Click for Furuno Click for Abeking Click for Mag Bay Click for Burger Click for Burger

Oil PSI Analog Guage Reading - Cruising in Rough Weather

Discussion in 'Technical Discussion' started by RAchten, Jun 7, 2015.

You need to be registered and signed in to view this content.
  1. RAchten

RAchten Guest

Hi - I have a bit of a newbie question. The other day when I was cruising in moderately rough seas, I noticed the needle on my engine oil psi gauge would drop every so often. It seemed to do so as I ran though some larger squalls. It would return back to the steady (healthy) psi that the needle had been at almost immediately.

Going to check the oil, but curious if anyone else's analog gauge needles move around or not during cruising.

Thanks
    Rich
    Last edited by a moderator: Jun 8, 2015
  2. Capt J

Capt J Senior Member

You have a loose connection, either at the gauge or at the oil pressure sender. Pressure should not change at cruise when you hit a swell.
  3. menkes

menkes Member

Just finished yesterday a day of very rough sea sailing with my hunter 45 .
    None of the mentioned problem was seen nor by me or my sailing partners.
    All of them, 3 expirianced sailers, remembered a problem like Rich's in their past.
    If the problem was in the engine side, you. Might hear short bursts of oil pressure alarm, did you?
  4. K1W1

K1W1 Senior Member

Always a good start when there is an oil pressure question.

Whilst highly unlikely a loose suction or loose/split discharge from the pump could result on a varying oil pressure but I would not think the motions you were experiencing in your yacht were enough to make these show up.

If you look and find nothing obvious fit a fully mechanical gauge and do a few test runs.
  5. Capt Ralph

Capt Ralph Senior Member

Drop a bit (40 psi to 38 psi), Some (40 psi to 32 psi), a lot (40 to 10) or complete loss of pressure to ZERO?
    Drops in a pot hole or riding swells?
    I'm assuming LBC (large block Chevy gas engines).
  6. RAchten

RAchten Guest

Hi Menkes -Thank you for your thoughts. There have been no alarms and no noticeable change in the engines outward performance. The needle drops for just a second then goes back to the reading it is always at. So, I am hopeful it is more just the analog gauge itself, and not an engine issue. It is a new boat to me, with only about 300 hours on the engines. I am still getting use to all of its individual behaviors.
  7. RAchten

RAchten Guest

Hi Capt J - Thanks, I tend to think that is what it is as well. It may have been that way for awhile, as I only have around 30 hours on this boat.
  8. NYCAP123

NYCAP123 Senior Member

Do your RPMs drop at the same time, and how much do each drop?
  9. Capt J

Capt J Senior Member

How much pressure drop are you seeing? Also a sender going bad or gauge will act the same way, but it sounds more like a loose connection, providing you have the proper amount of oil in the engine. Run the motor and tap on the gauge with your finger and see if it changes. Have someone move the sender wire while it's running, it should be pretty easy to figure out.
  10. RAchten

RAchten Guest

Hi NY - No change in the RPM's or any of the other gauges. Just this port side oil psi gauge. The needle recovers so fast, it is hard to say how many psi, but I would say maybe 5 or so psi change. Thanks
  11. NYCAP123

NYCAP123 Senior Member

I don't agree with the lose connection theory. Seems to me that it would be more constant since boats are always bouncing around. It sounds as if it happens when the running gear strains or cavitates pushing through seas. I think you have an actual fluxuation caused by something internal. Capt.J and K1W1 are more qualified to speculate on what that could be.
  12. Capt J

Capt J Senior Member

If it's only fluctuating 5 psi at cruise I wouldn't worry about it.
  13. NYCAP123

NYCAP123 Senior Member

Agreed. Just something to be watched.