Click for Glendinning Click for Abeking Click for Nordhavn Click for Perko Click for Mulder

Palmer Johnson 120 Nautical Range

Discussion in 'Palmer Johnson Yacht' started by NoLimit, Jan 12, 2009.

1. NoLimit

NoLimit New Member

I have searched around the internet and the forum for quite some time and I have yet to find an aswer to my question. Does anyone by chance know what the range of a Palmer Johnson 120 is? I am trying to compare it to a few other yachts, one being the Calixas 105 that I went on at the 2007 FLIBS. I am just a little curious. I apologize if this is a repeat question.
  2. Yacht News

Yacht News YF News Editor

Can you compare the PJ120 to the Calixas 105? I thought they were two different classed yachts. The Calixas being a quicker trawler type yacht and the PJ120, an opened styled sports yacht.
  3. NoLimit

NoLimit New Member

I know that it sounds ludicrous to compare the two. Yes they are completely different, however I am not sure which type I like better. The Calixas seems as though it can go where ever the owner desires, where as the PJ120 gives me the impression that it is slightly limited to its destinations. When I went aboard the Calixas I was very impressed on how luxurious it felt and yet had the expedition capabilities amd style. I have yet to go aboard a PJ120, however the pictures I have seen prove it is a luxurious sports yacht. I understand they are completely different, however, in my eyes I like them both almost equally. I am trying to distinguish one better than the other, and thats where my question of range comes in.
  4. Capt J

Capt J Senior Member

Try contacting the manufacturers to see if they have any range figures they can give you.

Another option is to go to the engine manufacturers website and get a fuel vs rpm graph. Take that info and compare it to the speeds if there is an article on power and motoryacht and develop your own range calculations and figure 90% of that and you should be about right. For example GPH (at cruise) divided by boat speed= gallons per mile then take 90% of published fuel capacity and divide it by gallons per mile. Your best range will be running the engines at 1,000rpms or less (usually) on a planing hull.

What engines and cruising speed does the vessel have?
  5. NoLimit

NoLimit New Member

I am unable to find any specifications on the vessel's website, and not much in the search engines. I suppose contacting the manufacturers is my best bet to obtain a specification sheet? Thanks for the quick reply and the formula!