info - well most are not in the correct locations and most have little or no information. Static out of date info that you cannot update. Also, documentation isn't that great. And as JHA indicated support is terrible.

With regard to uploading to a chartplotter - well it works but is a bit quirky. Lately, I mostly use it for reference and then just update the chartplotter directly on my own.
  5. brianwill

brianwill New Member

Thanks John. What's the "Plus" package on your Azimut 68? That's a beatiful yacht--we looked at them in Miami two years ago.
  6. John B

John B Senior Member

Thanks Brian

It's just the name of the model - the 68 is called a 68 plus. They also just came out with a 68S, which is an express