Click for YF Listing Service Click for Westport Click for YF Listing Service Click for Burger Click for Burger

On the Hard

Discussion in 'General Yachting Discussion' started by Kafue, Jan 19, 2016.

You need to be registered and signed in to view this content.
  1. Capt Ralph

Capt Ralph Senior Member

I shop for NOS and good looking used 32Vdc pumps, equipment and parts.

My last project customer took near all of my pumps and 32Vdc motors. I'm out shopping again.

I still have a new, 32Vdc, 800 gph bilge pump. It will probably go in my museum and never a boat.
  2. Capt J

Capt J Senior Member

Yeah, Rule still produces the 32 volt Rule 2000 gph, which a lot of 32 volt boats have as bilge pumps. They're a bit much to be used for most of those 32 volt boats sump pumps
  3. Kafue

Kafue Senior Member

I heard that the wrecks were reduced, but thought the sea would still be calmed by the wrecks left under water?
    It would literally be a travesty if reducing the wrecks height has ruined the anchorage!
    For those that would like to know what we are referring to:

Attached Files:

4. Capt Ralph

Capt Ralph Senior Member

In the pictures alone, I would say something has been working well for a long time. Why would anybody want to mess up something good for no apparent reason.

Oh, like here (the US) some politico woke up in the wrong bed.

That must be a lot of fun; ocean side and still protection for your boat.
  5. Capt Ralph

Capt Ralph Senior Member

So it cycles more. Nothing settles in the sump.
    We did go thru a few float switches till we found good ones.
    Once the mercury switches went away, the new switches are only 1 out of 5 prove good. And when you have a good one, it keeps on going.
    Probably why the new switches have snap-in basses. Quick R&R.

Xylem-Rule seem to make only fast selling items. No dust collectors on the shelves.
    I can understand this.
    Lucky for us; Red-necks will still make things work.

32Vdc lives
    71s rule
    Last edited: Jan 25, 2016
  6. Capt J

Capt J Senior Member

Yeah but in the small sump boxes like Hatteras uses, you pretty much have to use a check valve and elevate the switch about 1/2 an inch, or use the round cylinder ultra switches.

I only use the Rule super switches, never the cheaper rule a matic. For the $5 price difference I'm not going to use the cheaper switch with the smaller wires that don't last as long. However, the Rule super switches did go though a phase for about 3 years when they changed the shape where a lot didn't last. They've seemed to be good quality again for the last 2 years from what I've seen.

On the anchorage, why not just leave the wrecks there? It gives it character and something to snorkel around plus breaks down the seas.
  7. Liberty

Liberty Senior Member

Oh god, we are furious with what they did. Why the hell would would you mess with the wrecks? We are turning into a pink blamange of society. They say that there is a risk of injury to swimmers, and therefore involving lawsuits. So screw the lawyers and change legislation.

We will die suffocated in pillows.
  8. Kafue

Kafue Senior Member

Have not been able to get to the wrecks for while, but heard about the destruction, just thought and hoped it did not take away the below surface protection that the wrecks give.
    A great aspect of the Tangalooma wrecks is or perhaps WAS, it is an extremely uncomfortable and sometimes dangerous anchorage in the more prevalent winds: Southerly, Westerly or combination of those, plus even a strong Northerly.

It is an anchorage you must plan for. Amazing in a light N/E. World class!

This means that although it is superb for diving, fishing and everything else, there are long periods where there is no safe anchorage place. Sea life is given a chance to replenish; multitudes of day boaters stay clear.

I have dived in some incredible locations, yet the diving here and especially nearby, is superb, large Cobia, Mackerel and Snapper are caught on the spot and a short boat trip away you can access an ocean full of life.
  9. PacBlue

PacBlue Senior Member

I always have said the 53 was the best looking Hatteras around, it just seems to have the right balance, a timeless look and that broken SHEER is absolutely beautiful.

At one time, Rybovich was claiming to have been the first to have a broken sheer (for a sportfisher at least), but those things are hard to document. Funny thing though, Jack Hargrave did an early stint as a Rybovich draftsman, before he embarked on his legendary career, including putting down the beautiful lines of this 53 Hatt.

Not a bad looking bottom either ;)