Click for Mulder Click for Northern Lights Click for MotorCheck Click for Nordhavn Click for YF Listing Service

Onboard Water Filtration for Yachts?

Discussion in 'Watermakers' started by ychtcptn, Feb 18, 2016.

You need to be registered and signed in to view this content.
  1. Beau

Beau Senior Member

I've heard that water makers can be a real pain if you don't use them regularly?
  2. olderboater

olderboater Senior Member

Like any equipment with a couple of additional issues. Basically you regularly flush it but if it's going to sit unused you pickle it. Then you don't use the first 20 minutes or so of water after.
  3. Capt Ralph

Capt Ralph Senior Member

Of course, your not going to run it in an anchorage or near any area subject to poo and/or pollutants.
    Never run a R/O in Marsh Harbor is a great example.
  4. Capt J

Capt J Senior Member

They can be. I've seen Algae grow in the pre-filters and stuff. Should be flushed every 2 weeks so the membranes stay wet. I've run them in any area where there is decent current and not trapped in a marina with one opening like Atlantis. Most boaters follow the rule of make water during the day and pump out at night, but that's not always the case. Pickling them is a double edged sword as many say it will destroy the membranes. I prefer to just keep them flushed.
  5. Pascal

Pascal Senior Member

We use a charcoal filter and a UV light. Water taste very good! And I am a water snob :) I can't stand "drinking water" and never understand how that crap even sells Our tap water taste better than drinking water. When I buy bottled water it s usually Evian, Fiji or Florida s zephyrhill.

The key is to use the tanks! I never hook up to dock water so water never stays in the tanks very long
  6. Pascal

Pascal Senior Member

The problem in the north east is plankton. We had a 50 micron plankton filter before the standard 20 and 5 microns but even that woudl require cleaning every 6 to 10 hours. it s a reusable SS mesh filter. Pain in the neck...

Down south and in the bahmas, no need for it. In the bahamas the 20 and 5 microns last as much as 50 hours on our 900gpd WM The key is to be careful , for instance don't run it when anchoring or docking in shallow water as the stirred up sand will quickly clog the pre filters...
  7. Scallywag

Scallywag Member

First, we constantly run from our tanks only, no dockside water. This keeps our water fresh.

After the pump, we have a whole home 25 micron inline charcoal filter.

At the galley sink, we have an under the sink reverse osmosis filter. This supplies our ice maker and drinking water tap with very pure drinking water. This is a standard home unit that operates at low pressure (30 - 60psi) and reduces our dockside water of 180ppm to about 10ppm. The drinking water and ice tastes fantastic.

We use a watermaker while cruising to keep the tanks topped off. We just replaced our 400gpd watermaker with a 700gpd unit. I have an automatic flush add-on that I have yet to install, but I just manually flush the watermaker weekly. Maintenance is a big deal, and the payoff of unlimited water while cruising is worth it.
  8. K1W1

K1W1 Senior Member

You state in the first line No dockside water then go on to say your under sink filter reduces dockside water to about 10ppm so I am little confused as to the use of dockside water or not.
  9. Perlmudder

Perlmudder Member

I think he is referring to hooking up dockside water and bypassing the holding tank. On a 53 carver I used to run you could use dockside water plumbed directly into the boat and bypass the tank and pumps, or fill the tank and use that. If you bypass the tank the water in the tank could end up sitting for quite a while.
  10. Capt J

Capt J Senior Member

Yes, but that unlimited fresh water comes at a price of electricity and about 25 amps worth on most decent sized watermakers. Plus the cost of the membranes, pre filters etc. On yachts under 65' that don't anchor and don't have a watermaker and don't spend more than 30 days a year in the Bahamas, I tell my customers to just buy the marina water, if they don't have a watermaker already. On boats over that, 50 gph I recommend or larger, that way can refill the tank in not a lot of hours when moving from place to place.
  11. Pascal

Pascal Senior Member

Yeah it all depends on how you use the boat. For marina jumpers, indeed you need to spend a lot of times in the bahamas for a WM to be worth installing.

Now for those of us who prefer anchoring out with great views and not be crowded by neighbors, a watermaker is pretty much a must have.

On boats that don't have inverters and will run on Genset pretty much 24/7 then the size isn't that critical as you will usually have plenty of juice to run it. Now, if you have an inverter and run the Genset just 4 or 5 hours a day to recharge then yes, you need something big enough to make all the water you need during that time frame.

It also depends not just on how many people you have onboard but their gender. Women use a lot more water than men:). Younger women even more.., and long haired specimen will ran a 400 gal tank dry in no time :)
  12. olderboater

Yes, right now we have on board 9 women, 7 who would qualify as young, 5 with very long hair. Three men on board. That's why we have 1780 gallons of water plus two 1800 gallon watermakers.
  13. Capt Ralph

Capt Ralph Senior Member

Think your loosing the fresh water war. lol....
  14. olderboater

No, we've never lost that war.
  15. RT46

RT46 Senior Member

I lost!
  16. Capt Ralph

Capt Ralph Senior Member

Then why did you not invite me? Think you need some more Crappy Man power (help) on board.
    Last edited: Feb 22, 2016
  17. Capt Ralph

Capt Ralph Senior Member

LOL

I have a 12Vdc mini R/O in storage. Probably 125GPD, Would that help?
  18. Lepke

Lepke Member

US West Coast. Cruise NW Passage to Alaska.
    I have a homemade water maker. I carry membranes for salt, brackish and fresh water because of the places I anchor. I haven't used city or marina water in 5 years. I filter the incoming water thru 20, 5 and 1 micron 4.5x20 filters wherever I am. After the membrane I use a GAC, CTO and uv light before the tank. My tanks are galvanized steel. After the tank a GAC and another uv light. I chlorinate the tanks every year or so and then dump them. I don't care to drink even small amounts of chlorine. Membranes I'm not using get cleaned and pickled. I buy my filters by the case on ebay. I can run city water thru the post membrane filters. The private dock I stay at in the winter has no water supply and the close by marinas have bad water.
  19. bobhorn

bobhorn Member

Why different membranes? Can you just not adjust the back pressure to compensate for salinity? That's how I ran my homemade water maker.
  20. Capt J

Capt J Senior Member

I can't understand that either. I've run lower pressure with normal membranes. For pure freshwater right around 100 psi gives you the same output as around 800 psi in saltwater. Brackish is close to saltwater in pressure.