Click for Westport Click for Furuno Click for JetForums Click for Cross Click for Comfort

OK am I the only Cruisers owner?

Discussion in 'Cruisers Yacht' started by Jeffc, Feb 2, 2004.

1. Jeffc

Jeffc New Member

If anyone can tell me if they have a 3360 esprit with twin 350 Crusaders with 3 blade props..... I'm thinking about changing the 2 four blader's to 3.........
  2. Slustig

Slustig New Member

Nope. I got me a 4270 with 420hp diesels. How do you like yours?
  3. Jeffc

Jeffc New Member

Cruisers #2

well this is the second Cruiser I have owned. for about 5 years I had a Holiday 2670 and had put many hours on it....
    Last summer a freind was selling his 3370 esprit ... well I had to do it the price was right. And well yep its a great ride. with twin Crusaders 350 and a 5000 gererator life is good...

This size boat for Cape Cod bay is fun....
  4. adambomb

adambomb Member

I have one to if you need any help with it or have anything for me give a shout
  5. jwilson22

jwilson22 New Member

5470 owner

Own '03 5470 with 800hp Cats. Fantastic boat.
  6. Steven Appel

Steven Appel New Member

Were joining the Cruisers family

We are going to take delivery on a used 4450 ( 2002 ) with 465 Yanmars this week. Will be keeping her at the Inner Harbor in Baltimore, Md.
  7. bob007

bob007 New Member

3670 Cruisers

Hello everyone !st post just purchased 3670 Espirit :)
  8. MrTracy

MrTracy New Member

CRUISER VS SEA RAY

I am totally new to the boating scene. I was loking at the cruiser express and the sea Ray. Both are 2000 models. 34 or 36 feet. I am close to one of the biggest cruiser dealers in MD but there customer service skills are limited at best. The Sea Ray sales man is on top of his game. Any input is welcome.

Thanks
  9. JORGE SANTANA

JORGE SANTANA New Member

How has your experience been ?
  10. NYCAP123

NYCAP123 Senior Member

Your dealer will never be nicer or more accommodating than when he's trying to sell you a boat. Imagine how that dealer will be when you come back with a problem after purchase.
  11. 30West

30West Member

sold my '04 375 years ago. Loved the design, handling, looks. I worked on the engines, shafts, pumps, exhaust, electrical, it is well set up and thought out. I took it through bigger waves than I should for days, and it handled them amazingly well, great hull. But the build was lacking. Maybe just my year or era? Or maybe just my boat?

A balsa core can make a boat stronger and lighter, but if not built well at the factory, can be more expensive to fix than the boat is worth, can possibly fail dangerously. What I saw of this build caused me to lose confidence in this boat and Cruisers, I'm out.

My first problem was pointed out by the surveyor when I bought it: moisture in the deck around the deck windlass switches, and in a hatch. One windlass switch didn't work, so I bought two new ones with new covers, to make it look nice. I could barely stick my head in the anchor hatch to see under the deck there, and I saw the balsa core was open/exposed in the holes in the deck for those switches. That isn't just bad, that is a horrible oversight, to leave any balsa core exposed. Even worse, the switches were screwed down with no sealant, on non-skid deck. So rain had been freely running under those switches into the balsa core since new. Luckily the balsa wasn't rotted, I was able to dry it out and seal the new switches.

Next was the balsa core lid on the storage box on the swim platform, it was weeping brown water through cracks in the underside. Took it apart, the large latch hole was just drilled through the core and never sealed. The latch was installed without any sealant. Same with every fastener, just drilled through the core and not even a little surface sealant. I cut that lid open and scraped out the mushy balsa. Same problem with the lid over the swim platform ladder.

As I found and fixed balsa core problems, I never found an area of balsa coring where Cruisers had installed something, and sealed the core properly, or even put a dab of sealant on the surface. A dab of sealant on the surface would have been inadequate, but would have shown some effort or understanding of what they are doing. Even with solid fiberglass, you use some sealant when you penetrated into the glass fibers. With balsa core, you have to cut the balsa back away from the fiberglass surfaces, fill with resin or sealant, then install fasteners. Tedious, but necessary. For small holes you over-drill a larger hole, fill the hole with resin, let it harden, then drill through the solid resin and install.

I could see in the bilge Cruisers had not cored under the engines where thru-hull fittings were. So even poor builders would not cause that core to get wet, as long as they don't install anything through the core elsewhere. My boat was unmolested from the factory, nothing added or removed, I've not seen a boat that old so clean. But the cored decks and superstructure might be a problem some day, if not already, impossible to know, I couldn't stop worrying about it and sold.

I don't like to be critical of a boat builder, but I grew up in the marine industry, worked on a lot of boats, and it is embarrassing to see someone selling poor quality to unsuspecting customers. Maybe Cruisers has changed their way of building balsa cored boats, that was just my experience with this one boat.